Exhaust fan better static or airflow?

sniip

Hey guys, I have one question. I have a really ban case that restricts airflow. Since it had 2 mounts for fans (one intake one exhaust) I wonder what fans should I buy. Since there is a huge rack for HDDs in front of the case I decided to go with static pressure fan (120mm) but I'm not sure if I should put my exhaust fan a static fan as well or should I put airflow fan?

Also is it worth for me to buy this small upgrade for a shitty case (it has few low rpm static pressure fans) or is it better to just buy a better case like Fractal design Focus  G and upgrade fans on it latter? I only have enough money for one or another.

2 minutes ago, sniip said:

Hey guys, I have one question. I have a really ban case that restricts airflow. Since it had 2 mounts for fans (one intake one exhaust) I wonder what fans should I buy. Since there is a huge rack for HDDs in front of the case I decided to go with static pressure fan (120mm) but I'm not sure if I should put my exhaust fan a static fan as well or should I put airflow fan?

Also is it worth for me to buy this small upgrade for a shitty case (it has few low rpm static pressure fans) or is it better to just buy a better case like Fractal design Focus  G and upgrade fans on it latter? I only have enough money for one or another.

There isn't much difference, honestly. But generally speaking, if there is an object that blocks or partially blocks "the way" for air in or out (even dust trays) you want to push air stronger instead of having more air flowing.

I don't understand, the fractal design case costs $60, and each fan would cost about $10

14 minutes ago, sniip said:

Also is it worth for me to buy this small upgrade for a shitty case (it has few low rpm static pressure fans) or is it better to just buy a better case like Fractal design Focus G and upgrade fans on it latter? I only have enough money for one or another.

The difference in cost is big. If you want to save money go with the fans, if you want a good looking case, get a case with more fans. I would suggest the cooler master masterbox lite 5 rgb, if you aren't using huge coolers, which comes with 3 rgb fans in the front and 1 exhaust and costs $70.

Personally, I'd go with all static pressure except for the rear, unless you plan on getting some sort of mesh to cover up the rear for dust then all static pressure. Like he said, not much of a difference. But it will help in future builds  if you ever start using them with radiators. 

Top is covered by top/mesh, front is covered by front/mesh, bottom is covered by mesh, back is the only one that isn't covered and is that only one that best fits an AF fan IMO.

25 minutes ago, ErrantNyles said:

There isn't much difference, honestly. But generally speaking, if there is an object that blocks or partially blocks "the way" for air in or out (even dust trays) you want to push air stronger instead of having more air flowing.

2 hours ago, phongle123 said:

Personally, I'd go with all static pressure except for the rear, unless you plan on getting some sort of mesh to cover up the rear for dust then all static pressure. Like he said, not much of a difference. But it will help in future builds  if you ever start using them with radiators. 

Top is covered by top/mesh, front is covered by front/mesh, bottom is covered by mesh, back is the only one that isn't covered and is that only one that best fits an AF fan IMO.

Thank you for suggestion, I was thinking of buying bequiet fans to make pc as quiet as possible. I'll consider buying one static pressure fan on the front and airflow one on the back. Later I'll buy a better case like Define C TG but for now I don't have enough for everything. Prices in my country are too high, just for one fan i'll have to pay 30euros...

2 hours ago, Chaos Gamer said:

I don't understand, the fractal design case costs $60, and each fan would cost about $10

The difference in cost is big. If you want to save money go with the fans, if you want a good looking case, get a case with more fans. I would suggest the cooler master masterbox lite 5 rgb, if you aren't using huge coolers, which comes with 3 rgb fans in the front and 1 exhaust and costs $70.

I'll buy a case later because in my country prices are way higher than anywhere else. For one bequiet fan i'll have to pay 30Euros... And cases like define C costs way above 100euros.

What are your specs?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

On 10/13/2017 at 10:04 PM, WoodenMarker said:

What are your specs?

My pc specs are:

i7-3770k

BeQuiet pure rock cooler

gigabyte z77-d3h

16GB ram

BeQuiet pure power 9 600w PSU

MSI gaming X rx480 8G

2x1TB HDD

1x128GB SSD

And a crappy case with 2 no name fans

On 10/14/2017 at 1:45 PM, sniip said:

My pc specs are:

i7-3770k

BeQuiet pure rock cooler

gigabyte z77-d3h

16GB ram

BeQuiet pure power 9 600w PSU

MSI gaming X rx480 8G

2x1TB HDD

1x128GB SSD

And a crappy case with 2 no name fans

What case do you have? If you don't know the model name, please post some photos of it. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

On 10/16/2017 at 11:34 AM, WoodenMarker said:

What case do you have? If you don't know the model name, please post some photos of it. 

