Old single thread cpu vs single code of modern CPU

I am trying to troubleshoot a problem with a proprietary software I work for.  Our MINIMUM specs are P3 3GHZ.

I am looking at one company who has a DUAL Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2603 v3

Performance
# of Cores 6
# of Threads 6
Processor Base Frequency 1.60 GHz

So they perform a certain function in the software, and one core of the 12 PEGS to 100% until complete.  While this happens the software becomes unresponsive.

I want to make a recommendation that each CORE needs to be higher MHZ count.  It's great that you have 12 cores (no hyperthreading), but our software only uses 1.

Does anyone have any data on how a single core P3 from 10 years ago actual compares to a single core of the above mentioned E5?  I know modern CPU's are better and more efficient, but can it really make up a 50% clock speed deficiency with other efficiency improvements?

I would love to see some data on this - again, single threaded apps only.

comparing cpu's with a huge age difference and not just benchmakring your program is hard.

BUt the best guess i have is the xeon is about 3-4x the speed. Look at the singlethreaded numbers on passmark, and there clocked fairly simmilar(the xeon is 1.6 and the pIII is 1.26)

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Pentium+III+1133+%40+1133MHz&id=1694

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+E5-2603+v3+%40+1.60GHz

20 minutes ago, pizzleboy said:

… a single core P3 from 10 years ago …

Closer to 20, actually. Pentium III's range from 16–18 years old, depending on the SKU.

I admit I have no data on this (and I'd be surprised if anyone did), but bearing in mind the monumental differences I think it's safe to assume the Pentium III is way, way less than half as fast as a single Haswell-era Intel core. Even at 1.6 GHz, the Xeon is probably still far faster. At this point the difference in instruction sets alone could make them practically impossible to compare in a meaningful way.