Only the first 2tb is usable.. in a 3tb hdd ?

syaoran7li

Hey everyone...

I just bought a new hdd... Western digital caviar green 3tb.. and installed the os during installation I partitioned the drive and created 3 500gb partitions and there was two unallocated partition one 530gb and and other is 726 gb.. and I couldn't create a new partition on either of em.. so I thought maybe after booting into windows I can use disk management to create the remaining partitions... And so I booted into windows and went to check it and when I right clicked on the 726gb hdd there was no option to create a simple partition.. and when I right clicked on the 500gb it showed create simple volume and when I tried to create it.. it showed the error tat only the first 2tb of the partition is usable in mbr partition..

What can I do ? Can't I use the 3 TB?

I updated the BIOS nothing changed..

How do I convert to gpt?

What's the difference between gpt and mbr?

Is there any problem or disadvantage If I use gpt?

Hope Guys can help me..

Thanks.. ^_^

Current Spec: Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Extreme; Processor: Intel Core i7 3930k; PSU: Corsair AX1200; Cooler: Corsair H100; Ram: 2x 8Gb  Gskill Ripjawsx; Cabinet: Cooler Master Cosmos II; HDD: 1x 1Tb Samsung, 1x 3Tb WD Caviar Green, 1x 1Tb WD Caviar Blue, 2Tb WD Caviar Green; SSD: 1x 250Gb Samsung 840 Series; Graphics Card: Asus Nvidia Geforce GTX 780, Asus Nvidia Geforce GTX 550 Ti; Monitor: Asus PA248Q, 16 Inch Random Samsung Monitor(For Multipurpose) Mouse: Razer Naga; Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Dragon Age II Edition

My system spec:

Chassis : cooler master cosmos II

Motherboard: Asus rampage IV extreme

Processor: Intel core i7 3930k

Power supply: corsair ax1200

CPU cooler: corsair h100

Ram: 2x 2gb transcend @ 1333mhz

Hdd: samsung 1tb, and western digital caviar green 3tb

Drive: Sony DVD rw

Keyboard: dazed blackwidow ultimate dragon age 2 edition

Mouse: razer naga

Sorry couldn't edit my previous post... ^_^

Current Spec: Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Extreme; Processor: Intel Core i7 3930k; PSU: Corsair AX1200; Cooler: Corsair H100; Ram: 2x 8Gb  Gskill Ripjawsx; Cabinet: Cooler Master Cosmos II; HDD: 1x 1Tb Samsung, 1x 3Tb WD Caviar Green, 1x 1Tb WD Caviar Blue, 2Tb WD Caviar Green; SSD: 1x 250Gb Samsung 840 Series; Graphics Card: Asus Nvidia Geforce GTX 780, Asus Nvidia Geforce GTX 550 Ti; Monitor: Asus PA248Q, 16 Inch Random Samsung Monitor(For Multipurpose) Mouse: Razer Naga; Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Dragon Age II Edition

You need to convert your hard drive from basic to GPT (GUID) disk, here's a guide

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/26203-convert-gpt-disk-mbr-disk.html

*You will lose all the data during the conversion process, you can't to this on the boot drive only on a storage hard drive, so you need an HD or SSD for the boot drive an a other HD for storage !!

In theory it will enable you to make partitions larger than 2 tb

You need to convert your hard drive from basic to GPT (GUID) disk, here's a guide

*You will lose all the data during the conversion process, you can't to this on the boot drive only on a storage hard drive, so you need an HD or SSD for the boot drive an a other HD for storage !!

can i install OS in a GPT drive?? and can i create more partitions like c drive d drive etc after converting to GPT??

you can't install an OS on a GPT drive because this setting applies for the entire drive. you need a separate hard drive for the OS and use the GPT converted 3 tb drive for storage.

you can't install an OS on a GPT drive
Yes you can, windows just has a stupid limitation that you can't use a GPT boot drive on a computer with a BIOS based mobo, it does however work with EFI.

EDIT: surely Windows has a way to convert to GPT without data loss, since this is possible on linux

Yes you can, windows just has a stupid limitation that you can't use a GPT boot drive on a computer with a BIOS based mobo, it does however work with EFI.

EDIT: surely Windows has a way to convert to GPT without data loss, since this is possible on linux

Ohhh data loss doesn't matter.. cuz tat drive doesn't have any data.... Just want to know whether I can install os and partition the remaining space and use it for storage.. ..?

