Alienware 18x Laptop 880m Thermal Pad replacement

I want to replace the thermal paste on a laptop I'm getting soon, that has 880m sli and an i7.

Is there any reason to replace the pads? 

Will it make a difference even?

My guess (and this is just a guess, I haven't taken a look at the laptop in question), is that the cooling capabilities of that laptop are going to be much more limited by heat dissipation rather than heat transfer. in other words, how well your cpu/gpu transfer heat to the rest of the cooling system is not going matter if your cooling system as a whole is already overwhelmed by the heat output of a high performance laptop. 

if it does make a difference, it would probably be small, and it might void your warranty. 

Gaming build:

CPU: i7-7700k (5.0ghz, 1.312v)

GPU(s): Asus Strix 1080ti OC (~2063mhz)

Memory: 32GB (4x8) DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3000mhz

Motherboard: Asus Prime z270-AR

PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W

Cooler: Custom water loop (420mm rad + 360mm rad)

Case: Be quiet! Dark base pro 900 (silver)
Primary storage: Samsung 960 evo m.2 SSD (500gb)

Secondary storage: Samsung 850 evo SSD (250gb)

Server build:

OS: Ubuntu server 16.04 LTS (though will probably upgrade to 17.04 for better ryzen support)

CPU: Ryzen R7 1700x

Memory: Ballistix Sport LT 16GB

Motherboard: Asrock B350 m4 pro

PSU: Corsair CX550M

Cooler: Cooler master hyper 212 evo

Storage: 2TB WD Red x1, 128gb OCZ SSD for OS

Case: HAF 932 adv

Its probably already out of warranty. 

Having been in the hardware repair biz for awhile, and having actually worked for Dell as a warranty tech, I can tell you that you should not need to replace the thermal "pads". If when you take the heatsink off the pads rip, I would suggest to avoid putting those back in and get replacements. As for the paste, dont use just anything, some pastes are too "soopey" for GPU use. Dell uses Shin-Estu Paste on both GPU's and CPU's. It has the advantage of lasting awhile before crusting over and needing a good clean. I do my laptops every year, both because its fun. But I'd recommend every 2. After 3 years is when you start seeing paste being all crusty and dry on laptops.

||Intel i7-7770k | MSi Z270 Carbon Gaming Pro | 16GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3000mhz | EVGA GTX 1080 FTW | Corsair 400C & RM750 PSU + H100i||

||Creative SB Recon 3D Fatal1ty | Samsung Evo 850 500GB | Seagate 2TB | Lots of red LED fans |Corsair K70 Black | Razer Deathadder Chroma|| 

||Dell 27" U2713HM | ASUS VP239H | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | Win 10 Pro | Portable gaming made possible with MSI GT70 2OC and a bag to dump in||

~~Assembled with love and care~~