My Ryzen 1600X is only showing 3C/6T active. How do I activate the other cores?

I can't seem to figure out why or how to unlock the 3 cores that are supposed toi be a part of the 1600X. I didn't even notice until I downloaded Ryzen Master Utility and then looked at CPU-Z and saw that there were only 3 cores and 6 threads. I knew that my computer wasn't really working up to spec when I couldn't load some games, namely Metal Gear Solid 5, which doesn't load at all without crashing. I have a 1080 Strix, so it's not like my GPU is the bottleneck. I can seem to OC the 1600X up to 4.1 just fine but obviously those extra cores would help, at least in releiving some of the tasks in the background. 

btw I see where I can choose to lock 0,2, or 4 cores in Ryzen Master, and save the profile. It says the computer needs to be restarted but doesn't give me an option, or I don't necessarily see it, to save and apply that profile. 

have your cores been turned off in bios?

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

2 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

Generally a good starting place ^_^

#Bump

13 minutes ago, likwidsolutions said:

I can't seem to figure out why or how to unlock the 3 cores that are supposed toi be a part of the 1600X. I didn't even notice until I downloaded Ryzen Master Utility and then looked at CPU-Z and saw that there were only 3 cores and 6 threads. I knew that my computer wasn't really working up to spec when I couldn't load some games, namely Metal Gear Solid 5, which doesn't load at all without crashing. I have a 1080 Strix, so it's not like my GPU is the bottleneck. I can seem to OC the 1600X up to 4.1 just fine but obviously those extra cores would help, at least in releiving some of the tasks in the background. 

Is this a clean install?

Don't waste your time with Ryzen master use the BIOS.

Check SMT is enabled in the BIOS and also that 6 cores are active (3+3)

cores could be disabled in BIOS or Windows hasent detected them(i know there can be some strange stuff with that somtimes)

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Try looking in the bios for the core lock settings. If it says 6c 12t there try clearing cmos.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

8 hours ago, SCHISCHKA said:

lol of course it is. I have looked and don't see any option to do so. I am using a Gigabyte X370 Gaming K5 so if anyone knows their way around the UEFI and can tell me where I am missing the option assuming there is one that'd be helpful. My BIOS does say 6 Cores 12 Threads though so I don't think it's that. 

8 hours ago, DocSwag said:

Try looking in the bios for the core lock settings. If it says 6c 12t there try clearing cmos.

Had to clear CMOS a few times to try and OC my memory and playing around with the voltages. But thanks. Any other responses I am still reading so I will get to each, thanks for trying to help though. 

Yeah it seems like you guys have thought of all the things I have and tried. I did google some stuff to try and figure it out. I might just try restoring windows, or maybe run a Live Linux Distro and see what I get there to see if it's the OS which would make sense. 

1 hour ago, likwidsolutions said:

lol of course it is. I have looked and don't see any option to do so. I am using a Gigabyte X370 Gaming K5 so if anyone knows their way around the UEFI and can tell me where I am missing the option assuming there is one that'd be helpful. My BIOS does say 6 Cores 12 Threads though so I don't think it's that. 

Perhaps try updating the bios to the latest?

The settings for locking cores might be in the overclocking settings, btw.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Sorry I didn't respond back. I got it working. I don't know what it was but I did a fresh install of windows, Cleared CMOS justy in case, and it started working fine. I cranked it up to 4 or 4.1 GHz and it handles all my games fine and especially my unhealthy habit of an ungodly amount of browser tabs.