60fps gaming on 144hz monitor.

TheNewMemeLord

Hi, I'm planning to upgrade to a 144hz monitor later on this year and I was just wondering if there would be any difference between 60fps on a 60hz monitor with V-Sync On or 60fps capped on a 144hz monitor. Like would there be any screen tearing or would the experience be as smooth because my PC can't push 144fps on newer games but I want to play CS:GO at 144fps. 

atticus plz.

No difference, moreover VSync will introduce input lag and maybe screen tearing

What are your current specs? CSGO can easily reach 144Hz+ FPS but depends on what resolution and settings you're playing

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

1 minute ago, TheNewMemeLord said:

Hi, I'm planning to upgrade to a 144hz monitor later on this year and I was just wondering if there would be any difference between 60fps on a 60hz monitor with V-Sync On or 60fps capped on a 144hz monitor. Like would there be any screen tearing or would the experience be as smooth because my PC can't push 144fps on newer games but I want to play CS:GO at 144fps. 

It depends a bit if you would use Vsync on the 144hz one there is no difference between 60hz monitor Vsync and 144hz Monitor Vsync.

However if it's a freesync 144hz monitor and you leave it's freesync range you could experience some tearing when you drop on 30fps on a 48-144hz freesync monitor for example.

But in general no difference between 144hz monitor and 60hz monitor if you can't go over 60fps due hardware limitations (or poor coded/outdated game programming).

2 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

No difference, moreover VSync will introduce input lag and maybe screen tearing

What are your current specs? CSGO can easily reach 144Hz+ FPS but depends on what resolution and settings you're playing

Welp that solves it, thanks. I know I can run CS over 144fps :) cause that's basically the only reason I'm getting it. 

atticus plz.

13 minutes ago, TheNewMemeLord said:

60 fps won't be as smooth on a 144 Hz monitor as it would on a 60 Hz monitor, but you can always set your 144 Hz monitor to run at 60 Hz if you want to.

40 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

60 fps won't be as smooth on a 144 Hz monitor as it would on a 60 Hz monitor, but you can always set your 144 Hz monitor to run at 60 Hz if you want to.

Thanks, do you know if there is any way to automate this when I open a game other than CS?

atticus plz.

You could use V-Sync with Half refresh rate. That way, your fps will be V-Sync capped to 72 fps.

Which Monitor are we talking about? Which GPU?

if you do have an AMD GPU, you might just get a Freesync Monitor (which are the same Price as normal Monitors without Freesync).

That way, it doesn't matter if your GPU only pushes 60 fps, or 67 fps or 54,85 fps. Monitor will sync to that, and you will have a smooth experience.

From my personal experience, Witcher 3 for example is very good playable in 45-50 fps, IF you have G-Sync / Freesync.

When i had my 60 Hz Monitor, Withcer 3 was only smooth playble, if i used V-Sync and capped the fps at 60.

so yea.. really, go for Freesync, if you have an AMD Card.

Don't set your 144hz to run at 60hz.  If you can run at least 90fps then you won't have a problem with excessive tearing and trust me when I say that the input lag introduced by vsync or the motion blur and delay of 60hz are far more annoying than a little screen tearing.  Also, if you can't maintain a good fps you're better off turning down some settings on games than lowering your refresh rate.  I am still running SLI 780ti's and I have no problem running at 120hz with ULMB in 1440p, so unless you have a much older GPU you should be fine... especially if it's 1080p and not 1440p.