Busted CPU??

Djoubert

First build, using the following:

- CPU: Ryzen 5 1600

- Mobo: MSI B-350 Tomahawk

- RAM: GeIL Evo Potenza DDR-4 3000MHz (PC4-24000), 2x8GB

- PSI: SeaSonic M12II 520 Bronze

- VGA: GIGABYTE GTX 1050 Ti

At the first boot, "RAM" and "CPU" EZ debug LEDs of the mobo turn on. Nothing on the monitor, even after 10 minutes (AMD's initial boot time being notoriously long), thus cannot even gety to BIOS and update it. I notice that a resistor on the backside of the mobo, right under the CPU socket, is loose and broken. Thinking that the mobo is the sole problem here, I get it replaced.

Upon receiving the new mobo, the exact same symptoms appear. CPU plugged in, cooler plugged in, mobo plugged in, monitor plugged on VGA, CPU placed correctly on socket, but "RAM" and "CPU" debug LEDs turn on. Reseting the CMOS didn't change anything; static definitely wasn't an issue here. Weird thing is, if I place RAM in slots NOT recommended for a 2-stick setup (ex.: DIMMA1 & DIMMB1 instead of DIMMA2 & DIMMB2), "RAM" debug LED turns off, but "CPU" LED stays on.

So... is this just a case of busted CPU (maybe due to the broken resistor on the first mobo)? What am I missing here?

Computers are notorious for trolling its builders, you can try 1 stick of ram in every slot, then try the other stick of ram in every slot.  The best way to figure out the problem is to have a bunch of spare parts to swap out to see which one is acting up.  First could you list every part of your build so we can double check compatibility?

POST Card

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

2 hours ago, ReezyJeezy said:

Computers are notorious for trolling its builders, you can try 1 stick of ram in every slot, then try the other stick of ram in every slot.  The best way to figure out the problem is to have a bunch of spare parts to swap out to see which one is acting up.  First could you list every part of your build so we can double check compatibility?

Thanks for the reply. The problem manifested itself as I test-benched the basic parts before even putting them in the case. The only parts I ever plugged in were those listed above - kept it as skinny as possible in the circumstances. As for the "RAM in every slot" (wish saying it aloud wasn't funny...), l arleady tried it, and it did got rid of the "RAM" debud LED, but not the "CPU"'s...

1 hour ago, CUDA_Cores said:

Skin your computer down to the minimum hardware required to POST. This means one stick or RAM, your CPU installed (duh), and use an even lower-end video card if you own one. 

If that doesn't work, start swapping that one stick of RAM into different slots on the board. 

If this still doesn't work, we know that either the RAM or CPU is dead. You will have to purchase or borrow some DDR4 for a friend. Then install the RAM and see if the system boots up. 

If this STILL doesn't work then yes, your CPU has gone dead. CPUs very rarely die but I have killed a couple myself personally. Th part I have killed the most personally is by far motherboards. 

Also you will probably be able to submit an RMA through AMD for the CPU. Since CPUs rarely die Intel and AMD are usually cool with returning a dead CPU as long as it hasn't been delidded. 

Thank you for the suggestions. I already had tried most of them, except borrowing different DDR4 RAM sticks; maybe I should get more tech-savvy friends;) I read that Ryzen chips can be finicky with RAM, and  the exact GeIL model I have isn't officially listed among the compatible RAM with MSI B-350 mobo, but 1) still weird that "CPU" debug LED lights up, and not "RAM", and 2) most similar cases I've heard of didn't prevent BIOS from booting. 

Anywho, I got an RMA for the CPU, as it seems the most logical culprit at this point ... I will keep you posted when the new CPU arrives.

Thanks again for the advices, much appreciated!

• 4 weeks later...

I had/have the same issue with my b350 tomahawk arctic, it happens every time I change any internal hardware, I just wait a while and it turns on eventually.