AMD Raid Xpert2 (Raid config tool) raise some security concerns

On 10/19/2017 at 6:20 AM, leadeater said:

LSI is a bit nicer in that it runs the remote tools on chip on the card, ESXi can only see the storage that the RAID card shows it so you need a way to configure that then using the ESXi management tools rescan your storage and extend the datastore using the new space that was allocated to the volume/array. LSI also has multiple different authentication methods that you can use to secure this remote management including LDAP.

Edit:

Also local only storage using a RAID card for ESXi is rather rare now days anyway.

Edit 2:

Sorry was wrong you need an on host daemon for the MSM to connect to, the RAID card does have on chip management but only for it's web bios that can be accessed only during booting.

Not to mention newer versions of ESXi are moving to web interfaces... I kinda like it over the old app they had that if it broke you were royally fucked. At least with the web interface I can access it from different computers if the main server is being a dick and the web page keeps breaking on it.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)