Building in Australia is cheaper than the US

Big Head Tech

So after seeing the comment about how expensive parts in Australia for the 30th time I made a video on my channel about it.

A Ryzen 7 1700 build with a GTX 1070 1tb ssd, 32gb ram Corsair 460x case h100i v2 EVGA G2 750w PSU comes to 1804 USD. The same PC comes to 2646 AUD. Adjusting the 2646 down to USD it costs 2063. So a whopping 259 dollars more? 

Now their minimum wage is $17.70 AUD or $13.82 USD. Their average salary is 82k AUD or 64K USD vs us at 50.5K USD.

The conclusion is, it costs 14% more to build in Australia but they earn 26% more average and 90% more minimum wage higher than us. They also have better and cheaper healthcare and tuition but I'm leaving that alone.

You can flip burgers in Australia and build that PC in 5 weeks vs 9 weeks in the US. So hopefully this stops the notion that it's so expensive in Australia.

Did you PC part picker the parts? A reference for evidence would help better visualize it. 

Simply exchanging the rate of currency is not sufficient as the actual prices vary by region. 

Minimum wage in the US varies from (what I know for sure) 7 USD like Florida to 11 USD like massachussets, further depending on the county. New York's minimum wage is 9 USD but some regions of New York have 10 USD minimum wage. 

Im fairly certain the NATIONAL salary/yearly earning average in the US is about 43-52 thousand USD. Many people can live off 30~ thousand usd based off their region but in places like cities you may need 60-80 thousand to be livable. 

I do understand your conparison where how re how much money your time is worth, and how much time it'd take to purchase a specific build though. 

Please do a PC part picker for AU and also US and mention me so I can see your analysis! It's an interesting subject and I'm curious to see if it's actually cheaper relatively in Australia. 

Edit: also noting the minimum wage in Australia. I think you mentioned it but your post was a bit confusing to me because of the phrasing. 

are you also factoring in taxes?  both sales tax on the components themselves as well as income tax?

1 hour ago, Thunderpup said:

are you also factoring in taxes?  both sales tax on the components themselves as well as income tax?

I could have factored that in, but then we open up the can of worms about healthcare costs, tuition costs etc. In the US we have some of the highest medical costs in the world. We are taxed to death. I pay 25% federal 3% state, 6.25% social security, 2% local, 1.45% Medicare 1% Medicaid, 1% occupational, unemployment comp, etc. It adds up to 45% in taxes.

2 hours ago, fpo said:

Did you PC part picker the parts? A reference for evidence would help better visualize it. 

Simply exchanging the rate of currency is not sufficient as the actual prices vary by region. 

Minimum wage in the US varies from (what I know for sure) 7 USD like Florida to 11 USD like massachussets, further depending on the county. New York's minimum wage is 9 USD but some regions of New York have 10 USD minimum wage. 

Im fairly certain the NATIONAL salary/yearly earning average in the US is about 43-52 thousand USD. Many people can live off 30~ thousand usd based off their region but in places like cities you may need 60-80 thousand to be livable. 

I do understand your conparison where how re how much money your time is worth, and how much time it'd take to purchase a specific build though. 

Please do a PC part picker for AU and also US and mention me so I can see your analysis! It's an interesting subject and I'm curious to see if it's actually cheaper relatively in Australia. 

Edit: also noting the minimum wage in Australia. I think you mentioned it but your post was a bit confusing to me because of the phrasing. 

I can't link my video here on my channel but PCBudgetSolutions is my channel. It's my most recently uploaded video.

Minimum wage is $17.70 AUD which is 13.81 USD.