Ryzen 1600x Unable to Overclock through Bios

Go to solution Solved by -rascal-,

DDR4 3200 MHz might not be stable with your CPU -- try overclocking one thing at a time.

Overclock your CPU with your RAM running a default speed (e.g. DDR4 2133).

Take you take a few screenshots of your BIOS settings, and post them up here?

(BTW you can take screenshots while in the BIOS, and save them to a USB stick)

System:
Ryzen 5 1600x  w/ Hypercooler evo 212
Gigabyte r9 270x (ancient, I know)
Gigabyte GA-AX370 Gaming (rev 1.0)
G. Skill TridentZ Series 16GB (2x8gb) 288-pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200
Evga 650 G3
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Fresh build/win10 install besides the GPU. Windows and all drivers up-to-date.

Issue: Any changes to my CPU Clock Ratio do not take effect once Windows boots up. This goes for both underclocking and overclocking. When I reboot into the bios, it shows the altered CPU Clock Ratio value, but once I boot into Windows, CPU-Z and HWmonitor show the stock values.

I can change everything else, such as voltage, ram frequency/timings, etc, and those settings do stick. It is only the CPU Clock Ratio that does not stick.

I have tried:
-Clearing CMOS by using the jumpers and by taking the battery out.

-Flashing to the previous bios version, as well as re-flashing the latest.

-Turning off all power saving modes and boost features, and every combination of them on/off

-Changing windows power plan to high performance and manually setting its minimum processor state to my overclocked values.

-Not using the XMP profile and manually inputting Ram timings/voltage

-Uninstalled every Gigabyte app (easytune, etc)

-I also ran prime95 momentarily after each of the above tests to make sure my cores weren't just idling at a lower clockspeed.

The only thing  that made any sort of positive impact whatsoever was enabling Core Performance Boost in the bios.  This made all the cores run at 3.7ghz.  Cpu Clock Ratio changes after that did nothing though.

After all of this, I decided to try Ryzen Master OC software for kicks, and it actually overclocks fine with that. I am completely stumped with what to do, as I don't want to rely on software to overclock.

Just wanted to see if anyone had any advice before I end up returning things and get different gear.

8 minutes ago, ⓓⓞⓣⓚ? said:

System:
Ryzen 5 1600x
Gigabyte r9 270x (ancient, I know)
Gigabyte GA-AX370 Gaming (rev 1.0)
G. Skill TridentZ Series 16GB (2x8gb) 288-pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200
Evga 650 G3
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Fresh build/win10 install besides the GPU. Windows and all drivers up-to-date.

Issue: Any changes to my CPU Clock Ratio do not take effect once Windows boots up. This goes for both underclocking and overclocking. When I reboot into the bios, it shows the altered CPU Clock Ratio value, but once I boot into Windows, CPU-Z and HWmonitor show the stock values.

I can change everything else, such as voltage, ram frequency/timings, etc, and those settings do stick. It is only the CPU Clock Ratio that does not stick.

I have tried:
-Clearing CMOS by using the jumpers and by taking the battery out.

-Flashing to the previous bios version, as well as re-flashing the latest.

-Turning off all power saving modes and boost features, and every combination of them on/off

-Changing windows power plan to high performance and manually setting its minimum processor state to my overclocked values.

-Not using the XMP profile and manually inputting Ram timings/voltage

-Uninstalled every Gigabyte app (easytune, etc)

-I also ran prime95 momentarily after each of the above tests to make sure my cores weren't just idling at a lower clockspeed.

The only thing  that made any sort of positive impact whatsoever was enabling Core Performance Boost in the bios.  This made all the cores run at 3.7ghz.  Cpu Clock Ratio changes after that did nothing though.

After all of this, I decided to try Ryzen Master OC software for kicks, and it actually overclocks fine with that. I am completely stumped with what to do, as I don't want to rely on software to overclock.

Just wanted to see if anyone had any advice before I end up returning things and get different gear.

Have you tried updating the BIOS?

subscribe to pewdiepie

8 minutes ago, Merp83 said:

Have you tried updating the BIOS?

Yeah, I updated to the latest, and when that didn't work, I flashed the previous version.  

Just now, ⓓⓞⓣⓚ? said:

Yeah, I updated to the latest, and when that didn't work, I flashed the previous version.  

