Video Camera

I asked in a previous post about cheap DSLRs but I've come to the conclusion that they're gonna be too expensive so I'm looking for a video camera now. 

Don't really wanna spend more than £250 and am looking for 1080p minimum recording to SD with either DC in or really good battery life. Clean HDMI live output and a rotating screen. I assume that tripod support is a given. 

This will be mostly for indoor shooting for making YouTube. I want to upgrade from the camera in my phone and I can always get a cheaper DSLR later down the road.

|| CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (@3.9GHz) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B350 Plus || Cooler: Arctic Freezer 33 eSports Edition || GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC || Memory: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB C16 (@2933MHz) || SSD: SanDisk 128GB || HDD: WD Blue 2TB, Toshiba 2TB, Transcend 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM550x || Case: Fractal Design Focus G || Monitor: 2x AOC 23” I2369VM IPS Full HD, Samsung 32" LED TV Monitor || Mouse: Logitech G703 Wireless || Keyboard: Cooler Master MK750 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) || Speakers: Dell Stereo Speakers || Headphones: Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT / Samsung Galaxy Buds ||

Why don't you look at a GoPro? Doesn't have the rotating screen, but if you get a WiFi one (Hero 4+), you'll be able to stream to your phone/tablet.

Even a used one from eBay would be a good shout. 

If you're doing YouTube with it, it's portable and discreet. Takes photos too.

Current Build:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 // Mobo: Ryzen AM4 B350 GAMING PLUS ATX // RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000MHz // GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon RX 580 Gaming 8GB // SSD: Kingston A400 120GB // HDD: 3 x WD Blue 1TB // PSUCorsair 650M // Case: Corsair 450D // Monitor: LG Ultrawide 29" IPS

Plex Server:

CPU: AMD FX 8350 Black Edition // Mobo: Gigabyte - GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 Micro ATX // RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz // GPU: GeForce GTX 670 // HDD: Seagate BarraCuda 2TB // PSU: Kolink Core Series 500W 80 Plus Certified // Case: AVP Viper Mini Tower

Other:

PS4 Pro // PS3 // Nintendo Switch (Pokemon edition) // Nintendo 3DS // Xbox 360 // iPhone 8 Plus // Macbook Retina 2013

2 hours ago, Rhyss said:

Why don't you look at a GoPro? Doesn't have the rotating screen, but if you get a WiFi one (Hero 4+), you'll be able to stream to your phone/tablet.

Even a used one from eBay would be a good shout. 

If you're doing YouTube with it, it's portable and discreet. Takes photos too.

I have but I decided against it. My intention is to use it for shooting normally but also for facecam through HDMI. I have a capture card I intend to use for it. I've heard Sony's Handycams can be good and I can get them at about £150 to £200. Any experience with them?

|| CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (@3.9GHz) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B350 Plus || Cooler: Arctic Freezer 33 eSports Edition || GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC || Memory: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB C16 (@2933MHz) || SSD: SanDisk 128GB || HDD: WD Blue 2TB, Toshiba 2TB, Transcend 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM550x || Case: Fractal Design Focus G || Monitor: 2x AOC 23” I2369VM IPS Full HD, Samsung 32" LED TV Monitor || Mouse: Logitech G703 Wireless || Keyboard: Cooler Master MK750 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) || Speakers: Dell Stereo Speakers || Headphones: Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT / Samsung Galaxy Buds ||

39 minutes ago, Inversion said:

I have but I decided against it. My intention is to use it for shooting normally but also for facecam through HDMI. I have a capture card I intend to use for it. I've heard Sony's Handycams can be good and I can get them at about £150 to £200. Any experience with them?

Well, before I posted my reply I was looking into them. But from what I read, if you're going to get one you should get the slightly higher-end one 

Face detection and auto focus, HDMI out for your live feed.

Current Build:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 // Mobo: Ryzen AM4 B350 GAMING PLUS ATX // RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000MHz // GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon RX 580 Gaming 8GB // SSD: Kingston A400 120GB // HDD: 3 x WD Blue 1TB // PSUCorsair 650M // Case: Corsair 450D // Monitor: LG Ultrawide 29" IPS

Plex Server:

CPU: AMD FX 8350 Black Edition // Mobo: Gigabyte - GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 Micro ATX // RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz // GPU: GeForce GTX 670 // HDD: Seagate BarraCuda 2TB // PSU: Kolink Core Series 500W 80 Plus Certified // Case: AVP Viper Mini Tower

Other:

PS4 Pro // PS3 // Nintendo Switch (Pokemon edition) // Nintendo 3DS // Xbox 360 // iPhone 8 Plus // Macbook Retina 2013

55 minutes ago, Rhyss said:

Well, before I posted my reply I was looking into them. But from what I read, if you're going to get one you should get the slightly higher-end one 

Face detection and auto focus, HDMI out for your live feed.

