[Help] Can't install VBox Guest Additions(Kali)

Go to solution Solved by Sauron,
1 minute ago, CreepyPro said:

Just to make sure, i first install the Linux-headers then reboot, and after that, I use your command and install the guest additions, right?

I would uninstall the additions before installing the headers, but other than that yes.

What exactly doesn't work? Do you get an error message? Does the installation command produce any warnings?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Sauron said:

What exactly doesn't work? Do you get an error message? Does the installation command produce any warnings?

When I tried doing the first method I didn't receive any errors but it still didn't work so I went ahead and try the second one which told me in the console that I already had the Guest Additions installed but they still don't work. I tried restarting the VBox and when I opened Kali i received a few warnings/errors that I can't read because the screen turns black after 1-2 seconds

When I tried doing the first method I didn't receive any errors but it still didn't work so I went ahead and try the second one which told me in the console that I already had the Guest Additions installed but they still don't work. I tried restarting the VBox and when I opened Kali i received a few warnings/errors that I can't read because the screen turns black after 1-2 seconds

Did you enable mouse/screen integration etc in virtualbox' vm settings?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

Did you enable mouse/screen integration etc in virtualbox' vm settings?

I don't think so. Can you tell me how to do so?

2 minutes ago, CreepyPro said:

I don't think so. Can you tell me how to do so?

Never mind, virtualbox doesn't have a dedicated setting - I was thinking of vmware.

What version of Kali did you install? Try uninstalling the guest additions package and installing it again with the second method.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

Never mind, virtualbox doesn't have a dedicated setting - I was thinking of vmware.

What version of Kali did you install? Try uninstalling the guest additions package and installing it again with the second method.

Tried what you said and it didnt work. Im running version 2017.1

32 minutes ago, CreepyPro said:

Tried what you said and it didnt work. Im running version 2017.1

Try installing the linux-headers package if you haven't already, then reinstall the guest addons

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

5 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Try installing the linux-headers package if you haven't already, then reinstall the guest addons

I will try that. To reinstall the guest addons, I just do like if I was going to install it for the first time right?Or I need to do something before I install them?

Just now, CreepyPro said:

I will try that. To reinstall the guest addons, I just do like if I was going to install it for the first time right?Or I need to do something before I install them?

apt-get remove virtualbox-guest-x11

should remove the package allowing you to install it from scratch.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

6 minutes ago, Sauron said:

apt-get remove virtualbox-guest-x11

should remove the package allowing you to install it from scratch.

Just to make sure, i first install the Linux-headers then reboot, and after that, I use your command and install the guest additions, right?

I would uninstall the additions before installing the headers, but other than that yes.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

15 minutes ago, Sauron said:

THANKS!! Either installing the headers or unistalling the guest additions somehow fix it and now they work. Thanks for your help and time.

• 2 weeks later...

Just download the dedicated Virtualbox image from the kali website...

PC Editing / Gaming Rig Specs : i7-3930k @ 4ghz w/ Hyper 212 Evo | 840 Evo 250gb and Seagate 1TB | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance RAM | Zotac GTX 780 | Corsair Vengeance C70 Green | OS: Ubuntu 16.04 LTS / Win10 #KilledMyWife #MakeBombs