Cpu voltage significantly higher than set in bios.

Im new to overclocking and set a voltage of 1.2V to overclock my i5 6600k to 4.2 ghz on my hyper 212 evo and noticed that the voltage is consistently higher under load. The voltage is at 1.2V in cinebench and asus realbench but it climbs to 1.25 in Handbrake and went upto 1.29 in aida 64.  Am I doing something wrong or is this normal?

8 minutes ago, antoipod said:

Im new to overclocking and set a voltage of 1.2V to overclock my i5 6600k to 4.2 ghz on my hyper 212 evo and noticed that the voltage is consistently higher under load. The voltage is at 1.2V in cinebench and asus realbench but it climbs to 1.25 in Handbrake and went upto 1.29 in aida 64.  Am I doing something wrong or is this normal?

that kind of activity is normal and nothing to worry about, but if it bothers you you can set the voltage to static, although it could cause stability issues. If you set it to static voltage you made need a bit more to keep the system stable, the voltage spikes are just the motherboard delivering what the cpu requests to ensure stability on your OC.

Main Rig:

| 13900K@6.1/4.7 w/TVB | Corsair h150i Elite LCD | Sapphire NITRO SE+ 6900XT@2710MHz | ASUS Z790 Strix-E | Corsair DDR5 Dominator Platinum 2x16GB@6200MT/s | Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO |

My Folding Stats

7 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Did you make sure to set the voltage to static?  It sounds like it's on adaptive or something.

Yeah, I had set it to static but have the C-states enabled so the voltage drops when the CPU is idle, it's not on adaptive.

3 hours ago, antoipod said:

Yeah, I had set it to static but have the C-states enabled so the voltage drops when the CPU is idle, it's not on adaptive.

That's why.  It's fine normally, but with benchmarks and stress tests it pushes the voltage higher.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

16 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

That's why.  It's fine normally, but with benchmarks and stress tests it pushes the voltage higher.

I put it to 1.185V and it is consistantly pulling 1.26v when playing games, or video editing or encoding with handbrake, those don't stress tests, what can I do to get the voltage lower?

9 minutes ago, antoipod said:

I put it to 1.185V and it is consistantly pulling 1.26v when playing games, or video editing or encoding with handbrake, those don't stress tests, what can I do to get the voltage lower?

Set it to adaptive?

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

19 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Set it to adaptive?

I haven't stess tested and validated this overclock for a significant amount of time so I have to leave it on manual for now. Also for some reason Asus Realbench gets the voltage to 1.2 while everything else is at 1.26 or so