Graphic Design / Editing monitor suggestions?

Hey all,

My girlfriend has recently gotten into the profession of graphic design and I would like to build her a computer and get her a nice new monitor to help her along. 

I have a good enough knowledge to build her a PC that can handle doing this kind of work but when it comes to a proper monitor I start to get lost as my PC's are usually used for gaming...  which is more important sRGB, Adobe RGB, any other features I should be looking at? should it be 4K or is 1440p even acceptable?  Any photo/video editors or designers on here with experience that could provide some insight on this would be much appreciated.

I would like to stay around $600-1000.00 tax included for the monitor unless something above that would vastly enhance her work but seeing as she is just getting into it I don't see a purpose yet blowing 2000.00$+ on some insane monitor.

Ideally she would like to have a 27-32" screen, I am not apposed to an ultra wide setup as long as it meets the requirements of an editor.   Apart from her work she will be using the monitor for some gaming and every day use so I would like it to have a 60hz refresh rate and any freesync / gsync would be a massive bonus but not needed by any means. 

Any help or suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

TZ

those things only end up becoming important when you're 100% a professional in the field and you need to guaranty colour grading of your work. big enough screen so you can see clearly IPS to have good colours (without needing to go overkill). and the resolution is a question of price. how much do you want to put on this? depending on what software she want to focus her designs in you might want to look at graphics "tablet" basically pen screens. from wacomb or what not. but only if it's very organic stuff, drawing and hand modelling in 3D. i'm only suggesting this because of your considerably large budget.

so tldr: anything IPS diagonal size that is "big enough" and resolution that is "big enough" according to you.

because those tend to be more subjective, I personally favour more screens to higher resolution single ones because i have space for reference material on the side with my work front and centre full screen and i like it that way. some don't mind splitting a screen in 4, i prefer when it occupies more of my field of view.

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

2 hours ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

those things only end up becoming important when you're 100% a professional in the field and you need to guaranty colour grading of your work. big enough screen so you can see clearly IPS to have good colours (without needing to go overkill). and the resolution is a question of price. how much do you want to put on this? depending on what software she want to focus her designs in you might want to look at graphics "tablet" basically pen screens. from wacomb or what not. but only if it's very organic stuff, drawing and hand modelling in 3D. i'm only suggesting this because of your considerably large budget.

so tldr: anything IPS diagonal size that is "big enough" and resolution that is "big enough" according to you.

because those tend to be more subjective, I personally favour more screens to higher resolution single ones because i have space for reference material on the side with my work front and centre full screen and i like it that way. some don't mind splitting a screen in 4, i prefer when it occupies more of my field of view.

Appreciate the feedback.

We have looked at a few of those tablets but for what they do I would rather start with a solid PC / Monitor(s) setup to have a good home base to work off of and like I said before she does enjoy gaming as well so the computer wont be wasted haha.

Sorry if I sound uneducated on the matter but wouldn't editing or creating a photo on a 4k monitor over a 1440p or 1080p monitor end up looking better once finished compared to the lower resolution screens?  Especially if you work was to be blown up or printed on a larger scale?  Because if not a 1440p IPS screen is much more affordable than any 4K screen and I would rather put that money into the PC build.

Thanks for your time.

-TZ

16 hours ago, -Tz- said:

Appreciate the feedback.

We have looked at a few of those tablets but for what they do I would rather start with a solid PC / Monitor(s) setup to have a good home base to work off of and like I said before she does enjoy gaming as well so the computer wont be wasted haha.

Sorry if I sound uneducated on the matter but wouldn't editing or creating a photo on a 4k monitor over a 1440p or 1080p monitor end up looking better once finished compared to the lower resolution screens?  Especially if you work was to be blown up or printed on a larger scale?  Because if not a 1440p IPS screen is much more affordable than any 4K screen and I would rather put that money into the PC build.

Thanks for your time.

-TZ

the resolution of the screen won't affect the look of the final product. when you work on your piece you zoom in to put in the details, so the screen changes nothing to the final result. it's more of a comfort thing.

and for the wacomb stuff i totally agree i just brought it up as an option because a few types of work practically need it while all the others really don't.

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

On ‎17‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 2:15 PM, SquintyG33Rs said:

the resolution of the screen won't affect the look of the final product. when you work on your piece you zoom in to put in the details, so the screen changes nothing to the final result. it's more of a comfort thing.

and for the wacomb stuff i totally agree i just brought it up as an option because a few types of work practically need it while all the others really don't.

Thanks again for the response. its much appreciated.

I was thinking of getting just a pen/pad from Wacomb to use on her desktop or laptop if needed in the future.  Iv seen those for less that 200.00$.

31 minutes ago, -Tz- said:

Thanks again for the response. its much appreciated.

I was thinking of getting just a pen/pad from Wacomb to use on her desktop or laptop if needed in the future.  Iv seen those for less that 200.00$.

if you're going for that i'd recommend one from monoprice i think it was 10"x9" for 50USD

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

14 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

if you're going for that i'd recommend one from monoprice i think it was 10"x9" for 50USD

Awesome thanks ill take a look there.

Out of curiosity what monitor(s) do you use?

19 minutes ago, -Tz- said:

Awesome thanks ill take a look there.

Out of curiosity what monitor(s) do you use?

i'm not fortunate enough to have sick monitor at home xD it's just a regular old 1080p and it's even TN

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)