Need advice for a good UK based SIM Provider

AlTech

So, I moved to the UK and am in the introduction week of University.

I need a new SIM card cos I'm in the UK and I want to be on a Data plan.

I really couldn't care less about SMS so long as I am able to use a tiny bit. Similar for calling. I need it to be there but I don't need ridiculous amounts of calls.

I looked at Vodafone's plans whilst I was in their shop yesterday and they were apparently expensive according to someone I know IRL.

What Data/SIM provider should I use? I'm mainly interested in LTE with around 4-5GB. I'd like if the carrier had cheaper and more expensive plans in case I need to move above or below that threshold.

So yeah, what do any of you in the UK use and what should I purchase?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I use Tesco mobile(which is just o2) and i haven't had any issues, but in some parts of the country I get a bad signal. DON'T use vodafone, they are really bad at cancelations because of that they mess up your credit score and its  massive battle to get that mark removed. I would have a look at three or o2. 

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Personally I am on Vodafone. From my experience I haven't had any issues with Vodafone, coverage wise (I live in Bristol) or customer service wise. However I have heard bad things about them, I have also heard good and bad things about most other networks. Also I find you usually get unlimited calls and texts when you get to higher data plans.  

Usually GiffGaff and Tesco Mobile are looked at as good budget options, usually offering reasonable prices and they both use O2's network, getting the advantage of good network infrastructure without the abominable customer services.

I think that pretty much leaves the EE and Three networks, which I don't know anything worth mentioning about them.

The networks also have coverage checkers on their websites, so you should be able to see what is best for your area.

As the others have said, I would avoid using Vodafone. EE have the best coverage in my experience which is good if you're going somewhere away from a city. (If this is the case then go with Virgin Mobile who use EE's network)

Otherwise, I would suggest GiffGaff who also use O2's network. They have flexible plans which appear to be good value for money.

I can't comment on Tesco Mobile but I've heard good things about them.

I edit my posts a lot.

Just now, MrDrWho13 said:

As the others have said, I would avoid using Vodafone. EE have the best coverage in my experience which is good if you're going somewhere away from a city. (If this is the case then go with Virgin Mobile who use EE's network)

Otherwise, I would suggest GiffGaff who also use O2's network. They have flexible plans which appear to be good value for money.

I can't comment on Tesco Mobile but I've heard good things about them.

Virgin Mobile isn't advertised as having coverage where I am however EE, O2, Tesco Mobile, Vodafone and Three supposedly do.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

3 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Virgin Mobile isn't advertised as having coverage where I am however EE, O2, Tesco Mobile, Vodafone and Three supposedly do.

That's strange since it's literally using the same masts as EE. http://www.virginmedia.com/corporate/media-centre/press-releases/virgin-media-and-bt-agree-new-mobile-deal.html

I edit my posts a lot.

Just now, MrDrWho13 said:

So, which is the better option to go with?

Three seems to have a good prices, Vodafone is somewhat expensive and wasn't willing to offer me a monthly payment system (they only offered Pay as You Go for me).

7 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

So, which is the better option to go with?

Three seems to have a good prices, Vodafone is somewhat expensive and wasn't willing to offer me a monthly payment system (they only offered Pay as You Go for me).

I would just go with the cheapest option. I have no experience with Three but I haven't heard anything terrible about them.

I edit my posts a lot.

I'm on Three, and have two of their plans. My phone is on 321 PAYG plan, which is fixed rate of 1p per MB data used. This will get expensive if you want more than about 1GB (£10) a month, where contracts will be better. They also have a no-tethering policy on the base conditions for this.

They also do "mobile broadband" packages. I have a one of those too, but it isn't a current price option. These do allow many devices. According to their web page, these have the same out of bundle pricing as the 321 PAYG plan... I think I might have to change my plan now I look at this! Do double check the small print of what you can actually do before taking anything.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

27 minutes ago, porina said:

I'm on Three, and have two of their plans. My phone is on 321 PAYG plan, which is fixed rate of 1p per MB data used. This will get expensive if you want more than about 1GB (£10) a month, where contracts will be better. They also have a no-tethering policy on the base conditions for this.

They also do "mobile broadband" packages. I have a one of those too, but it isn't a current price option. These do allow many devices. According to their web page, these have the same out of bundle pricing as the 321 PAYG plan... I think I might have to change my plan now I look at this! Do double check the small print of what you can actually do before taking anything.

I found a Three plan which seems like a good deal: 13 pounds per month for 5GB for 12 months.

Only problem is I need to go to a physical store to setup the plan due to not having living in the UK for very long.

2 hours ago, fixitnow said:

I use Tesco mobile(which is just o2) and i haven't had any issues, but in some parts of the country I get a bad signal. DON'T use vodafone, they are really bad at cancelations because of that they mess up your credit score and its  massive battle to get that mark removed. I would have a look at three or o2. 

giffgaff > tesco super cheap monthly rolling contract its like £5 for the basic one, also on o2

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

1 hour ago, vorticalbox said:

giffgaff > tesco super cheap monthly rolling contract its like £5 for the basic one, also on o2

Sorry are you recommending GiffGaff, Tesco, or both? It's hard to decipher your message.

I edit my posts a lot.

1 hour ago, MrDrWho13 said:

Sorry are you recommending GiffGaff, Tesco, or both? It's hard to decipher your message.

giffgaff lol

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

5 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

So, I moved to the UK and am in the introduction week of University.

I need a new SIM card cos I'm in the UK and I want to be on a Data plan.

I really couldn't care less about SMS so long as I am able to use a tiny bit. Similar for calling. I need it to be there but I don't need ridiculous amounts of calls.

I looked at Vodafone's plans whilst I was in their shop yesterday and they were apparently expensive according to someone I know IRL.

What Data/SIM provider should I use? I'm mainly interested in LTE with around 4-5GB. I'd like if the carrier had cheaper and more expensive plans in case I need to move above or below that threshold.

So yeah, what do any of you in the UK use and what should I purchase?

Hey,

I would say from personal experience, go for giffgaff On pay as you go.

Excellent prices for what you get and you can change the 'goodybag' every month depending on how much resources your using.

They use 02's network so pretty good coverage and 4g LTE also you can use theyre sim accross the EU.

If you have any questions about it feel free to PM me :)