school project poll: the future of the internet

Glennieboyyy007

The future of internet (around 2050)  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What will the average internet speed be like?

• <100MB/s
    • 100MB/s
    • 500MB/s
    • 1000MB/s
    • >1000MB/s
  2. 2. Will everyone on the world be connected?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Will we face a big bottleneck in our current internet system?

• Yes
    • Maybe
    • No
  4. 4. Wil we have one ISP to rule them all?

• Yes
    • No
  5. 5. Will the internet still be a bit like how it is now or change very much, that it almost looks completely different?

• No
    • Yes, please share your vision on the internet in the comments!

Hey everyone, so i'm doing my last project on this school, which also counts with my grades to graduate so it needs to be good. (almost 18 years old now, just for reference on my school education level)

My topic is how the internet functions and some other crap around it, but i also have a poll in there which i'm posting here so you guys can fill it in if you want to.

if you don't want to do the poll, but want to leave your vision about the internet, please leave a comment.

also if you got any good other questions, please leave them in the comments!

Thanks for the help!!

~i5-7600k @5GHz ~Be Quiet! Dark rock 3 ~MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G ~Gigabyte GA-Z270-gaming K3 ~Corsair Vengeance Red led ~NZXT S340 Elite

1. 1000mb/s. I actually have no idea on this one. Sure there might be area's where consumers can have even faster internet. But there will still be area's where the infrastructure would bottleneck that speed.

2. No, though most people will be connected. But not everyone.

3. Yes, but mostly in more rural area's where the infrastructure is old and outdated.

4. No, not by any chance. I don't see how all those ISP's would merge into one in 33 years from now. Some will grow and some will be taken over by bigger ones of course.

5. Pretty much the same as it is now but with more things connected to it. Like home appliances. Example: Your fridge that keeps track of the food stored inside and it's freshness. It will send you a message what's about to expire or a shopping list.

CPU: i7-12700KF Grill Plate Edition // MOBO: Asus Z690-PLUS WIFI D4 // RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz CL14 

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 FE // PSU: Corsair RM750i // CASE: Thermaltake Core X71 // BOOT: Samsung Evo 960 500GB

STORAGE: WD PC SN530 512GB + Samsung Evo 860 500GB // COOLING: Full custom loop // DISPLAY: LG 34UC89G-B

"Will we face a big bottleneck in our current internet system?"
Is the current system ipv4 or ipv6?

1. Predominately in rural areas imo, the internet protocal is quite outdated and they are probably the most targeted areas for faster internet speeds. In terms of other tasks acquired by fast internet speeds such as transfering large files, downloading large files/uploading large files over wifi, this could potentially be a targeted segment where wireless internet connections will be more common, like servers for example that have switches with lots of people connected via ethernet like 10gbps, for example, to help speed up the process of whatever tasks they are doing, wireless internet connections could potentially be more common in this segment. The internet range also impacts the internet speeds, for example, my internet speeds range from 2.4GHz>72mpb/s to 5.0GHz>325mbp/s, the 5.0GHz range is smaller but faster when it comes to speed, the 2.4GHz range is slower in speed but has a bigger range, internet speeds could potentially be increased in the range side of things where ISPs will provide faster internet speed options for consumers. Price is also a contributing factor in this segment, with the implementation of faster internet speeds, raises the cost for consumers, for example, I pay $130 per month for unlimited data + home phone, the faster internet speed will raise the cost of your total payements. This is just my opinion on where internet speeds could benefit from in terms of wireless connections and where the implementation of faster internet speeds could be implemented.
  2. Typically, I think that mostly everyone in the world will be connected to the internet by 2050, aside from others who might not be able to for other reasons.
  3. For older devices and older internet protocols, yes. Modern day devices are probably most likely to be bound to have the compatibality to support faster internet speeds.
  4. Currently, there are a whole range of different IPSs who are providing internet services in lots of different countries throughout the world to many people, so there could possibly be a shortage in ISPs going out of business and being taken over larger corporations who will then take greater control of this.
  5. It probably will change a little in other areas around the network segment, but not alot.

22 minutes ago, Levisallanon said:

"Will we face a big bottleneck in our current internet system?"
Is the current system ipv4 or ipv6?

this is what we use now and now we use both ipv4, which is already used up, and ipv6, which still has got lots of roam for devices

~i5-7600k @5GHz ~Be Quiet! Dark rock 3 ~MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G ~Gigabyte GA-Z270-gaming K3 ~Corsair Vengeance Red led ~NZXT S340 Elite

Can't answer without knowing the timeframe.

I think it's impossible to say in the far future there won't be one government or at least council ruling over the entire globe, it's almost the case already.  And as a result I expect one or possible up to 5-10 ISPS to rule over all the global internet connectivity, as services to the government.  

I believe internet will be much faster and internet privacy will be totally ruined.  I expect the internet to be like television.  Where it's not measured in speeds, but by access to services.  And I think hosting a website will require a license and a domain will have to be purchased from a provider that has a license from the government. 

2 hours ago, .spider. said:

Can't answer without knowing the timeframe.

if you mean about which time we are talking, it's 2050, as seen in the poll title

1. Average may be a gig. As of right now utilizing a gig connection is next to impossible. Faster than that is pointless. 

2.No and yes, there will always be rural areas without internet on a physical line. Not every ISP can justify millions of dollars in hardware to supply a handful of people. As of right now EVERYONE has access to satellite internet. 

3.What bottleneck? Needs to be more clear. 

4.No, there a plenty of laws against that. 

5. Internet will be the same.