I am looking to buy a wheel for ETS2, ATS FS17, Dirt 3, Dirt Showdown as well as any other games that I pick up.

I have narrowed it down to the to the Logitech G27 and the G29. I can pickup:

• second hand g27 (with 2yr warranty) for £145 from Cex
  • second hand g29 with shifter (with 2yr warrenrty) from Cex for £185
  • new g29 with shifter for £220 from PC World

Leaning a little to the G27 as it has more buttons as well as being cheaper but a new G29 also is tempting.

Any advice/suggestions/thoughts would be appricated.

Side note - I only play on PC so console compability is irreverent.

Thanks

Chris

Bought a G29 (with shifter) earlier this year and I like it a lot. My primary driving game is Assetto Corsa (must have game for PC imo) and it works extremely well with that game.

If buttons are a priority to you then the G29 might be worth it as it has more wheel-mounted buttons which is very convenient, especially when you consider that the G27 only has 6 wheel-mounted buttons and may require you to reach over to the array of buttons on the shifter.

I believe the G29 is pretty similar to the G27 internally, but the G29 has upgraded steering sensors.

The G29 brake pedal has a rubber insert to simulate a hydraulic braking system, the G27 doesn't have this but it can be modified. The pedals are fine, they aren't really realistic as the throttle and clutch are very light, but they do the job.

Aesthetics are down to personal preference, I think the G27 has a much cleaner look.

Remember, the G27 was released a long time ago and buying a second hand one may  mean you're buying a 6-7 year old wheel that's been through a lot of abuse, however, you mentioned CEX's 24 month warranty so this may not be a huge concern of yours.

One thing I will say is that even though I like my G29 I do sometimes wish I bought a Thrustmaster wheel due to the belt driven system that both feels better and is way quieter (compared to the gear-driven system in the g27 and g29), so maybe consider saving for one of those.

i7 5820k, gigabyte x99 soc champion, 8gb ddr4 2400mhz TG ram, gigabyte gtx 980ti xtreme gaming, kingston 120gb ssd, evga supernova g2 650w

just a heads up btw, dont even argue with me when it comes to pcs... i worked at bestbuy for ~12years.. so yea.. i know my stuff

There's also the Logitech G920 if you want a wheel that looks slightly cleaner than the G29 - you miss out on a few of the buttons, and the shift light, but that's a bit of a gimmick anyway, and not that usable. I just got one the other day, and I'm quite enjoying it - I also play ETS2 and ATS, Forza 6 and Horizon, etc. I found the brake pedal way too hard though, to the point where you can't achieve 100% brake pressure even when applying your entire body weight. That can be remedied quite easily by removing or trimming the little rubber stopper in the pedal though:

c u r r e n t  /  ROG MAXIMUS Z690 FORMULA  /  I7-12700K  /  2080TI  /  32GB DDR5  /  LIAN LI PC-O11 DYNAMIC

Z170 STINGER  /  6700K  /  TITAN X  /  32GB DDR4  /  NZXT MANTA  /  j u i c e b o x  build log

nohasslemods 

@The Fedora explained the differences very well, so it is up to you to decide which one you like better. By that I mean how many buttons you want on the wheel itself, as other differences are minimal.

I personally have the G27 and I haven't found the situation where I needed more than 8 buttons that are on the wheel itself (6 red + 2 pedal shifters).

CPU: i7 3770K | MB: EVGA Z77 FTW | RAM: HyperX Savage 2400Mhz 16GB | GPU: R9 280X Toxic | Cooler: Scythe Fuma | PSU: CoolerMaster B600

SSD: Crucial MX300 525GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB - Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB

After much thinking and looking at the G29 and G27 I've ordered the G29. Mainly due to the fact I can go into the store to collect it.