New PC Build? Or Replace MB?

Ykno

So my motherboard died and no warranty on it, I was thinking maybe use this to buy new rig but I want to find decent Price to performance rig that is still improvement over my current.

My questions and thoughts are:

1. Intel i5 or AMD R5 ? my thinking is AMD is just as good in gaming on a CPU level as a i5 and there cheaper so. in that case would a R5 1500x be a improvment over my i5 4960K?
  2. If AMD what motherboard chip set would be for me, I'm thinking B350 as I do over clock but I wont run SLI/crossfire as no game I play supports it that I know off?
  3. If Intel only option is Z platform as I do over clock so Z170 or Z270 is the question then.
  4. RAM is no brainer 16gb dual channel for a cheap as I can and as fast as I can and so far that corsair vengeance 2400mhz but any on have any other thoughts?
  5. GPU is where Im stuck as there so expensive trying to find a decent priced one that still a improvement over my 970 is hard. Is the top AMD RX580 any good to be worth buying? other than that it would be a 1070 or wait to see if VEGA is any good and what price.
  6. Storage I'm thinking of buying just 1 1TB SSD or M.2 SSD instead of have a smaller SSD with bigger HDD Saves messing around and saves one drive failing and makes it easier to do backups. so my thought is as its cheap the 1TB WD blue m.2 drive.
  7. PSU, I tend to stick to Seasonic so either Seasonic or XFX PSU gold or higher fully modular. (already own one might keep that.) so this one is ticked off.
  8. Cooler I have a water cooler Antec H600 but need upgrade kit to work on new sockets but think I might go back to Air Cooling.

Yes so does anyone have any thoughts on this new build?

Case:- 4U Rack Mount Case | Cooler:- Antec Kuhler H600 | CPU:- Intel i5 4690K @ 4.50GHz GPU:- Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB AMP! Omega Core Edition @ 1449MHz | Motherboard:- MSI Z97S SLI Krait | PSU:- XFX XTR 650W Gold | RAM:- HyperX DDR3 1866MHz 4GB White (x2) Black (x2) | Storage:- Kingston V300 120GB | Storage 2:- Seagate FireCuda 1TB | Build Log |

Id get the R5 1600, if you can stretc to it, fast RAM, a B350 mobo (with VRM heatsinks), and keep your 970. It can run newer games just fine. Everything else looks good, and I think the WD Blue SSDs are decent. I think it's the green ones that suck. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1.AMD R5 has more price to performance

2. b350 because you can overclock but most of the time the better looking boards are x370 and the can do sli/crossfire as you already know

3. AMD is the better option in this case

4.for ram for ryzen you will want a 16gb kit of 3000 or 3200 MHz ram, Ryzen likes faster ram.

5.a 1070 would be better because 480s and 580s are on par with 1060s

6. Gaming doesn't benefit much from a m.2 drive so 2.5inch ssds will be fine

7. power supply is fine

8. if you already have an aio than get the brackets and use it you paid good money for it

I agree with @Zando Bob

There are no reasons to buy any i3 right now, and basically no reason to buy any new i5, the only CPUs Intel that make sense right now are G4560 and 7700K(for 144HZ+ gaming).

In your budget I would go for R5 1600, the 2 extra cores will come in handy.

Spoiler

Main PC: CPU Xeon E3-1231 V3 - MB Asrock B85M Pro3 - RAM 16GB Kingston - GPU GTX 1070 Gainward Phoenix - PSU Corsair AX760i - Monitor  LG 22EA63 - Keyboard Corsair Strafe - Mouse Logitech G402 - Storage 2x3TB WD Green - 240GB OCZ SSD

Ye R5 1600 is in my basket at moment but I was just wondering if the cheaper 1500x would be any better than my i5 just to pinch penny more but forgot it was 2 less cores. and ye I had the idea of keeping my 970 as well.

Or do I just go cheap option and but replacement z97 board for my current PC.

Case:- 4U Rack Mount Case | Cooler:- Antec Kuhler H600 | CPU:- Intel i5 4690K @ 4.50GHz GPU:- Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB AMP! Omega Core Edition @ 1449MHz | Motherboard:- MSI Z97S SLI Krait | PSU:- XFX XTR 650W Gold | RAM:- HyperX DDR3 1866MHz 4GB White (x2) Black (x2) | Storage:- Kingston V300 120GB | Storage 2:- Seagate FireCuda 1TB | Build Log |

Just now, Ykno said:

Ye R5 1600 is in my basket at moment but I was just wondering if the cheaper 1500x would be any better than my i5 just to pinch penny more but forgot it was 2 less cores. and ye I had the idea of keeping my 970 as well.

Or do I just go cheap option and but replacement z97 board for my current PC.

If you're happy with your current performance, then yeah, I'd get a new board. Though if you want a better overall rig, then get Ryzen. Even a 1500X should be better than an i5, due to having twice the threads. 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

5 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

If you're happy with your current performance, then yeah, I'd get a new board. Though if you want a better overall rig, then get Ryzen. Even a 1500X should be better than an i5, due to having twice the threads. 