I just wanna know how to make the bootable drive...

subscribe to pewdiepie

turn of your global states in the AM4\zen option an turn off cool n quiet and c6 as well if you can see how that goes

4 minutes ago, ArcThanatos said:

turn of your global states in the AM4\zen option an turn off cool n quiet and c6 as well if you can see how that goes

Thanks for the advice, unfortunately it didn't work.  Still stuck at 3.6ghz with  x 36.0 multiplier according to CPU-Z 

umm have you gone into MSCONFIG enable all cores. its probably something little thats over looked, i have a issue like this on my old fx4300 am3 its always set too 195x instead of sitting at its standard 200 BCLK. you set your LLC to between high n low, see if that helps, my mate has one of these mobo's if you haven't got it running ill ask for a ganda on his machine and see if i can figure something out, might be just a random option.. i can run thru all mine (thou being asrock it may differ a bit), some boards have issues, could also be on windows as well, just see if forcing all cores in msconfig works

DDR4 3200 MHz might not be stable with your CPU -- try overclocking one thing at a time.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

1 minute ago, -rascal- said:

completely agree, just start with CPU, leave all else stock and make incremental changes as you go. 

good catch rascal

1 hour ago, -rascal- said:

Thanks for all the advice everyone! Rascal your suggestion worked.  I dialed back my ram to 2133, and now my CPU clock ratio changes stick and show up in CPU-Z!  I assumed my ram at 3200 was stable since I have been able to boot to windows and stress test it as well.  

The question now is where can I go from here?  Can I incrementally increase my ram frequency until it's no longer stable/holds my cpu overclock settings?  Also is this problem a ryzen/bios problem that will eventually get worked out, or am I potentially stuck with 2133 frequency ram forever?

*EDIT* Another thing I was wondering about.  So in my original post I mention I am able to get 3.7ghz (no OC) with 3200mhz ram.  Would this have better performance on Ryzen than 3.9-4.0 ghz CPU w/ 2133mhz ram?  

17 hours ago, ⓓⓞⓣⓚ? said:

Thanks for all the advice everyone! Rascal your suggestion worked.  I dialed back my ram to 2133, and now my CPU clock ratio changes stick and show up in CPU-Z!  I assumed my ram at 3200 was stable since I have been able to boot to windows and stress test it as well.  

The question now is where can I go from here?  Can I incrementally increase my ram frequency until it's no longer stable/holds my cpu overclock settings?  Also is this problem a ryzen/bios problem that will eventually get worked out, or am I potentially stuck with 2133 frequency ram forever?

*EDIT* Another thing I was wondering about.  So in my original post I mention I am able to get 3.7ghz (no OC) with 3200mhz ram.  Would this have better performance on Ryzen than 3.9-4.0 ghz CPU w/ 2133mhz ram?  

Yes, once you've reached a CPU overclock that you are okay with, you can start working on your RAM.

JJ from ASUS had a video on his old channel -- as you overclock and put more stress on the CPU, things starts to change. The advertised speeds are typically tested with the CPU at stock, and each CPU behaves differently.

One person's 1600X can maybe get 4.1 GHz, but only 2666 MHz RAM will work. If they leave the 1600X at stock, 3400 MHz works.

Somebody else may be super lucky and be able to get 4.2 GHz, but at 4.2 GHz 3200 isn't stable...only up to 2400 MHz. If they drop the overclock down to 4.1 or 4.0 GHz, then 3200 MHz works.

RAM speed does have some noticeable performance benefits with Ryzen.

Your best bet would be to find a balance between the two.

See if you can get 3200 MHz working, if not, try 3000 MHz or 2933 MHz.

If 4.0 GHz can only do 2133, and 3.9 ~ 3.8 GHz runs with 2666 or 2933 MHz, I'd go with the second option.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

On 8/2/2017 at 11:15 AM, -rascal- said:

Yes, once you've reached a CPU overclock that you are okay with, you can start working on your RAM.

JJ from ASUS had a video on his old channel -- as you overclock and put more stress on the CPU, things starts to change. The advertised speeds are typically tested with the CPU at stock, and each CPU behaves differently.

One person's 1600X can maybe get 4.1 GHz, but only 2666 MHz RAM will work. If they leave the 1600X at stock, 3400 MHz works.

Somebody else may be super lucky and be able to get 4.2 GHz, but at 4.2 GHz 3200 isn't stable...only up to 2400 MHz. If they drop the overclock down to 4.1 or 4.0 GHz, then 3200 MHz works.

RAM speed does have some noticeable performance benefits with Ryzen.

Your best bet would be to find a balance between the two.

See if you can get 3200 MHz working, if not, try 3000 MHz or 2933 MHz.

If 4.0 GHz can only do 2133, and 3.9 ~ 3.8 GHz runs with 2666 or 2933 MHz, I'd go with the second option.

Thanks for all the advice and information.  Unfortunately I wasn't able to try any of those things.  I went to sleep with the ability to overclock, and when I powered up my PC the next day, it went back to not being able to overclock.  

So I decided to start fresh again and cleared my cmos, loaded bios defaults, booted to windows, restarted and booted back into bios, and made sure everything was stock and that I was running at 2133mhz ram.  I only touched my CPU clock ratio and set it to 3.8ghz.  Unlike last time where this worked, this time it showed 3.6ghz in CPU-Z.

Tried this a couple times and decided to stop trying.  Is it possible my motherboard is faulty?