Broken Google Pixel XL

Yesterday my father drowned his google pixel after being in a Pelican case with a bad gasket.

the phone died of water at 50% and will only say 50% unless it's plugged in where he gets 100% but unplugging it makes it jump right back to 50%. How can i fix this? i can't find OEM batteries.

He just woke me up to tell me this story so i'm sorry if what i said doesn't make any sense. If you know a better way to reword that please tell me.

leave it in a bag of rice because a bunch of asains will come over and fix it during the night because of the rice smell actually it's because rice absorbs the water 

make sure its turned off ..

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

2 minutes ago, themctipers said:

leave it in a bag of rice because a bunch of asains will come over and fix it during the night because of the rice smell actually it's because rice absorbs the water 

make sure its turned off ..

He already went to a phone shop that put it in a heated vacuum chamber to remove water, No idea what it's called tho.

I should also mention my mothers iPhone died in the incident as well but she needs to upgrade (To android) anyway.

Just now, FlpDaMattress said:

He already went to a phone shop that put it in a heated vacuum chamber to remove water, No idea what it's called tho.

I should also mention my mothers iPhone died in the incident as well but she needs to upgrade (To android) anyway.

ok, well leave it for a few days or overnight for it to completely dry out, then power it on ..

take a backup of everything, in case it dies randomly.

check for any damage (screen, charging, battery, touch)

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

welp, hope its not filled with corrosion(idfk how to spell it leave me alone ffs) and leave it in a bag of rice, make sure u have a backup of everything, if rice doesnt help then contact a store which could help ya.

good luck.

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

-take it apart to dry it out 

- replace the battery 

- RMA 

welp, not everyone has enough experience to take it apart (i know jerryriganything did a tutorial but he probably doesnt have the tools.

RMA'ing it isnt always an option

Just now, bananawizard said:

welp, hope its not filled with corrosion(idfk how to spell it leave me alone ffs) and leave it in a bag of rice, make sure u have a backup of everything, if rice doesnt help then contact a store which could help ya.

good luck.

Rice isn't very effective when the phone has been thru a heated vacuum chamber for a half hour not to mention it's glued together, rice is more effective on phones that aren't glued together.

5 minutes ago, themctipers said:

ok, well leave it for a few days or overnight for it to completely dry out, then power it on ..

take a backup of everything, in case it dies randomly.

check for any damage (screen, charging, battery, touch)

Everything works just fine, the battery gauge is what's giving us the issue.

Rice isn't very effective when the phone has been thru a heated vacuum chamber for a half hour not to mention it's glued together, rice is more effective on phones that aren't glued together.

glued together?do u mean its held together good?

Everything works just fine, the battery gauge is what's giving us the issue.

discharge it to 0%, wait an hour, charge it back up. 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, bananawizard said:

glued together?do u mean its held together good?

The display assembly is adhered to the chassis of the device with glue.

Just now, themctipers said:

discharge it to 0%, wait an hour, charge it back up. 

Already did that twice, Didn't work.

The display assembly is adhered to the chassis of the device with glue.

oh that makes the phone a bit more water ressistiant, unglued phones would be dead a long time ago if dropped into water

1 minute ago, FlpDaMattress said:

Already did that twice, Didn't work.

replace the battery? 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

replace the battery? 

Can't find OEM batteries, Don't trust the knockoffs from previous encounters (on other phones)

1 minute ago, bananawizard said:

oh that makes the phone a bit more water ressistiant, unglued phones would be dead a long time ago if dropped into water

Counter: the pixel was submerged for at least an hour or so (absolutely no idea how long) meaning water that did get in (Speakers, Usb, Headphone jack, Buttons, Sim tray) would be pretty well trapped)

Not worth repairing unless you have some kinda of insurance which I am guessing you don't.