Sorry, I was busy for couple of days. I'm attaching 2 photos of my case. Note that this case is very heavy and the front where I put HDDs is very thick and as I put my hand near the GPU to see if any air is being sucked in I don't feel a thing...

IMG_20171018_181207.jpg

IMG_20171018_181243.jpg

7 hours ago, sniip said:

Sorry, I was busy for couple of days. I'm attaching 2 photos of my case. Note that this case is very heavy and the front where I put HDDs is very thick and as I put my hand near the GPU to see if any air is being sucked in I don't feel a thing...

Your hand is not a reliable tool for measuring airflow. Look at your temps instead. 

11 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Your hand is not a reliable tool for measuring airflow. Look at your temps instead. 

Well that is the whole point why I made this post. My GPU alone gets 20 degrees higher temps on load (80C) with all panels closed than one panel off (60C). I'm 99% sure the problem lies in the case and fans...

Honestly buy really good fans(really good in your opinion like be quiet / noctua) you can use them again across all builds and cases as well are worth, as the other guys said get ones that don't just provide flow bu5 force flow. Also if you aren't going to use all the bays

Honestly my case will be 100% zip ties instead of screws and rivits in a few years at this rate, HDD zip tied to the top where the 5 and a quarter bays are, this also frees up room for a large rad if you want to do like i did (admittedly i forgot to check compatibility but w/e) 

20171007_214103.jpg

20171008_180004.jpg

Edit, also add mesh/holes where you can too add room for air to flow in/out

3 hours ago, mrmonmon2 said:

Honestly buy really good fans(really good in your opinion like be quiet / noctua) you can use them again across all builds and cases as well are worth, as the other guys said get ones that don't just provide flow bu5 force flow. Also if you aren't going to use all the bays

Honestly my case will be 100% zip ties instead of screws and rivits in a few years at this rate, HDD zip tied to the top where the 5 and a quarter bays are, this also frees up room for a large rad if you want to do like i did (admittedly i forgot to check compatibility but w/e) 

20171007_214103.jpg

20171008_180004.jpg

Edit, also add mesh/holes where you can too add room for air to flow in/out

Just got a deal for Fractal Design Define C TG for 50euros. I decided to buy it instead, now just don't know how good of a fans are actually in that case. Heard it's not too good...

Just now, sniip said:

Just got a deal for Fractal Design Define C TG for 50euros. I decided to buy it instead, now just don't know how good of a fans are actually in that case. Heard it's not too good...

Upgrades are upgrades lol, as long as the case has better airflow salvaging the fans from the other will be beneficial, as well if you have doubts you can always return the case you got 

21 minutes ago, mrmonmon2 said:

Upgrades are upgrades lol, as long as the case has better airflow salvaging the fans from the other will be beneficial, as well if you have doubts you can always return the case you got 

Well my ultimate goal is to make system that barely makes any sound. New case will help reaching my goal but I'll need to buy case fans soon after if the ones included will be roaring. Probably will buy something from be quiet but sadly their silent wings cost heck loads... I'm going to check on if silent wings are that good or pure wings and shadow wings are good enough as well.

49 minutes ago, sniip said:

Well my ultimate goal is to make system that barely makes any sound. New case will help reaching my goal but I'll need to buy case fans soon after if the ones included will be roaring. Probably will buy something from be quiet but sadly their silent wings cost heck loads... I'm going to check on if silent wings are that good or pure wings and shadow wings are good enough as well.

Or use the fans from the case you are replacing, if you double your number of fans, all of your fans need to produce half as much airflow compared to say regular yielding in a far quieter system 

2 hours ago, sniip said:

The stock GP-12 X2's are good. Where'd you hear otherwise?

18 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

The stock GP-12 X2's are good. Where'd you hear otherwise?

I just read that some people see that these fans are a bit too loud. But i'll see when i'll get my case (probably next week). Also is it worth buying additional 2 same fans or the ones included should be enough?

2 hours ago, sniip said:

I just read that some people see that these fans are a bit too loud. But i'll see when i'll get my case (probably next week). Also is it worth buying additional 2 same fans or the ones included should be enough?

You can see how your temps and acoustics are before deciding on whether or not to change anything.