Building my first DIY case, help me plan!

UPDATE 3: It feels like I'm nearing the final revision! I've added a PSU shroud and updated textures, as well as completed the internal framework of the cuts. I'm hoping I can convert this model to a CAD software to have it routed on a CNC, so if anyone has experience with this, I would really appreciate advice! Sketchup has served me well, but I doubt it will interface well with more professional applications. I also realized that there was no easy way to mount or clean the rad, so I opted to mount the faceplate with magnets and added a magnetic dust cover. I'm still eager to find flaws in this design before I build it, so feel free to chime in on any further improvements!

====================================================================

UPDATE 2: Incorporated a DDC pump/res instead of the apogee, redesigned loop accordingly, made better pics.

====================================================================

UPDATE: I've completed a new revision of the case with a different water cooling loop, rotated PSU, and bigger radiator (triple 140mm), pics below!

I switched from a pump/res combo to a pump/CPU block combo to make the design of the loop more simple, let me know if this is unwise.

==========================================================================================

So I'm in the early stages of designing a custom case for my next PC. Below are images of my current iteration, let me know what you think! Since I've never designed a case before, let me know if there are any ways that this could be improved as well. I am in the US and price isn't a major concern. The PC I'm building into this will be used for gaming/VR, streaming, editing, recording, basically everything, lol. The parts going into it will be whichever top end nvidia GPU is out in a couple years, and the highest non X SKU I7 (will be overclocked and delidded).

Why am I building this?

I've looked around a lot for a case that can fit perfectly in my media center and come up with nothing that satisfies my needs; to fit nicely in my home theater with minimal noise and light pollution, and without compromising on cooling or components. I also wanted something that doesn't look out of place in my media center (pictured below).

IMG_20170625_115944_HDR.thumb.jpg.3586d8bba1aa448e4daffa6f56789527.jpg

Sony 65" A1E for scale ;) My Current case is the Lian Li in the bottom center.

Current questions: 

• What material is ideal for this? I'm looking at 1/4" MDF currently, but am concerned about strength due to the small cuts being made. Could HDPE serve better?
  • There are a lot of fine cuts needed for this design. Should I even attempt that with a router and guide, or should I go through the effort of finding someone that has a CNC router?

Part list:

If anyone can recommend better alternatives to the parts listed above, I would really appreciate it!

==============================================================================================

599481798a511_Front-transp.png.86f09d2ff9c50bbd4e88f63377f6a87a.png

5994817c90144_Topangleempty-transp.png.af82898cda07c3ca24378bb6244124de.png

599481746d33c_Back-transp.png.0e17aeb47621479b82bc76bf6ac59a55.png

5994817691f04_Bottom-transp.png.1960f3167ee5a48fcee32f27d55ed3ca.png

Exploded.png.0d77f3672d0b5ec69d9bb8af2a21a741.png

5994817bb498c_Topangle-transp.png.10baf7ce6033b5cfe1d53d3814e39873.png

5994817a2c309_monotranspangle.png.0ad4d7c2bc103ce1ef088618e8df8a60.png

Front.png.809f19acd3766719a86294afd50a11dc.png

5994817954510_Front-nocover.png.c3862b63f5599df8de3e139844231cf2.png

Back.png.73ffb47f2ebc87e30e71d96c1f2c81e6.png

Bottom.png.75277d74d8462f5d1ff82021df24b4e7.png

Top.png.a453adfcdb1e377cd69af6daf494ac2a.png

5994817a6efd0_Topangle-nolid.png.b332eb6099b98475e35524bcd9e0ebd1.png

5994817e090b7_WCloop.png.acd3c6e613d9ebeb2d40f26e9e6abd9b.png

Keep in mind that most of the internal components are only placeholder parts that match average sizes. This currently includes mobo, GPU (and cooler), sound card, radiator, and PSU.

Edited by vash2695
Added detail, updated photos with new model

B+ it look like it will work fine. Only advise at this point is to use proper tool and glue everything.

I think the case looks really nice. My only concern would be thermals. I see you've opted for watercooling which looks really nice. My only concern is can you add another exhaust fan just to allow any heat that dissipates throughout the case to have an alternate route? Other than that, this looks amazing!

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

@Hiitchy Thank you! I did consider another fan, but due to size constraints, I would only be able to add a 92mm or 80mm, which would be noisier than I would like. I should mention, though, that this case is going in a media center that has ventilation in the wall directly behind it, so the heat should dissipate pretty well.

