Would a hot gpu affect my cpu temps?

Primbrook

I'm looking for a new cooler for my i7 5820k, but my main concern is that my graphics card is an r9 290, and it gets pretty hot while gaming. Would a hot graphics card affect the temps of my CPU while using an air cooler? or would it be better to go with a aio liquid cooler?

1 minute ago, SpiderWhale said:

I'm looking for a new cooler for my i7 5820k, but my main concern is that my graphics card is an r9 290, and it gets pretty hot while gaming. Would a hot graphics card affect the temps of my CPU while using an air cooler? or would it be better to go with a aio liquid cooler?

if you buy an air cooler, you want it as an exhaust, issue here is youre sucking the hot air from inside the case and it will increase your cpu temps, however gpus do get hot, so dont worry about it. its nothing serious. just get a decent air cooler.

46 minutes ago, SpiderWhale said:

Just make sure your CPU cooler is rated to handle a high enough TDP for your CPU and have good case airflow and you should be good.  

I have a Cryorig H7 on my 6700K and it seems to work rather well.

Ask @ShadowTechXTS and @Mooshi I believe both of them also have H7 coolers if you want more input.  

Otherwise cryorig makes other coolers that perform even better than the H7 (including others that like the H7 do NOT interfere with RAM choice) in case you're interested:

http://www.cryorig.com/product.php

To be honest I'd love to get an H5 universal or a R1 universal to have extreme overkill CPU air cooling but I'm pretty sure neither would fit in my Aero-1000 case.  

Oh btw, Cryorig does make a few AIO CPU water coolers with a unique added fan on them though I've never used one so idk about those.  

Newegg seems to be the best place to buy Cryorig that I know of though Amazon does have at least some Cryorig stuff as fulfillment by Amazon items in case you'd decide to get anything Cryorig.  

I hope this helps.  

19 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Just make sure your CPU cooler is rated to handle a high enough TDP for your CPU and have good case airflow and you should be good.  

I have a Cryorig H7 on my 6700K and it seems to work rather well.

Ask @ShadowTechXTS and @Mooshi I believe both of them also have H7 coolers if you want more input.  

Otherwise cryorig makes other coolers that perform even better than the H7 (including others that like the H7 do NOT interfere with RAM choice) in case you're interested:

http://www.cryorig.com/product.php

To be honest I'd love to get an H5 universal or a R1 universal to have extreme overkill CPU air cooling but I'm pretty sure neither would fit in my Aero-1000 case.  

Oh btw, Cryorig does make a few AIO CPU water coolers with a unique added fan on them though I've never used one so idk about those.  

Newegg seems to be the best place to buy Cryorig that I know of though Amazon does have at least some Cryorig stuff as fulfillment by Amazon items in case you'd decide to get anything Cryorig.  

I hope this helps.  

This does help. I was acutally looking at the Cryorig R1 Ultimate and the TDP on that is 250+ W and the TDP on the i7 5820k is 140 W. Now I'm not sure what that means in terms of cooling, but seeing how the TDP on the cooler is higher than the CPU that must be good. 

As for air flow, this is something I've had trouble configuring. I have the NZXT Phantom Crafted. I have two fans on the side panel that bring in air by the HDDs then one fan taking air out the front thats pretty close to the the two side panel ones. The rear is taking in air, and the top fan is exhaust. I have room for a 200mm fan on the side panel with the other two fans and it's right next to the GPU. 

1 hour ago, SpiderWhale said:

This does help. I was acutally looking at the Cryorig R1 Ultimate and the TDP on that is 250+ W and the TDP on the i7 5820k is 140 W. Now I'm not sure what that means in terms of cooling, but seeing how the TDP on the cooler is higher than the CPU that must be good. 

As for air flow, this is something I've had trouble configuring. I have the NZXT Phantom Crafted. I have two fans on the side panel that bring in air by the HDDs then one fan taking air out the front thats pretty close to the the two side panel ones. The rear is taking in air, and the top fan is exhaust. I have room for a 200mm fan on the side panel with the other two fans and it's right next to the GPU. 

My understanding is that TDP is more of a rough indicator for heat generation/cooling ability.

That being said I assume it's a suitable indicator of heat generated vs cooling ability in that so long as the TDP rating of the cooler is higher than the CPU you'll be fine.  

How fine will be determined partly by how much higher the cooler TDP is rated vs the CPU TDP.  I saw partly because there may be other factors that affect how much air cooling can do but I'm no expert so idk if there might be or not.  

To use your 5820K and the R1 as an example:

if the TDP of the 5820K is 140W and the R1 is rated to handle 250W then it it's likely plenty capable of keeping your CPU cool enough.

I just looked up your case.  It only has 1 front fan mount?

I would suggest making a new topic specifically about your fab setup to get further help but for now my suggested setup is:

Front: 140mm mount right?  Make that intake.

Side: Use the 2 120mm mounts and the 200mm all for intake too.

Rear: 120 mount?  Make that exhaust.

Top: use 1 of the 200mm mounts for exhaust.

With a large case like that I'd think lots of airflow will be important and while neutral air pressure isn't bad I've come to the opinion that positive air pressure (more in thsn out) is better.

Reason being that exactly neutral is going to be tricky to achieve since it's unlikely that all your case fans would be spinning at the same speed and in your case aren't even the same size.

If you had more exhaust than intake (negative pressure) then air (bringing dust with it) will try to get into your case through every spot it can.  This will cause increased dust buildup in your case which is bad.

More intake than exhaust (positive pressure) means the opposite.  Air won't be coming in everywhere but may come out which prevents the increased dust problem.  

The fan configuration I just mentioned (for front, side, top, and rear) will give you more intake than exhaust and should do a decent job helping keep your case cool enough for your liking.

Just make sure when you install the R1 Ultimate (or whatever CPU cooler you end up buying) that you have it oriented so the fans on the R1 Ultimate blow air towards the back of your case right into what in the fan configuration I suggested will be your rear exhaust fan.  

Sorry that's so long.    Again I do suggest you make another topic in the air cooling section to ask more about your fan setup.

Because while I think my idea for it will improve your airflow and case cooling I'm not as experienced as others may be so having additional input may give you more and possibly better ideas.

Or try my way and if it doesn't do as well as you'd like then make a topic if you'd need more help.  Whatever works best for you.