Xeon E5-2697 Motherboard Compatibility

Hi guys!

I recently was given an Intel Xeon e5-2697 from a friend who runs a bunch of servers and was just getting rid of some. I plan to build a new workstation around the processor. However, I am pretty new to the PC building world as I just built my first PC last year. I was looking at LGA 2011 boards and most all of them were advertised to support LGA 2011 based i7's. Right now I'm looking to get an ASUS Sabertooth x79 board, but I dont wanna drop $250 if the board and CPU are not compatible with the Xeon. Any help would be extremely appreciated!

1 minute ago, brinsonm said:

Hi guys!

I recently was given an Intel Xeon e5-2697 from a friend who runs a bunch of servers and was just getting rid of some. I plan to build a new workstation around the processor. However, I am pretty new to the PC building world as I just built my first PC last year. I was looking at LGA 2011 boards and most all of them were advertised to support LGA 2011 based i7's. Right now I'm looking to get an ASUS Sabertooth x79 board, but I dont wanna drop $250 if the board and CPU are not compatible with the Xeon. Any help would be extremely appreciated!

It will work with that motherboard with a proper BIOS update.

Just now, TheCherryKing said:

It will work with that motherboard with a proper BIOS update.

Thank You!!!!!

Just now, brinsonm said:

Thank You!!!!!

Glad to help. Keep in mind that ECC memory will not work with that motherboard. No need to worry since ECC memory is not required for a single Intel Xeon processor. 

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

1. Old gen stuff should be bought used, not new. That's a very high price for a used board

2. If you look at CPU compatibility list, your Xeon is there https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH_X79/HelpDesk_CPU/

That's how much it costs used on ebay. Cheapest I could find 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/391886517150

5 hours ago, TheCherryKing said:

That is quite pricey for its age. Any LGA 2011 motherboard should work with the Intel Xeon E5 26xx v2 processors. 

Have you checked ebay yourself? Anything LGA 2011 is expensive because of used Xeons. Whole x58 thing again, except that you can't overclock these as well as the x58 Xeons. 

Xeon e5649@4.4 GHz on Asus Rampage II Extreme or Gigabyte x58a-OC (whatever I feel like to set up at a time) , 6x4 GB Kingston HyperX 1600, Gainward GTX 670 Phantom, Samsung 840 Evo 240 GB, BeQuiet L8 530W

8 hours ago, Ground said:

Have you checked ebay yourself? Anything LGA 2011 is expensive because of used Xeons. Whole x58 thing again, except that you can't overclock these as well as the x58 Xeons. 

Yes, I have. When I bought an LGA 2011 motherboard a few years ago it was cheaper new than it is used now.