Kubuntu or KDE Neon?

Alright changing OS in an hour or two so I need to make a decision quick.

I'm not new to Linux, I've used Ubuntu, Antergos, Zorin, but I've given up on installing Arch (errors after errors when trying to install the bootloader, I just want to try out kde lol).

Whichever one has the best functionality and customisation.

i5 3230M

4GB RAM

Intel HD Graphics

Doing some coding, web browsing, maybe some wine, usual stuff that should run fine on both distros.

I myself am reinstalling my os. I was quite comfortable with unity but then canonical said they were dropping it so I installed gnome only to find it's not as good and neither is kde. So now I am installing ubuntu server and I'm going back to my old favourite open box with no desktop manager. I have a custom network environment so a desktop manager was always going to be in the way and ubuntu server gives me a similar system to Debian but with a newer kernel.

TLDR If you want full customisation go for the Debian net install or if you have a new gpu like me that needs a newer kernel then get ubuntu server

have a look at running wine under lxc, it will sandbox it with no vm overhead. Iv just tried Firefox under lxc and it's great.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

If you've got the time I recommend you get the latest Ubuntu Net Installer, during installation it will as what packages you want and you can choose Gnome, KDE & XFCE to all be installed if you like. Then at login you can swap between which Desktop you want use.

Its a much better solution if you just want to test and are not sure which one you want to stick with but be warned, installation can take a REALLY long time (depending on your network speed).

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

7 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

If you've got the time I recommend you get the latest Ubuntu Net Installer, during installation it will as what packages you want and you can choose Gnome, KDE & XFCE to all be installed if you like. Then at login you can swap between which Desktop you want use.

Its a much better solution if you just want to test and are not sure which one you want to stick with but be warned, installation can take a REALLY long time (depending on your network speed).

Nah, I just want KDE. 

1 minute ago, jappypack said:

Nah, I just want KDE. 

Are you developing with kde or QT libraries or do you just want the desktop?

if you are making kde apps I can see how neon would be appealing but the latest libraries would be something I would want to sandbox. Iv never used it so I don't know how they manage versions and rollbacks.

if you want to reduce unpredictability after upgrades use kubuntu.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

From my experience the non developer edition of neon is more stable than kubuntu (those stupid random error popups from recent versions of ubuntu aren't there.) Also the packages are newer and it comes with fewer preinstalled programs. I'd choose Neon.

I recently tried Kubuntu 17.04 and I think it's a good release. Kubuntu has had some issues in the past, but I think it's likely to improve since KDE itself has been improving rapidly lately. You won't get new KDE software as soon with Kubuntu, even with the Kubuntu backports PPA, but you will get new non-KDE software sooner since KDE neon is based on LTS Ubuntu. The current version of LTS Ubuntu is 16.04 and the next will be 18.04. 18.04 will arrive in April of 2018.

Another vote for Kubuntu on that one. If you don't like it, OpenSUSE has a good KDE desktop setup.

As for bootloader issues, that seems to be a pretty vanilla setup, so if you are willing to give Arch another try, try this: (as root)

pacman -S grub

grub-install /dev/sdX

grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

I haven't used it in a while, but over the course of several years this never failed me.

On 2017-5-22 at 11:51 PM, CannonContraption said:

Another vote for Kubuntu on that one. If you don't like it, OpenSUSE has a good KDE desktop setup.

As for bootloader issues, that seems to be a pretty vanilla setup, so if you are willing to give Arch another try, try this: (as root)

pacman -S grub

grub-install /dev/sdX

grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

I haven't used it in a while, but over the course of several years this never failed me.

Ah, I remember that grub would not detect the EFI partition at all, no matter what I did, it just wouldn't. Yes I tried numerous methods, I even tried installing systemd instead but that was also a pain. I don't need Arch anyway, I just wanted a fast Operating System which Kubuntu delivers, I'm loving it right now and my one gripe about Ubuntu was that I didn't like the Unity desktop and Kubuntu of course takes care of that.

• 2 weeks later...

When I was learning KDE I choose Neon, it just felt snappier, the install was a breeze, and it has everything I needed for KDE out of the box. For some reason, when going through the guides KDE puts out there were some thing that Kubuntu did not have that I had to install in order to move forward.