@jcw150 I will be using 1/4" MDF. My biggest concern was how well that would hold up to the fine cuts required for this (most being 1/8" pockets), and I'll be using wood glue to put it together.

@vash2695 That's understandable. Overall it's much better than anything I can do. Keep us updated on what the final product looks like. Who knows, you may have a spot at CES hehe

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

Thanks for the replies so far! I've updated the OP for greater detail and clarity :)

Ok, I'm looking into replacing the MDF with HDPE (plastic) for my building material. This is more expensive, but it might have a pretty big strength advantage. Has anyone here built a case using this?

19 hours ago, vash2695 said:

Ok, I'm looking into replacing the MDF with HDPE (plastic) for my building material. This is more expensive, but it might have a pretty big strength advantage. Has anyone here built a case using this?

HDPE is slippery and not a good painting surface. If you want strength use good old plywood (not OSB).

On 6/26/2017 at 2:30 PM, Marshnt said:

HDPE is slippery and not a good painting surface. If you want strength use good old plywood (not OSB).

Good to know! My very first choice was 1/4" birch plywood before I moved to MDF, do you think that would be better?

3 hours ago, vash2695 said:

Good to know! My very first choice was 1/4" birch plywood before I moved to MDF, do you think that would be better?

1/2" or if on a budget 3/8" plywood will give a stronger and better looking finished product, and I if you go with a nice birch plywood I highly suggest staining it (check out Minwax water based stain for outrageous colors).

2 hours ago, Marshnt said:

1/2" or if on a budget 3/8" plywood will give a stronger and better looking finished product, and I if you go with a nice birch plywood I highly suggest staining it (check out Minwax water based stain for outrageous colors).

Yeah, ideally I would have designed for greater thickness, but due to space constraints I can't go thicker than 1/4" and still fit in everything. I was actually going to do a quick poly finish on the bare wood/MDF, then use vinyl to cover it. Doing that I could make the entire case look like a single piece.

I do love the custom Minwax stains, though. I used that when I refinished one of my guitars :)

20170417_105859.thumb.jpg.a7c791e031f4bd66ea3ed7d8d7e8b52c.jpg

14 hours ago, vash2695 said:

Yeah, ideally I would have designed for greater thickness, but due to space constraints I can't go thicker than 1/4" and still fit in everything. I was actually going to do a quick poly finish on the bare wood/MDF, then use vinyl to cover it. Doing that I could make the entire case look like a single piece.

Flipping your PSU on its side would free up some space

On 6/28/2017 at 1:13 PM, Marshnt said:

Flipping your PSU on its side would free up some space

So I'm redesigning a second version of the case with this in mind, with the sides being 1/2". So far it looks solid, and I'll add pics when it's done. Thank you!

Ok, new case design is up! Let me know what you think :)

19 hours ago, vash2695 said:

Ok, new case design is up! Let me know what you think :)

Much cleaner the the first rendering. The only flaw i can see it pump on the CPU block it ugly and potentially a problem, when loops fail fittings and pumps seem to be the big ones.  And whats the clearance for the bottom cable management?

I wouldn't worry to much about exhaust, you could even remove the back fan and go slimmer if you want, think of it this way, as long as you got the vent holes in the back the from fans will be pushing hot air out of them as its all flowing through the case, Also the way your PSU is orientated it will also be sucking air out the case. 

People go a bit overboard with fans, its like the old Linus videos of does cable management matter where even in a case stuffed with cables the effect is minimal, same with fans, as long as you have cold/Colder air entering and its been pushed out somehow you'll be find. 

I'm also building a box style system and running 1x 140 by the CPu and 1x140 by the GPU and vents above and behind them to let the air escape, already run airflow tests in Solidworks and the air moves perfectly even with heat generating parts, they actually help move it out the system. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

On 7/3/2017 at 7:50 PM, Marshnt said:

Much cleaner the the first rendering. The only flaw i can see it pump on the CPU block it ugly and potentially a problem, when loops fail fittings and pumps seem to be the big ones.  And whats the clearance for the bottom cable management?

Thank you! Bottom clearance for cable management is 3/4", and I'm ordering cablemod cables to custom length, so excess shouldn't be an issue. I do agree that the apogee is pretty ugly, and it's placement in relation to the res is pretty poor (filling might be a challenge), but I couldn't come up with an alternative as of yet. I might try moving it next to the PSU since I have a bit of space there now.

Ok, I've replaced the ugly apogee with a standard EK block and moved to a DDC pump/res. Feels like we're getting closer to a final version, who else can come up with ideas :)

• 1 month later...