Crashplan for Home

jt999

I'm also looking for something that can do computer-to-computer backup to friend's computers, and I haven't been able to find any suitable alternatives.

Looks like everyone was emailed, but the replacement options they suggest aren't as useful for me, such a shame!

Yup, got the email here too.  Looking for a local-to-local solution for those of us in Bushville Canadistan with sub-megabit upload speeds and draconian data caps.  Fine with rolling some janky Linux scripts for my home stuff, but at work...Windowz...

"Waddle over to the elevator and we'll continue the testing." - GLaDOS, Portal 2

Primary System: Lenovo ThinkPad Edge e540, upgraded with 16GB Kingston RAM & Intel 520 240GB SSD

Looks like there are 2 threads for this now, can they perhaps be merged? 

I have also been stung by this, I was using CrashPlan on my UnRaid server and allowing friends to backup to me (local to local) 

Guess now we need to look at alternatives but that feature always seemed unique to CrashPlan as I recall

I can't think of anything in terms of free programs

But I feel like macrium and gsuite business could accomplish many of the things wanted here. 

2 hours ago, snickerpop said:

I can't think of anything in terms of free programs

But I feel like macrium and gsuite business could accomplish many of the things wanted here. 

For me it's more people like my girlfriend and some relatives, if I don't keep an eye on it and know they are backed up, I'll find out when they have a drive failure! CrashPlan was perfect for this kind of thing, where they don't want to pay for backups as they don't understand them, and I have plenty of storage.

Maybe something like logmein would work

https://www.vpn.net/

I've never used it before, but it seems like you would be able to make a decentrilized LAN with multiple computers. Even if they are on a different network. 

Maybe then you could sync these backup to different computers. Sounds like it would be free up to 5 computers. 

There may even be a better solution for more devices. 

29 minutes ago, jt999 said:

For me it's more people like my girlfriend and some relatives, if I don't keep an eye on it and know they are backed up, I'll find out when they have a drive failure! CrashPlan was perfect for this kind of thing, where they don't want to pay for backups as they don't understand them, and I have plenty of storage.

Maybe something like logmein would work

https://www.vpn.net/

I've never used it before, but it seems like you would be able to make a decentrilized LAN with multiple computers. Even if they are on a different network. 

Maybe then you could sync these backup to different computers. Sounds like it would be free up to 5 computers. 

There may even be a better solution for more devices. 

The problem I have with syncing is it's not really a great backup - in the event they end up with some kind of crypto-malware it might have already synced some/all the bad files. Crashplan had versioning that helped with that issue :(

Essentially it looks like I need to buy 'proper' business software for it, but for home use it's just not viable :(

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently trying out UrBackup, seems to function well enough for my needs to back up relatives PCs to my own (like the computer to computer backups of CP) although it's a little worse on the eye! Might look into Duplicati for the 'cloud' backup side of things, thanks!

https://www.urbackup.org/

• 2 weeks later...

Also would like to recommend duplicati. It's really good from what I've seen so far. 

Check out this page with some detailed information about it's features:

This page is official:

https://www.duplicati.com/articles/FactSheet/

There's also an unofficial article here: (also good stuff)

https://forum.duplicati.com/t/duplicati-vs-crashplan-home/515