Yes you can' date=' windows just has a stupid limitation that you can't use a GPT boot drive on a computer with a BIOS based mobo, it does however work with EFI. EDIT: surely Windows has a way to convert to GPT without data loss, since this is possible on linux[/quote']

True but you need to be 100% EFI with no legacy BIOS option witch can be a pain in the neck in certain configuration, specially video cards, ASUS recently release an EFI bios for my GTX680 but until then windows 7 would not install on a GPT disk. it's nice that Linux doesn't destroy your data when you convert a disk to GPT, but for windows the included disk management software (disk management and diskpart) does erase all the data. Maybe there's a third party software that can do this

If you have a EFI mobo then yes using GPT, otherwise I don't think it's possible with the default windows bootloader

Guys I converted my 3 TB drive to gpt and then tried to install os on it and it wouldnt allow me to install... So does tat mean tat my mobo does not have efi BIOS?

asus have a utility for their motherboards that enables drives over 2tb to become fully usable in windows here is the link to the utility i can get a link but its called disk unlocker look up for it in the utilities section of this for your os [url=http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/RAMPAGE_IV_EXTREME/#support_Download_30]http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/RAMPAGE_IV_EXTREME/#support_Download_30[/url=http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/RAMPAGE_IV_EXTREME/#support_Download_30]

CPU: i7 3770k 4.5ghz M/Board: Sabertooth Z77 GPU: Asus Gtx 560 Direct CUii OC RAM: 2x4gb Corsair Veangance PSU: Corsair CX600 Cooler: Custome Water Loop With Gentle typhoon 1850rpm fan, Single 120mm Rad, XSPC Raystorm CPU Block

You need to disable CSM in the bios, but if you don't have an EFI enabled video card it will not work. by memory CSM is in the BOOT portion of the BIOS at the left of TOOLS on my sabertooth x79

• 3 weeks later...
asus have a utility for their motherboards that enables drives over 2tb to become fully usable in windows here is the link to the utility i can get a link but its called disk unlocker look up for it in the utilities section of this for your os [url=http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/RAMPAGE_IV_EXTREME/#support_Download_30]http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/RAMPAGE_IV_EXTREME/#support_Download_30[/url=http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/RAMPAGE_IV_EXTREME/#support_Download_30]

Ohh ok.. will try that utility out... when using that utility does it erase all data on the HDD??

You need to disable CSM in the bios' date=' but if you don't have an EFI enabled video card it will not work. by memory CSM is in the BOOT portion of the BIOS at the left of TOOLS on my sabertooth x79 [/quote']

Couldnt Find any CSM in bios...

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]

Q.[/TD]

[TD]

Can Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows Server 2008 read, write, and boot from GPT disks?[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]

A.[/TD]

[TD]

Yes, all versions can use GPT partitioned disks for data. Booting is only supported for 64-bit editions on UEFI-based systems.[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/wind.../gg463525.aspx

Assuming THIS is your motherboard, then yes it is supported, it has a UEFI BIOS.

HOWEVER, you need to open up a CMD prompt from the Installer for windows and Partition it as GPT first, otherwise it will just do the legacy install (MBR). Look HERE for more info.

If it doesn't work, ASUS lied to you/not enabled any EFI sections of your BIOS.

[TABLE] [TR] [TD] Q.[/TD] [TD] Can Windows 7' date=' Windows Vista, and Windows Server 2008 read, write, and boot from GPT disks?[/TD'] [/TR] [TR] [TD] [/TD] [TD] [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD] A.[/TD] [TD] Yes, all versions can use GPT partitioned disks for data. Booting is only supported for 64-bit editions on UEFI-based systems.[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/wind.../gg463525.aspx Assuming THIS is your motherboard, then yes it is supported, it has a UEFI BIOS. HOWEVER, you need to open up a CMD prompt from the Installer for windows and Partition it as GPT first, otherwise it will just do the legacy install (MBR). Look HERE for more info. If it doesn't work, ASUS lied to you/not enabled any EFI sections of your BIOS.

yes that is my motherboard..

well i first converted the drive to gpt from disk management.. and then tried to install os to it but it wouldnt allow me to...

like oOInSaNeGaM3ROo said i have disk unlocker utility from my motherboard... i think tat utility might unlock something so tat i can install os to GPT drives...

but the problem is if i do convert it will it erase data on it.. cuz i have loads of data stored in it...

I really don't know much about storage and the inner workings of why it works, but I just wanted to say nice system. Throw in some vengeance ram though for good measure!

Current Main: Corsair 550D, Corsair h100, Gigabye 990fx UD3, Geforce GTX 670 4gb FTW Edition, 16gb Corsair vengeance 1600mhz, Diablotek 775 Watt Active PSU, 2x Seagate Barracuda 3tb 7200rpm, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb SSD, ASUS 16x optical drive, AverMedia AverTV capture card, 2x Noctua NF-F12, 3 Corsair AF quiet series.

