Hi,

I am looking to get a rugged/tough laptop for a trip I am doing in the summer; mainly to backup the photos and videos I will be taking. Therefore it just needs to run Windows or Linux and be able to transfer files. I am on a very tight budget of £100 ($130USD) so I am looking at used laptops. I am also interested in people's experiences with 'rugged' laptops. If there is a better solution feel free to suggest it.

Thank you for the help!

Gaming RigCPU: Intel Core i7 5820K @ Stock -- MOBO: Asus X-99 DELUXE -- RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengence LPX DDR4-2800Mhz  -- GPU: Asus GTX 970 STRIX -- SSD: 240GB SanDisk Extreme Pro -- HDD: 2TD WD Black -- PSU: Corsair RM750 750W -- CASE: Corsair 760T Black  -- Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO  -- Monitor(s): 2 x Packard Bell Viseo243D

That is seriously impressive, I was more worried about dirt and water than the physical strength of the laptop because from what I understand laptops branded as rugged generally have good IP/MIL-STD ratings.

Gaming RigCPU: Intel Core i7 5820K @ Stock -- MOBO: Asus X-99 DELUXE -- RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengence LPX DDR4-2800Mhz  -- GPU: Asus GTX 970 STRIX -- SSD: 240GB SanDisk Extreme Pro -- HDD: 2TD WD Black -- PSU: Corsair RM750 750W -- CASE: Corsair 760T Black  -- Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO  -- Monitor(s): 2 x Packard Bell Viseo243D

well, the guy has a video of him running an X200 over with a car, and besides a cracked screen the bloody thing was still on

they are built for taking whatever life throws at them

thinkpads don't care 

take a watch: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6K6Cxi2DVY (more water)

idk

What sort of magic did IBM/Lenovo use to accomplish this?

A roll cage around everything, carbon fiber everywhere, covers over the mobo and between the KB/m, etc. They're literally insanely well built machines and that's it

Too bad they don't make them like this anymore. X240 can't survive a cup of coffee without bricking

idk