Best PSU for overclocking and Gaming, gameplay recording,overclocking and rendering

Xtreme Gamer

Hey guys, like it says in the title up there. I need a PSU UNDER $100 if possible for mainly those needs. also music and web surfing, but mainly those needs. The parts I ordered are the Core I7 3770K CPU, Z77X-UD5H mobo, HyperX 4 sticks of 4gb ram DDr3, ZOTAC NVidia GeForce 2gb GT 640, WD Caviar 1TB SATA HDD, Windows 8 (I don't know if OS will be standard or pro yet), And still trying to find a good sound card from either Creative or ASUS, Still trying to find a good SSD or MSATA SSD that holds most memory for lowest cost, And thinking about going with the Cougar Challenger case tower, I am however open to any other component suggestion upgrades (even a different case for gamers and/or OC'ers) you guys might think I could use that is as affordable as possible. BUT I will not upgrade any parts that I already have (MOBO, RAM, HDD Graphics card, and CPU). Thank you all for any replies. But please do keep in mind, it needs to be below $100, I am willing to go a little above $100 but not much. Again Thanks!!!!

I7-6700k, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, 2 x 8GB Corsair Dominator Plantinum ram, ASUS GTX 960 STRIX, sound blaster zx, 1TB boot drive ssd, 128GB/256GB storage ssd, 1TB storage HDD, 4TB of storage (backup),Windows 10 Pro,1000w psu

Well you will find it hard to get a PSU for overclocking for less than $100 but since your running a single GPU a 750 will be plenty, maybe even a 650.

have you tried the Evga Supernova gold rated series?? fully modular, gold rated, good price, i think just over 100 for the 650.

look it up on NCIX or Tiger Direct, or Newegg where ever you get your parts from.

There is so many PSU out there if you want gold rated and fully modular its worth looking into the Evga PSU

got to love Asus components

You ordered a GT640 for gaming?

There is no particular PSU that is made for all of that. Id say get a good reliable PSU from a brand that is using a good OEM like Seasonic. Just get a PSU that is enough watts for what you need and is using a good OEM brand. You should be able to get something good for under $100 because your specs aren't outrageous. Any new PSU from Corsair, Antec, Coolermaster, Silverstone, OCZ, or Seasonic themselves should do you fine just look around a bit.

Anything seasonic at around 500W. Also, I hate to break it for you but you're going to be extremely disappointed with that graphics card.

Workstation: 3930k @ 4.3GHz under an H100 - 4x8GB ram - infiniband HCA  - xonar essence stx - gtx 680 - sabretooth x79 - corsair C70 Server: i7 3770k (don't ask) - lsi-9260-4i used as an HBA - 6x3TB WD red (raidz2) - crucia m4's (60gb (ZIL, L2ARC), 120gb (OS)) - 4X8GB ram - infiniband HCA - define mini  Goodies: Røde podcaster w/ boom & shock mount - 3x1080p ips panels (NEC monitors for life) - k90 - g9x - sp2500's - HD598's - kvm switch

ZFS tutorial

The only games I will be playing is WOW, MineCraft, and KSP. So I forgot to mention.... The PSU, I would appreciate it if it was modular and 80+ so we don't waste power... keep the suggestions coming guys! thanks!!!!

I7-6700k, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, 2 x 8GB Corsair Dominator Plantinum ram, ASUS GTX 960 STRIX, sound blaster zx, 1TB boot drive ssd, 128GB/256GB storage ssd, 1TB storage HDD, 4TB of storage (backup),Windows 10 Pro,1000w psu

You can't play Minecraft with a measly 2GB video card...

Just get any 350-450W PSU since you'll be OCing your 3770K to death to run Minecraft. Correct me if I'm wrong but the 640 doesn't even take a 6pin power?

Seasonic.

Welcome to the forum BTW :P

can the graphics card handle wow?

The 640 can maybe handle WoW, but at low graphics settings. You can handle MC fine, but with a low render distance, and a 16x or 32x texture pack. The 640 is an extremely weak card, in comparison.

Ok hen I am officially returning the card. any gcard ideas?

You can't play Minecraft with a measly 2GB video card...

Just get any 350-450W PSU since you'll be OCing your 3770K to death to run Minecraft. Correct me if I'm wrong but the 640 doesn't even take a 6pin power?

Seasonic.

Welcome to the forum BTW :P

Isn't the "will it run Minecraft" and Minecraft takes a lot of 'power' to run memes becoming rather tired now?

