Question about HDMI 2.1

Go to solution Solved by Glenwing,
3 hours ago, MoonZ said:

Sorry if this question really sounds "noobish". But if HDMI 2.1 supports 10k resolution at 120Hz, will it do 1080p or 1440p at even higher frame rates, or just at 120Hz on all resolutions? I know that the older HDMI's didn't have the bandwidth to go over 60Hz but will that apply to HDMI 2.1 as well? 

Yes, it can be used for higher refresh rates at lower resolutions, if the display supports it. This is also true of previous versions of HDMI, no version of HDMI has ever been limited to 60 Hz.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/729232-guide-to-display-cables-adapters-v2/?output=HDMI

Sorry if this question really sounds "noobish". But if HDMI 2.1 supports 10k resolution at 120Hz, will it do 1080p or 1440p at even higher frame rates, or just at 120Hz on all resolutions? I know that the older HDMI's didn't have the bandwidth to go over 60Hz but will that apply to HDMI 2.1 as well? 

The display will only go up to 120 and not over it is capable of doing it but it cant because the display is bottle-necking it 

I have a 60 Hz monitor and it wont go above 60 fps because that is the limit Hz is how much fps your display can handle and it doesn't matter how fast you pc or anything else is. Hope this helps

46 minutes ago, Captinjigglesworth said:

The display will only go up to 120 and not over it is capable of doing it but it cant because the display is bottle-necking it 

Ahh I see now, you need a 120Hz display to see over 120fps. I think DisplayPort sounds better in my opinion.

3 hours ago, MoonZ said:

Yes, it can be used for higher refresh rates at lower resolutions, if the display supports it. This is also true of previous versions of HDMI, no version of HDMI has ever been limited to 60 Hz.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/729232-guide-to-display-cables-adapters-v2/?output=HDMI

15 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

So if I have a 1920x1080 120Hz monitor, does HDMI 2.0 support it?

13 minutes ago, MoonZ said:

So if I have a 1920x1080 120Hz monitor, does HDMI 2.0 support it?

Possibly. Any monitor with HDMI 1.3 or above can support 1080p 144 Hz, although not all monitors choose to support it. Some are limited to 60 Hz over HDMI but this is a limitation of those particular monitors, it doesn't have anything to do with HDMI itself, and other monitors do allow 1080p 144 Hz over HDMI 1.4 like the ViewSonic XG2401.

On 6/24/2017 at 0:06 PM, Glenwing said:

Possibly. Any monitor with HDMI 1.3 or above can support 1080p 144 Hz, although not all monitors choose to support it. Some are limited to 60 Hz over HDMI but this is a limitation of those particular monitors, it doesn't have anything to do with HDMI itself, and other monitors do allow 1080p 144 Hz over HDMI 1.4 like the ViewSonic XG2401.

True, but honestly it's kinda disappointing that not a lot of display manufacturers like BenQ or ASUS don't use HDMI till it's fullest potential. Thanks for your input.