That s one of the ones I was actually considering although I think I'll try and maybe get the cx625. It has a Mic in port which I think may be helpful for some shoots

On 8/18/2017 at 5:56 AM, Inversion said:

That s one of the ones I was actually considering although I think I'll try and maybe get the cx625. It has a Mic in port which I think may be helpful for some shoots

Okay so I have used the exact one and it is a pain to adapt a mic onto. To cut down on costs I had to purchase a Sony hot shoe to standard hot shoe adapter before adapting a bit more for the shotgun mic I intended to use before I could finally use the mic I wanted to use. The on-screen audio levels monitoring is a very useful feature and the live audio monitoring port is beyond useful. The Camcorder is best suited to mobile situations due to the stabilization but still, requires a steady hand to prevent jittery footage. The camera shoots acceptable quality in low light although it does take quite a while to recover focus in a dimly lit environment after it's lost it. The zoom pulled subjects in pretty close whilst maintaining admirable quality even when projected onto a large screen. Battery life is pretty much acceptable, but that's coming from a DSLR user so to the average user it is good and unless if you're deciding to take it on like 3-hour shoots without battery chargers and recording at the highest settings I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I suck a typing, preparw for typos.

Desktop

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x MOBO: MSI X570-A Pro RAM: 32 GB Corsair DDR4

GPUS: Gigabyte GTX 1660ti OC 6G  CASE: Corsair Carbide 100R STORAGE: Samsung Evo 960 500GB, Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 1TB   PSU: Corsair CX550M CPU COOLER: Corsair H100x

LAPTOP

Apple Macbook Pro 13 M1 Pro

keep in mind that for indoor recording you would probably need a proper lighting setup, especially given the small sensor size of most camcorders. 

You would probably need that with a dslr too ofourse, but you should probably alot somwthing like £50 for that too

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

3 hours ago, cc143 said:

keep in mind that for indoor recording you would probably need a proper lighting setup, especially given the small sensor size of most camcorders. 

You would probably need that with a dslr too ofourse, but you should probably alot somwthing like £50 for that too

Thanks but I'm picking up longer mic cables for my Blue Snowball and will do a lot of recording facing a big window in the room (attic bedroom) so I get a lot of natural light.

4 hours ago, another random person said:

Okay so I have used the exact one and it is a pain to adapt a mic onto. To cut down on costs I had to purchase a Sony hot shoe to standard hot shoe adapter before adapting a bit more for the shotgun mic I intended to use before I could finally use the mic I wanted to use. The on-screen audio levels monitoring is a very useful feature and the live audio monitoring port is beyond useful. The Camcorder is best suited to mobile situations due to the stabilization but still, requires a steady hand to prevent jittery footage. The camera shoots acceptable quality in low light although it does take quite a while to recover focus in a dimly lit environment after it's lost it. The zoom pulled subjects in pretty close whilst maintaining admirable quality even when projected onto a large screen. Battery life is pretty much acceptable, but that's coming from a DSLR user so to the average user it is good and unless if you're deciding to take it on like 3-hour shoots without battery chargers and recording at the highest settings I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I wasn't even sure you could attach shotgun mics to the CX625. Is there a panel on the top?

5 minutes ago, Inversion said:

I wasn't even sure you could attach shotgun mics to the CX625. Is there a panel on the top?

Yes there is, when it's not in use there is a door built in.

I suck a typing, preparw for typos.

Desktop

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x MOBO: MSI X570-A Pro RAM: 32 GB Corsair DDR4

GPUS: Gigabyte GTX 1660ti OC 6G  CASE: Corsair Carbide 100R STORAGE: Samsung Evo 960 500GB, Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 1TB   PSU: Corsair CX550M CPU COOLER: Corsair H100x

LAPTOP

Apple Macbook Pro 13 M1 Pro

16 minutes ago, another random person said:

Yes there is, when it's not in use there is a door built in.

Ah okay. I'll only be able to get it if it's on sale or used anyway