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Ok hen I am officially returning the card. any gcard ideas?
HD7770 is a good card if you want to go past around $20 on your $100 budget.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Glad to hear you have your changed your mined on getting a new GPU. $100 for a GPU for gaming is not alot. Try at stretch your budget, Especially as you have a great 3770k. If your could get yourself a GTX660 then you would be well on your way for a sweet little gaming rig.

Asus Maximus VI Hero , i5 4670k , 8gb Corsair vengeance ddr3, Asus HD 7970 matrix platinum, Corsair AX860, Ocz agility 3 120gb ssd, 1tb wd green hdd, custom water loop. All in an Antec p280

I suggest getting http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151093 79$ i have this myself and its never hot and i can barely hear it.

For gpu i would suggest http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127687

AMD Radeon 7870 Gigabyte OC / Intel i5 3570k / ASrock Z77 Pro4 /Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / WD Blue 500GB 7200rpm / Kingston HyperX T1 2x4GB 1600mhz / SeaSonic 520w M12 / Thermaltake v4 Black

What I am worried about is that the PSU I choose won't have enough voltage for my components, gaming and OC'ing... I will tell you my initial components that I have so far so you guys can help me calculate the PSU WATTS I should get, I would appreciate 80+ and modular if possible. mobo: zZ77X-UD5H, CPU: core I7 3770K, HyperX DDR3 RAM, 1TB HDD. Again thank you for any help. However, any sites that you guys post that helps calculate PSU wattage reccommendations I won't be able to use because, the are some things on there I just don't understand yet... Thanks!!!!

Here is a link that I found. Maybe you guys can help me with some terms to better calculate PSU watts, like Capacitor Aging %, Pump relay, etc. So check it out and try to help me out from there. thanks! P.S.: I do not do custom loops for water cooling yet since I do not have the money so I can only do efficient water cooling kits like corsair. Also I don't know which video card brand to go with, AMD or NVidia assuming it makes a difference. Again, Specs are: CPU- Core I7 3770K, MOBO- Z77X-UD5H, RAM- HyperX DDR3 1600 4 sticks of 4GB RAM, HDD- 1TB WD Green Caviar HDD, Windows 8 (Standard or Pro, I do not know which to get yet), I also don't know which case to get yet. So yeah, Just recommend a good video card for WOW, MC, OC'ing, and make sure it is as affordable as possible since I apparently do not know what to look for in a graphics card to know that it is a good one anymore. Just remember guys if you do choose to help me: AS AFFORDABLE AS POSSIBLE. Thanks and sorry for any rudeness...

Here's what I would do. Return that Motherboard and grab a cheaper motherboard around $100 or slightly over that like the Asus P8Z77-V LK or P8Z77-V LX or a gigabyte equivalent mobo and also return 8GB of the ram. You don't need more than 8GB of ram for gaming. With the money you save there you can buy a GTX 660 or Radeon 7850 or 7870 depending on how much they cost in your area.

thanks for that advice. But sadly, I simply cannot do that....

I think u kinda went overkill in some areas like the CPU and motherboard. If u don't want to have to ship everything back that's fine, but maybe like some others are saying, that may not be a bad idea. The i5 3570k is a lot better value and u can get a msi military 3 ( I think its a z77a-gd65) and it will OC for u (not to the Max tho). Return 8gb of ram as well and with the money u save buy a 7870 or 7950 from xfx and u can over clock them to be as powerful as a 7970 (on 1 monitor since u lose 1gb of ram).

I think about 500 watt will be fine. But if you going to add a graphics card, I would step it up to a 650w PSU.

My advice:

Corsair TX650M, just over 100.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139031

For the GPU, you could do a few things. Either get an 7770, 7790 or 7850. Depends on how much money you want to spend, and what resolution you want to play at.

BUT, if you want to use adobe aftereffects or something like that, you really want an Nvidia card. Something like a 650 ti boost or 660.

7770, 7790 and 7850 are the best bang for the buck, but 650 ti boost and 660 are best for video edditing

Note that I'm not responsible for eye damage due to poor grammar and spelling. 

All I can say is that I need the most affordable video card NOT for shooter games, but for games like WOW, diablo, starcraft, KSP, and MAYBE MC. For the PSU it must be good for gaming and overclocking. I am only asking like this because idk enough IF anything about graphics cards and PSU'S. And the 80+ and modular spec's on them. IDK if they make any difference in performance or not. I just need something that can do the performance on what I need it to do and still be affordable. Sorry for any rudeness, or anything like that. Thank you all for your great suggestions.