I don't have any issue with my current PC plays all games I need just fought be good to upgrade but if I'm going to keep the GPU might well keep rest and just replace board

I don't know I'm terrible with decisions. Issue is I might have burnt out my CPU trying to test/repair my motherboard so that is a gamble. the CPU has warranty though just if it cover being overheated.

3 minutes ago, Ykno said:

I don't have any issue with my current PC plays all games I need just fought be good to upgrade but if I'm going to keep the GPU might well keep rest and just replace board

I don't know I'm terrible with decisions. Issue is I might have burnt out my CPU trying to test/repair my motherboard so that is a gamble. the CPU has warranty though just if it cover being overheated.

Your i5-4690K is a very capable cpu. You would have to replace the appropriate motherboard chipset is Z97. Although Z87 with its latest BIOS would also work. 

Since Z97 motherboards are still reasonably priced I would simply replace the motherboard if the cpu is ok. The problem, of course, is determining if the cpu is ok. Other than putting it into another motherboard, there really is no way to determine this.

It's actually fairly difficult to trash a cpu unless one is playing around with ridiculous voltages. The i5-4690K has thermal sensors and the cpu will shut down if it overheats.

Check https://supporttickets.intel.com/warrantyinfo?lang=en-US for cpu warranty information.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

15 minutes ago, Ykno said:

An upgrade to Ryzen would probs give you higher lows (a more stable fps), but is it worth it to do a whole platform upgrade? If you want to, and have the budget, then go ahead. Though like @brob said, your CPU is still a solid component, and it's really hard to brick a CPU. 

Main PC 

22 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

An upgrade to Ryzen would probs give you higher lows (a more stable fps), but is it worth it to do a whole platform upgrade? If you want to, and have the budget, then go ahead. Though like @brob said, your CPU is still a solid component, and it's really hard to brick a CPU. 

Ye but in a effort to try eliminate components that might cause my motherboard to not work and to get it to post I removed the cooler to see if it would post it got really hot and smelt funny so not feeling to optimistic but hey was only a quick boot to see if it would post. ye might replace the motherboard as if CPU is fucked I can always return the motherboard.

Just now, Ykno said:

Ye but in a effort to try eliminate components that might cause my motherboard to not work and to get it to post I removed the cooler to see if it would post it got really hot and smelt funny so not feeling to optimistic but hey was only a quick boot to see if it would post. ye might replace the motherboard as if CPU is fucked I can always return the motherboard.

Yup. Seems like the best choice to me!

Main PC 

Just now, Zando Bob said:

Yup. Seems like the best choice to me!

try and find a cheap z97 now as stock is getting short. if not I guess second hand cant hurt

12 minutes ago, Ykno said:

try and find a cheap z97 now as stock is getting short. if not I guess second hand cant hurt

Second hand can't hurt of course. eBay is your friend.

Don't you have a friend or someone who could test the CPU? Of course someone with a motherboard compatible intel 4th gen CPU. I would be more than happy to help you but I live in Wales.

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x, Cooling: Corsair H100i Platinum AIO MOBO: Asus Strix B450 F GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Founders Edition + Arctic Accelero Xtreme III RAM: 2x8GB ThermalTake ToughRAM White 3200MHz PSU: Corsair RM850x White Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 Evo NVMe CASE: Corsair 275r Airflow White OTHER: White and Orange Cable Extensions ---- MONITOR: Samsung LC32JG5 32" WQHD 1440p VA 144Hz

1 minute ago, r3loAded said:

Second hand can't hurt of course. eBay is your friend.

Don't you have a friend or someone who could test the CPU? Of course someone with a motherboard compatible intel 4th gen CPU. I would be more than happy to help you but I live in Wales.

i do have a mate who has one but hes not a good with pc as me so he not up for taking his apart to test mine

21 minutes ago, Ykno said:

Unless you cleaned the thermal compound residue off the cpu when the cooler was removed, the smell was likely  that cooking off. With no cooler installed cpu will go over 100C within seconds of receiving power. Fortunately Intel included a thermal shutoff to prevent cpu damage in this situation. The likelihood is that the thermal shutoff initiated shutdown before things became critical. If you were not running higher than normal voltage levels there is a fair chance the cpu is ok.

1 minute ago, brob said:

Unless you cleaned the thermal compound residue off the cpu when the cooler was removed, the smell was likely  that cooking off. With no cooler installed cpu will go over 100C within seconds of receiving power. Fortunately Intel included a thermal shutoff to prevent cpu damage in this situation. The likelihood is that the thermal shutoff initiated shutdown before things became critical. If you were not running higher than normal voltage levels there is a fair chance the cpu is ok.

my over clock was using 1.2v which I think is standard anyway I cant remember

everywhere is sold out cant find z97 motherboard from one single UK pc part seller

17 minutes ago, Ykno said:

everywhere is sold out cant find z97 motherboard from one single UK pc part seller

Amazon UK has a few Z97 motherboards that show 1 new in stock. There are also a number of used motherboards available.

