Ryzen compilation segfaults

ringo

I saw this on reddit.

Will a regular user ever encounter that error or it is only on linux?

Ooh, there's new info on that link I hadn't seen before. I haven't worried about it as the conditions to trigger the problem seem to niche it wasn't a concern for me.

I found a photo of my 1700 so I can check the code as mentioned in that thread. Given I bought it at launch, it is no surprise mine is an early sample and in what is claimed to be affected dates. I can't say I have had any problem, and while testing to confirm the problem and getting an RMA is possible, it doesn't seem worth the effort to me.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

If by regular user you mean a Windows user, perhaps not. The only way a Windows User would be able to see this is if they were to sandbox linux and attempt to compile a linux workload. I don't speak from experience, but if the same software is made for different operating systems, but is compiled differently, it sounds like Linux was the odd one out when AMD was creating these CPU's.

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

I have dual boot: windows and Linux. I usually use my PC for gaming, movies, music and audio and video editing. That error in Linux is only in compilation, that means programing?

10 minutes ago, ringo said:

I have dual boot: windows and Linux. I usually use my PC for gaming, movies, music and audio and video editing. That error in Linux is only in compilation, that means programing?

After reading through most of the topic, it's just programming / compilations where this happens. Most of those programs cache things to the ramdisk and an error occurs somewhere within there. You should be perfectly fine if you're not programming.

11 hours ago, Hiitchy said:

After reading through most of the topic, it's just programming / compilations where this happens. Most of those programs cache things to the ramdisk and an error occurs somewhere within there. You should be perfectly fine if you're not programming.

Programming doesn7t include web design? o.O

15 minutes ago, ringo said:

Programming doesn7t include web design? o.O

Depends on how large the compilations are. This issue has everything to do with heavy workloads.

11 hours ago, Hiitchy said:

Depends on how large the compilations are. This issue has everything to do with heavy workloads.

And how do I recognise if it happpens?o.O

23 minutes ago, ringo said:

And how do I recognise if it happpens?o.O

Read the topic. I don't have enough information. It's all there.

I now saw this on reddit:

"Former AMD employee and CPU engineer here.

I would be concerned under Windows. The CPU doesn't know it's running Linux, doesn't know it's running gcc. Any software with the wrong stream of instructions (or data? or pattern of jumps? or pattern of faults? etc) could potentially trigger this issue.

Without some clarification from AMD on the issue, I would assume it's rare but also possible to provoke on any OS given the right load. It might be impossible to fix in software or firmware.

This is a serious bug. To compare against some classics: the Pentium F00F bug wouldn't manifest itself with any normal software. The famous Pentium floating point bug really was innocuous and Intel really got unlucky in the PR department on that one.

The saving graces for AMD are that this bug was caught early enough, does not affect server or high end parts (like the terrible amd Barcelona cache coherency bug that led to a big recall) and is rare enough that a widespread recall isn't necessary.

If I owned an affected ryzen, I would probably RMA it. I keep computers several years and don't want to wonder about the CPU every time something crashes for years."

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6wckrj/should_windows_users_be_worried_about_the/

So it is serious?

omg this fucking thing again.

ok so.

this affects only a few linux distros, under a specific usecase.

this will affect less than .5% of users, and also happens with intel cpus.

this is not a problem to concern yourself with

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

1 hour ago, Tsuki said:

omg this fucking thing again.

ok so.

this affects only a few linux distros, under a specific usecase.

this will affect less than .5% of users, and also happens with intel cpus.

this is not a problem to concern yourself with

Some users says that crashing in Ashes of singularity can be connected to this problem:

"Both my machines have the Linux SEGV issue (R7-1700X, R7-1700) additionally - both machines can't run the Ashes of the Singulariy Escalation built-in Benchmark in either DX12 or VULKAN mode without crashing to the desktop. Disabling SMT seems to make the benchmark work but I believe the two are related (Linux SegV / AOTS crashing) - note, nothing overclocked on the system, just BIOS defaults.

I should have the R7-1700X back from AMD this upcoming week, and hopefully the R7-1700 a few days later. If it fixes the CTD's with AOTS Benchmark (DX12 / Vulkan) with only thing that was changed in the systems were the CPU's - then my theory is that Windows Games are also affected.

I'm not the only one that ran into the problem - couple others have reported it as well. If you have a Ryzen CPU, try running the AOTS:Singularity Benchmark a couple of times in DX12 or Vulkan mode only - if it CTDs, try turning off SMT."

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6w4d3e/should_windows_users_care_about_the_ryzen/

Also some mention that Shadow of mordor because high CPU usage crashes because of that segfault problem....