Any way to connect to a IPv6 server with a IPv4 client?

I'm not sure if this post should go in the Server forum of the Networking forum so I'll post in both. I'm trying to host an FTB server for me and a few friends the issue is that my ISP (Rogers) gave me an IPv6 IP but my friends only have IPv4 IPs. So they can't connect to my server, what I want to know is there a way for them to connect to a server that uses an IPv6 IP with an IPv4 client that doesn't involve me getting some kind of special server gear or a special service plan.

Are you sure you don't have an IPv4 address as well?

Or are you saying the ISP gave you a static IPv6?

vSphere Cluster - 72 Cores - 512GB Memory - 6TB SSD RAW - 42TB HDD RAW - vSphere 7

resonance - Dell PowerEdge R730xd - 2x Intel E5-2667 v3 - 128GB DDR4 @ 2400MHz - NVIDIA RTX 5000 - 2x250GB Samsung 870 Pro - 2x1100W 80+ Plat - ESXi 7.0U3

kat - Dell PowerEdge R630 - 2x Intel E5-2690 v3 - 256GB DDR4 @ 2400MHz - NVIDIA TESLA P4 - 500GB PNY SSD - 4x1TB Crucial SSD - 2x750W 80+ Plat - ESXi 7.0U3

starlifter - Dell PowerEdge R720 - 2x Intel E5-2650 v2 - 96GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz - 2xNVIDIA GTX 970 + 1050Ti - 500GB SSD - 7x6TB HGST HDD - 2x1100W 80+ Plat - ESXi 7.0U3

ion - Dell PowerEdge R620 - 2x Intel E5-2650 v2 - 32GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz - NVIDIA QUADRO M2000 - 2x250GB Samsung 870 Pro -2x750W 80+ Plat - ESXi 7.0U3

Main Rig

Intel i7-5820K @ 4.6GHz

MSI X99S Krait SLI Edition

32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4 @ 2400MHz

Aorus GTX 1080Ti Waterforce Xtreme

Intel 280GB 900p

512GB Crucial NvMe

512GB Samsung 860 Evo

EVGA Supernova 850 G2

Thermaltake Core P5

you at least need a node that has both ipv6 and ipv4, otherwise its impossible to let them talk to each other. its like you are on another planet for their connection. if you had a third party that has both ipv4 and ipv6 and is wiling to port forward then you could set up a ipv6 through ipv4 bridge. the bridge doesn't need amazing processor power or anything like that, it basically is just a vpn endpoint but without any fancy encryption. but i don't have a huge amount of knoweledge on this so don't take my word for it.

edit: are you sure the networking infrastructure of your friends isn't just outdated? i have an ipv6 in my building but the networking isn't setup because the idiot IT guy finds it too much of a hassle to configure in the firewall. outdated equipment won't support it, but they will have an ipv6 on the internet/modem, just not locally.

You probably have what is called "Dual Stack Lite". Since IPv4 is getting rarer and more valuable ISPs start to basically "NAT" one IPv4 to many customers but you also get one v6 just for yourself. If you want to host a game everybody needs either v6 or some form of Dual Stack. The way around is only to have a third party that does the routing for you like a dedicated hoster or a VPN (both need a v4 and v6 connection).

The cheap way would be to check if one of your friends has both, v4 and v6 and let him host the game. As long as you only have v6 and they don't there is no way for you to be the host directly.

Just now, tlink said:

you should probably look into this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6to4

Agreed. You either need 6to4 or 4to6 tunneling and as far as I know, there aren't any consumer grade routers that support it.

Your friends either need a tunnel broker service to get IPv6 or you need to find a way to get an IPv4 address.

Regardless, there isn't a simple or easy answer for this unfortunately unless you can find someone else hosting a server that supports both IPv4 and IPv6

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

Agreed. You either need 6to4 or 4to6 tunneling and as far as I know, there aren't any consumer grade routers that support it.

Your friends either need a tunnel broker service to get IPv6 or you need to find a way to get an IPv4 address.

Regardless, there isn't a simple or easy answer for this unfortunately unless you can find someone else hosting a server that supports both IPv4 and IPv6

i found this free service, im always suspicious of free stuff like this but since it isn't any valuable data going through it it shouldn't be a problem to try. 6project.org

Just now, tlink said:

i found this free service, im always suspicious of free stuff like this but since it isn't any valuable data going through it it shouldn't be a problem to try. 6project.org

Interesting. I guess it could work but it's asking for the destination/use so I'm not sure if they're going to setup a tunnel to that address at which point it would become moot without a router to accept the tunnel and act as the termination point or they just want something like "I need this for gaming" in which case it would be fine.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

7 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Interesting. I guess it could work but it's asking for the destination/use so I'm not sure if they're going to setup a tunnel to that address at which point it would become moot without a router to accept the tunnel and act as the termination point or they just want something like "I need this for gaming" in which case it would be fine.

im not sure, i don't think a gaming server takes up that much bandwidth right? i never bothered to check because bandwidth is dirt cheap here.