I really don't know much about storage and the inner workings of why it works' date=' but I just wanted to say nice system. Throw in some vengeance ram though for good measure![/quote']

Hehe.. Thanks... ^_^

Ya Well im planning on buying Corsair Dominator Platinum 16gb(2x8gb) 1600Mhz....

Thanks.. ^_^

He could also use extended partitions with logical drives or covert the disk to dynamic and use simple volumes. Both of the options do not affect the OS.

I had this problem with a Seagate Barracuda 3tb drive. I got it to detect the whole drive by downloading drivers for the storage chipset. (Intel Rapid Storage Technology)

I had this problem with a Seagate Barracuda 3tb drive. I got it to detect the whole drive by downloading drivers for the storage chipset. (Intel Rapid Storage Technology)

it detects the whole 3tb no problem.. but when i want to install os to it i can only use the 2tb of it... and if i want 3tb i need to convert it to GPT...

Did you have any luck with this? I'll start with the process, and then at the end mention a few things that could cause trouble.

To install Windows 7+ on GUID GPT (you will lose all data on the partitions affected):

1. When installing, you will be prompted to choose where to install. Clear all partitions on the drive and then press Shift+F10 to open the cmd prompt.

2. From the cmd prompt, type diskpart then list to show all of the mounted volumes. Take note of the number of the volume you want to change, we'll call it #.

3. Type select # to select that volume. Then type new gpt.

4. Do NOT use diskpart to create a partition (ie. don't use the create name="name" type=efisys command) at this point, let Windows create it itself. Go back to the installer and have Windows use the unallocated partition.

At this point it should install normally. If the option to install is still greyed out, and if it gives the error that you can't install on this volume then:

1. Your motherboard may not be EFI... however your particular board is UEFI so this doesn't apply to you.

2. You may have legacy features enabled in your EFI configuration, search around for your specifics. If any "hybrid BIOS" features are on, it won't work. For many people its as simply as changing their boot order to the UEFI version of their DVD drive (does it appear twice in the boot selection, one with UEFI?) and for others there's more to play with. All of the hardware has to be UEFI compliant. If its modern, there's no problem here.

3. Your SATA controller has to be in AHCI mode, as far as I know. That means no RAID array on the same controller. Intel boards tend to have a separate Marvell controller that can be used to accomplish this if necessary. This is something I'm fairly certain of, but I don't have the confidence to present it as a fact.

I hope you've already solved this, but if not I hope something here helps.

Did you have any luck with this? I'll start with the process' date=' and then at the end mention a few things that could cause trouble. To install Windows 7+ on GUID GPT (you will lose all data on the partitions affected): 1. When installing, you will be prompted to choose where to install. Clear all partitions on the drive and then press Shift+F10 to open the cmd prompt. 2. From the cmd prompt, type [b']diskpart then list to show all of the mounted volumes. Take note of the number of the volume you want to change, we'll call it #. 3. Type select # to select that volume. Then type new gpt. 4. Do NOT use diskpart to create a partition (ie. don't use the create name="name" type=efisys command) at this point, let Windows create it itself. Go back to the installer and have Windows use the unallocated partition. At this point it should install normally. If the option to install is still greyed out, and if it gives the error that you can't install on this volume then: 1. Your motherboard may not be EFI... however your particular board is UEFI so this doesn't apply to you. 2. You may have legacy features enabled in your EFI configuration, search around for your specifics. If any "hybrid BIOS" features are on, it won't work. For many people its as simply as changing their boot order to the UEFI version of their DVD drive (does it appear twice in the boot selection, one with UEFI?) and for others there's more to play with. All of the hardware has to be UEFI compliant. If its modern, there's no problem here. 3. Your SATA controller has to be in AHCI mode, as far as I know. That means no RAID array on the same controller. Intel boards tend to have a separate Marvell controller that can be used to accomplish this if necessary. This is something I'm fairly certain of, but I don't have the confidence to present it as a fact. I hope you've already solved this, but if not I hope something here helps.

Thanks for the detailed steps...

as for the first 4 steps.. i cant try it out... cuz the 3tb drive has a lot of data on it and i dont have the means to backup all of it... so probably will skip that... and also i bought my self a new SSD "Samsung 840 Series 250GB"... and will install os to it...

and now for the other 3 steps....

2. no it doesnt appear like that... i just one dvd drive.. not sure whether the remaining hardware are UEFI compliant...

3. ya i set it to AHCI mode...

ya thanks for the info.. and you can say i resolved this cuz of the SSD i bought...

Thanks... ^_^