Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
for7hyp3

Any way to connect to a IPv6 server with a IPv4 client?

Posted · Original PosterOP

I'm not sure if this post should go in the Server forum of the Networking forum so I'll post in both. I'm trying to host an FTB server for me and a few friends the issue is that my ISP (Rogers) gave me an IPv6 IP but my friends only have IPv4 IPs. So they can't connect to my server, what I want to know is there a way for them to connect to a server that uses an IPv6 IP with an IPv4 client that doesn't involve me getting some kind of special server gear or a special service plan.

Are you sure you don't have an IPv4 address as well?

Or are you saying the ISP gave you a static IPv6?

Main Rig - Intel i7-5820K @ 4.6GHz - MSI X99S Krait SLI Edition - 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4 @ 2400MHz - Aorus GTX 1080Ti Waterforce Xtreme - RAID 0 Samsung 850 Evo - Crucial 240GB SSD - 4x RAID 0 500GB WD Blue - 1TB WD Blue - EVGA Supernova 850 G2 - Windows 10 Pro

Wife Rig/Guest PC - AMD FX-4350 @ 4.215Ghz - Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 - 8GB G.Skill Ares Series DDR3 @ 1866MHz - SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970's @ 1523Mhz Core & 3814Mhz Mem- Intel 530 Series 180GB SSD - 2x 3TB Seagate Barracuda - 5TB WD Red - NZXT 650W PSU - Windows 10 Pro

Media PC - Intel Core 2 Duo Q6600 @ 2.4GHz - Dell Optiplex 745 Base - 6GB Hynix DDR2 @ 667MHz - Gigabyte GTX 1050Ti - 120GB Silicon Power SSD - 500 GB Blue - Windows 10 Pro

Domain Controller - Intel Core 2 Duo T9800 @ 2.93Ghz - Dell Precision M4400 Base - 4GB Crucial DDR2 @ 667MHz - Nvidia Quadro FX1700M @ Stock - 320GB Toshiba - 250GB Hitachi - Windows Server 2016 Datacenter

Domain Controller 2 - Intel Core i3-330M @ 2.1GHz - Sony VIAO VPCCW21FX Base - 4GB Crucial DDR3 @ 1600MHz - Nvidia Geforce 310M - 320GB Storage - Windows Server 2016 Standard

Laptop - Intel i7-2860QM @2.5Ghz - Dell Precision M6600 - 12GB Hynix DDR3 @ 1600Mhz - Nvidia Quadro 4000M @ Stock - Kingston V300 128GB SSD - Windows 10 Pro

Tablet - Intel i5-6300U @ 2.4Ghz - Microsoft Surface Pro 4  - 4GB #whatever DDR4 @ 1867Mhz @ 128GB Samsung SSD - Windows 10 Pro

Work PC - Intel i5-3450 @ 3.1GHz - Dell Optiplex 9010 - 16GB Hynix DDR3 @ 1600MHz - Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 - RAID 0 Samsung 850 Evo - Windows 10 Enterpirse

Work Mac - Intel i5-3470 @ 3.6GHz - Apple iMac 27" Late 2012 - 16GB Hynix DDR3 @ 1600MHz - Nvidia GTX 675 - Samsung 850 Evo - macOS High Sierra

you at least need a node that has both ipv6 and ipv4, otherwise its impossible to let them talk to each other. its like you are on another planet for their connection. if you had a third party that has both ipv4 and ipv6 and is wiling to port forward then you could set up a ipv6 through ipv4 bridge. the bridge doesn't need amazing processor power or anything like that, it basically is just a vpn endpoint but without any fancy encryption. but i don't have a huge amount of knoweledge on this so don't take my word for it.

edit: are you sure the networking infrastructure of your friends isn't just outdated? i have an ipv6 in my building but the networking isn't setup because the idiot IT guy finds it too much of a hassle to configure in the firewall. outdated equipment won't support it, but they will have an ipv6 on the internet/modem, just not locally.

You probably have what is called "Dual Stack Lite". Since IPv4 is getting rarer and more valuable ISPs start to basically "NAT" one IPv4 to many customers but you also get one v6 just for yourself. If you want to host a game everybody needs either v6 or some form of Dual Stack. The way around is only to have a third party that does the routing for you like a dedicated hoster or a VPN (both need a v4 and v6 connection).

The cheap way would be to check if one of your friends has both, v4 and v6 and let him host the game. As long as you only have v6 and they don't there is no way for you to be the host directly.

Just now, tlink said:

you should probably look into this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6to4

Agreed. You either need 6to4 or 4to6 tunneling and as far as I know, there aren't any consumer grade routers that support it.

Your friends either need a tunnel broker service to get IPv6 or you need to find a way to get an IPv4 address.

Regardless, there isn't a simple or easy answer for this unfortunately unless you can find someone else hosting a server that supports both IPv4 and IPv6

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

Agreed. You either need 6to4 or 4to6 tunneling and as far as I know, there aren't any consumer grade routers that support it.

Your friends either need a tunnel broker service to get IPv6 or you need to find a way to get an IPv4 address.

Regardless, there isn't a simple or easy answer for this unfortunately unless you can find someone else hosting a server that supports both IPv4 and IPv6

i found this free service, im always suspicious of free stuff like this but since it isn't any valuable data going through it it shouldn't be a problem to try. 6project.org

Just now, tlink said:

i found this free service, im always suspicious of free stuff like this but since it isn't any valuable data going through it it shouldn't be a problem to try. 6project.org

Interesting. I guess it could work but it's asking for the destination/use so I'm not sure if they're going to setup a tunnel to that address at which point it would become moot without a router to accept the tunnel and act as the termination point or they just want something like "I need this for gaming" in which case it would be fine.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

7 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Interesting. I guess it could work but it's asking for the destination/use so I'm not sure if they're going to setup a tunnel to that address at which point it would become moot without a router to accept the tunnel and act as the termination point or they just want something like "I need this for gaming" in which case it would be fine.

im not sure, i don't think a gaming server takes up that much bandwidth right? i never bothered to check because bandwidth is dirt cheap here.