Overclocking GPU

xXCapAwesomeXx

I am new-ish to overclocking and I am attempting to use MSI afterburner. From the couple videos I have watched, I understand to run a base test with something like valley benchmark and then slowly increase until a crash then slowly decrease. I have also changed all my setting including unlock voltage control but I am still unable to change the voltage. I don't know where I have gone wrong in this process, if you see something I have done wrong please help. Thanks for the help in advance!!

What GPU do you have? I recommend not changing any voltage settings until you find your max clock at stock voltages. Some GPU's voltages are locked and need a hacked BIOS to change anyway

3 minutes ago, xXCapAwesomeXx said:

MSI 1080 TI

Im fairly sure the voltage is unlocked on your card, Afterburner sometimes needs a hack in a .txt file to unlock voltage control. Is your version of afterburner up to date? Im going to try to find the favorite i have from when i tried to activate voltage control. (only to find out my card has it locked down lol)

What model is your card besides for MSI? like windforce, etc

2 minutes ago, xXCapAwesomeXx said:

@matt0725 I will double check if my afterburner is up to date. I am pretty sure it is.

Here is the link to an article that seems to unlock its votlage control. Apparently the newest versions should basically already have this done, but this what I've found. I have a 980 and I have not used this method to modify any settings, just so you know: http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/geforce-gtx-1080-ti-review,32.html

Again, I'd recommend that you don'y try to overvolt first, as it seems most Nvidia cards run into power delivery limit before anything else. Unless you have a very high end card. 

2 minutes ago, xXCapAwesomeXx said:

@matt0725 Ok I am not going to over volt first, even if I apply an overclock it wont let me boost voltage, I will mess around with it and see what happens. 

Good luck with it! Not sure how familiar you are with it, make sure to set power limit % to max, it'll help you to overclock

EDIT: I've never used the gaming app, but if it has OC features for your GPU in it, it could be possible. If there is any way you see in the program to make sure its off, you could do that,force close it from task manager, or even temporarily uninstall it