First Camera - Point-And-Shoot

Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy my first ever camera. I'm not going to do anything professional nor am I looking to venture into the the artistic side of photography. (at least no yet).

I just want something to take quality photos and videos, when I'm out on walks, certain ocasions/holidays or family outings.

My max budget is 500€ (I'm in the EU). I would like something small, hence the title, that I can transport easily in my pocket.

I've looked at some options, one that caught my eye was the Canon G9x Mark II, the only downside is that it does not shoot 4k video.

Any more suggestions?

Thanks ;)

13 minutes ago, Klenex said:

Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy my first ever camera. I'm not going to do anything professional nor am I looking to venture into the the artistic side of photography. (at least no yet).

I just want something to take quality photos and videos, when I'm out on walks, certain ocasions/holidays or family outings.

My max budget is 500€ (I'm in the EU). I would like something small, hence the title, that I can transport easily in my pocket.

I've looked at some options, one that caught my eye was the Canon G9x Mark II, the only downside is that it does not shoot 4k video.

Any more suggestions?

Thanks ;)

The Canon G series cameras are pretty good, also check out Sony RX100 mark something.  You might also find a decent Panasonic.  I would advise staying away from Nikon point-n-shoots, while I am a Nikonian DSLR shooter I feel their PnS's are not as good as Canon.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

6 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

The Canon G series cameras are pretty good, also check out Sony RX100 mark something.  You might also find a decent Panasonic.  I would advise staying away from Nikon point-n-shoots, while I am a Nikonian DSLR shooter I feel their PnS's are not as good as Canon.

Thank's for the input ;)

The RX100 series is quite expensive, especially considering I would have to buy at least the Mark IV to get 4k video, and that's nearly 800€ all ready :P

I was also looking at the LX15 and TZ100 from panasonic, but they goe over my budget a bit, althought they tick all my requirements.

Just now, Klenex said:

Thank's for the input ;)

The RX100 series is quite expensive, especially considering I would have to buy at least the Mark IV to get 4k video, and that's nearly 800€ all ready :P

I was also looking at the LX15 from panasonic, but it goes over my budget a bit, althought it ticks all my requirements.

Do you really need 4K?

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

Just now, AkiraDaarkst said:

Do you really need 4K?

I dont know actually.

1080 video on smartphones looks pretty bad, 4k looks pretty good.

I don't know how this translates over to compact cameras within my budget though.

Just now, Klenex said:

I dont know actually.

1080 video on smartphones looks pretty bad, 4k looks pretty good.

I don't know how this translates over to compact cameras within my budget though.

If you have a phone with a good camera, you might not need a PnS.  A point and shoot camera has some advantages over a phone camera, but only if it's a good PnS camera.  Cheap PnS cameras and good phone cameras can have the same quality.

A good PnS camera like the Sony RX100 or Canon G series:

• will likely have sensors that are larger (not too large like DSLR sensors) than ones inside a phone
  • optical zoom lenses
  • they are designed to be dedicated cameras
  • some good models will offer various levels of control over every aspect of the camera, up to full manual of Shutter, Aperture, ISO

Just now, AkiraDaarkst said:

If you have a phone with a good camera, you might not need a PnS.  A point and shoot camera has some advantages over a phone camera, but only if it's a good PnS camera.  Cheap PnS cameras and good phone cameras can have the same quality.

A good PnS camera like the Sony RX100 or Canon G series:

• will likely have sensors that are larger (not too large like DSLR sensors) than ones inside a phone
  • optical zoom lenses
  • they are designed to be dedicated cameras
  • some good models will offer various levels of control over every aspect of the camera, up to full manual of Shutter, Aperture, ISO

I don't have a flagship smartphone anymore, I used to have an LG G4 and it was pretty good, but the quality decrease when the lighting started to get dimmer and dimmer was unreal!

Yesterday I tried filming a bit of a fireworks display during the night, not only was the video at something like 18fps, the noise and focus issues made the footage beyond saving :(

The options I was considering I think had sensors around 1inch. I guess that's acceptable for a compact PnS?

Just now, Klenex said:

I don't have a flagship smartphone anymore, I used to have an LG G4 and it was pretty good, but the quality decrease when the lighting started to get dimmer and dimmer was unreal!

Yesterday I tried filming a bit of a fireworks display during the night, not only was the video at something like 18fps, the noise and focus issues made the footage beyond saving :(

The options I was considering I think had sensors around 1inch. I guess that's acceptable for a compact PnS?

Fireworks and low light photos, a PnS won't be that significantly better.  Something like the RX100 mk IV might be able to do a good job, but if you really want to take photos of fireworks or photos in low light/evening hours, a DSLR with good lenses will be the best choice... but they tend to be out of your budget.

8 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Fireworks and low light photos, a PnS won't be that significantly better.  Something like the RX100 mk IV might be able to do a good job, but if you really want to take photos of fireworks or photos in low light/evening hours, a DSLR with good lenses will be the best choice... but they tend to be out of your budget.

Night/Evening settings won't be my main focus, but it is something that definitely happens.

I basically want a good all-rounder within my budget, but I think that pretty much anything is going to be better that a smartphone at this price point:

Here is a sample of a night shot taken with G9x Mark II (has compression from google drive):

KdyH57j.png

Meanwhile with my smartphone:

kRqDoOL.jpg

7 minutes ago, Klenex said:

As I already stated, the G series from Canon are good PnS cameras.

2 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

As I already stated, the G series from Canon are good PnS cameras.

Any thoughts on the Panasonic TZ80? It's similarly priced as the G9, the TZ100 is a bit out of my reach.

I was also looking at the Sony DSCHX90 as a slightly cheaper option.

2 minutes ago, Klenex said:

Any thoughts on the Panasonic TZ80? It's similarly priced as the G9, the TZ100 is a bit out of my reach.

I was also looking at the Sony DSCHX90 as a slightly cheaper option.

Check online reviews.  My personal opinion is that most cameras are only as good as the person using them.

2 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Check online reviews.  My personal opinion is that most cameras are only as good as the person using them.

Just like what you mentioned about Nikon PnS, you might have known something about the ones I referred too.

But thank you anyway ;)

8 minutes ago, Klenex said:

Just like what you mentioned about Nikon PnS, you might have known something about the ones I referred too.

But thank you anyway ;)

I have experience with Canon and Nikon PnS only, not much with Sony or Panasonic.