11 minutes ago, brob said:

Amazon UK has a few Z97 motherboards that show 1 new in stock. There are also a number of used motherboards available.

I couldnt find any everyone i Clicked on said temp out of stock can you link?

11 hours ago, Ykno said:

So my motherboard died and no warranty on it, I was thinking maybe use this to buy new rig but I want to find decent Price to performance rig that is still improvement over my current.

My questions and thoughts are:

1. Intel i5 or AMD R5 ? my thinking is AMD is just as good in gaming on a CPU level as a i5 and there cheaper so. in that case would a R5 1500x be a improvment over my i5 4960K?
  2. If AMD what motherboard chip set would be for me, I'm thinking B350 as I do over clock but I wont run SLI/crossfire as no game I play supports it that I know off?
  3. If Intel only option is Z platform as I do over clock so Z170 or Z270 is the question then.
  4. RAM is no brainer 16gb dual channel for a cheap as I can and as fast as I can and so far that corsair vengeance 2400mhz but any on have any other thoughts?
  5. GPU is where Im stuck as there so expensive trying to find a decent priced one that still a improvement over my 970 is hard. Is the top AMD RX580 any good to be worth buying? other than that it would be a 1070 or wait to see if VEGA is any good and what price.
  6. Storage I'm thinking of buying just 1 1TB SSD or M.2 SSD instead of have a smaller SSD with bigger HDD Saves messing around and saves one drive failing and makes it easier to do backups. so my thought is as its cheap the 1TB WD blue m.2 drive.
  7. PSU, I tend to stick to Seasonic so either Seasonic or XFX PSU gold or higher fully modular. (already own one might keep that.) so this one is ticked off.
  8. Cooler I have a water cooler Antec H600 but need upgrade kit to work on new sockets but think I might go back to Air Cooling.

Yes so does anyone have any thoughts on this new build?

1. I would try to purchase a ryzen 5 1600 instead due to the 2 additional cores and 4 additional threads. Especially because the cost over the ryzen 5 1500x is pretty minimal. The ryzen 5 1600 is the way better option compared to the i5 and it pretty much makes it obsolete. If you did want to stay with your i5 4690k, i'm sure that you could find some good used Z97 motherboards.

2. B350 will be absolutely fine if you don't intend to overclock. The Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 is a good value B350 motherboard. It is certainly considered one of the high end B350 boards and I can easily recommend it as I have used it in a build before and I was very impressed for the price.

3. If you were to choose to upgrade to a sky lake or kaby lake i5, their would be no improvement really. Maybe a few frames at most. You would have to buy a Z270 board if you go with an i5 7600k and you could get away with a Z170 board if you were to purchase an i5 6600k.

4. Ryzen benefits from faster ram. 2400mhz should be fine but if you can try and get 3000mhz ram, that would be brilliant.

5. In regards to gpu, your GTX 970 is on par with performance of an RX580 and GTX 1060 6GB so it would be useless to waste money upgrading to either of them. If you were keen on upgrading GPU, I would suggest to go for a GTX 1070 or above or wait to see what VEGA and VOLTA are like.

6. 1TB SSD's don't tend to be good value. Also, the m.2 you have listed is a SATA M.2 ssd which means that it costs extra to be in that form factor even though it performs exactly like SATA. I would recommend getting a Crucial MX300 525GB or Samsung 850 Evo 500GB, both are fantastic options and use the money saved on purchasing a 3tb or 4tb hard drive to store games.

7. The power supply should be fine.

8. With cooling, it is up to you wether you would like air cooling or water cooling. A lot of the manufacturers such as Corsair, NZXT, Noctua, BeQuiet, Cryorig, etc allow you to order a bracket for new sockets like am4. Some of the companies give them to you for free providing you show proof of purchase for your motherboard, cpu, and cooler and others charge you a small fee to buy the bracket which is only like $5. If you were to go the water cooling route, I can happily recommend NZXT Kraken X62 and X52. I wouldn't purchase the 120mm variant. The Evga CLC 280 seems to be pretty impressive, the Fractal Design Celsius S36 also looks pretty cool. For air cooler, pretty much anything Noctua make, cryorig H7 is nice, Be Quiet Dark Rock 3 and Dark Rock 3 Pro are really nice. Just do yourself a favour and please don't buy the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, it is the most disgusting cooler that I think has ever existed and I struggle to comprehend why people purchase it over the H7 for a few dollars more. Both perform well but I just don't know how someone could put such an ugly looking cooler in their build when the H7 looks awesome for not much more. You also have the option of sticking with the stock cooler. It's a really nice cooler and it has rgb which is a +1 so if you don't have enough money to spend yet on a new cooler. Using the included one will suffice and will even allow for a good overclock.

Dont worry I repaired my broken motherboard so all good doing stress test tonight but should be fine.