Should I upgrade my g3258 or Buy a New Monitor

Hello, I have been watching LTT for a good few years now and am new to the forum.

I am currently using my 22" Samsung Tv as my monitor which has a resolution of 1360x768

My computer has a dual core Pentium g3258 and a GTX 750ti. 

I have a budget of £125 which converts to 160$. I am deciding whether to upgrade my monitor or buy a new cpu which is also on the LGA1150 socket (I have been looking at i5 4460 and i5 4690k)

any guidance and help would be greatly appreciated 

Thanks you

Another option could be to buy a GTX 1050ti 4gb?

if your CPU isn't OC'ed yet, then overclock it.

the problem is if you get a better monitor (1080p) then your card will have a hard time running games

if you get a better card, it will go to waste on a low-rez screen.

save up and get both at the same time IMO. RX 470/570, and 1080p monitor.

48 minutes ago, Wullium said:

I recommended an RX 470/570 because they're only a bit more expensive, and have MUCH better performance than a 1050Ti

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

I'd wait with getting a new CPU till you can afford a newer one with a new motherboard. a 1050ti is a good option that will also be valid for a while, you could also get a new, larger monitor.

PC: ryzen r7 1700 | Gigabyte GTX 1080 Windforce OC | gskill 16gb ddr4 2666mhz | Asrock AB 350m pro4 mobo | 120gb m.2 ssd, 240gb sata ssd, 2tb 7200rpm hdd | 750W Coolermaster powersupply | Phanteks Eclipse case | monitor: BenQ PD2500Q

8 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

if your CPU isn't OC'ed yet, then overclock it.

the problem is if you get a better monitor (1080p) then your card will have a hard time running games

if you get a better card, it will go to waste on a low-rez screen.

save up and get both at the same time IMO. RX 470/570, and 1080p monitor.

I recommended an RX 470/570 because they're only a bit more expensive, and have MUCH better performance than a 1050Ti

I Have an opportunity to buy an i5 4690k from a friend for £100, how future proof would it be? I can't run games like GTA V due to stuttering with the dual core, is is worth buying?

11 hours ago, Wullium said:

I Have an opportunity to buy an i5 4690k from a friend for £100, how future proof would it be? I can't run games like GTA V due to stuttering with the dual core, is is worth buying?

you don't have a Z series board, so it wouldn't be overclockable, but it would be a huge upgrade. more than double performance.

try to OC your current CPU first though.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

12 hours ago, Wullium said:

I would take that cpu in a second for that price as long as it's working properly. As a G3258 owner I know how poor a gaming cpu that is, and you'd be talking a night and day difference being able to run games at a smooth 60 fps, which the 750 Ti should be capable of for most games at that resolution (otherwise drop to high settings). GTA V is such a mess on a straight dual core but it will run great on a 4690k at stock speed.

I wouldn't call it future proof: i5 are starting to lag a little behind i7 and Ryzen R5/R7. But I'd imagine you should be good with it until 2020/2021 as long as you're willing to turn a couple of settings down a bit (eg don't max physics, don't max draw distance, don't max shadows). I figure 2020 is when to expect the new console generation and 2021 is when we'll start seeing most games optimized for that new generation, and that's when straight quadcores will probably start not being enough.

27 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

you don't have a Z series board, so it wouldn't be overclockable, but it would be a huge upgrade. more than double performance.

try to OC your current CPU first though.

As a G3258 owner, man the OC doesn't fix it. I could get mine to 4.4 GHz and it was still a terrible gaming cpu.

• 4 weeks later...
On May 31, 2017 at 0:49 PM, Wullium said:

Why not get that i5 4690K and is your motherboard Z chipset?

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

12 minutes ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

Why not get that i5 4690K and is your motherboard Z chipset?

why are you bringing up a thread from 3 weeks ago?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

11 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

why are you bringing up a thread from 3 weeks ago?

I am looking at my old notification list

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol