1080ti problem?

Heavenswake

Got a new 1080ti about a month ago and everything was fine, or so i thought.  Recently I've began experiencing these spikes in WoW where my GPU usage would plummet for a second causing a massive stutter, things would return to normal right after.  This happens once every 30 mins - 2 hours so it is kinda hard to track down unless i'm playing for a long time.  I thought it was just WoW so i left Tomb Raider going as I slept and saw the same spikes, however drastically lower.  In WoW the frametime would spike to 200, in Tomb Raider it would only spike to 30-40.  Considering how random it can be I'm not sure if it was always there since installing my GPU and i just never saw it or something i did caused it, so I reinstalled windows but it is still there.

nHrhIAr.jpg

what CPU.

maybe it's loading a new area or something and it hangs for a sec.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

4670k.  However it is not loading, that picture of the graph was taken when I was just sitting afk.

what cpu?

Pc Specs

CPU: I7 6700k 4.5Ghz  Motherboard: Asus Z170-A Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4  Cpu Cooler: Corsair H100i v2  Storage: Crucial MX300 525GB/Hitachi Deskstar 3TB  Graphics Card: GTX 1080 Founders Edition Case: Corsair 750D Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 850w Keyboard: Corsair k70 Mouse: rival 300 

Just to clarify system is 

4670k OC'ed to 4.2

16GB RAM

1080ti Hydro

Asus Maximus VI Hero

650w Gold+ EVGA PSU

9 minutes ago, Heavenswake said:

4670k OC'ed to 4.2

Hmm, I don't know whats up with that GPU but a 4790k is a cheap upgrade that might fix your problem

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

1080ti problem?

This is the problem haha. Just kidding but seriously, I have had alot of hit and miss with my GTX 1080, lots of updates that causes LOTS of issues. It may simply be a driver issue that will get resolved with next update.

I would rather agree on what we share, than fight on what we don't. - Myself

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

Well I just ran Unigine heaven and it happened, so it's not game related.

6 minutes ago, Heavenswake said:

Well I just ran Unigine heaven and it happened

Like said, most likely driver related. Its brand new tech, always bound to be a few hiccups.

I would rather agree on what we share, than fight on what we don't. - Myself

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

4 minutes ago, Heavenswake said:

Well I just ran Unigine heaven and it happened, so it's not game related.

Hmmm, if possible check that all drivers have been updated, as despite automatic updates sometimes larger updates may require user agreement.

Also, if you GPU is still under guarantee/warranty I would certainly recommend of potentially contacting of its manafacturer immediately if such is not resolved here, but it probably will be hopefully.

I once did the unthinkable, back many headphones ago...

I split an audio split, again

23 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Hmm, I don't know whats up with that GPU but a 4790k is a cheap upgrade that might fix your problem

Most likely a RAM issue, also a 4790k is a Intel central proccesing unit not a dedicated graphics proccesing unit fam

I once did the unthinkable, back many headphones ago...

I split an audio split, again

1 minute ago, EnergyEclipse said:

Most likely a RAM issue, also a 4790k is a Intel central proccesing unit not a dedicated graphics proccesing unit fam

Still a pretty goo and cheap upgrade

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Welp I got out my old 970 and put it in... same issue .  I'm not sure what is going on here because before my 1080ti I had no problems with my PC.  Maybe a bad windows update?  I have no idea but I'm back to square 1.  The brightside is that I don't have to RMA my 1080ti I guess...

bxlDWGl.jpg

I know this probably sounds tedious, but perhaps do a clean install of Windows? The infrequency of the issue means it'll probably be difficult to track down, and the fact it's happening even with your old 970 indicates it's probably something within your Windows environment causing the issue, something like a bad Windows update, program, or something malicious. Working with a fresh slate should help give some better insight and/or direction.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-6850k @ 4.2GHz

GPU: 2x FE GTX 1080Ti

Memory: 16GB PNY Anarchy DDR4 3200MHz

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme 4

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7GHz

GPU: GTX 1050

Memory: 8GB Curcial Ballistix DDR4 2133MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H

I already did a reformat via windows 10 reset and even did the clean drive option (goodbye dark souls 3 save, rip). Anyways Windows updates itself and i don't think windows 10 has a way to stop auto updates like 7? I have all my stuff backed up on a separate drive so it wouldn't be too bad resetting again but that was the first thing I tried.

Did you do a Windows reset, or did you wipe your OS partition and install a fresh copy of Windows? Doing a reset won't necessarily work if the OS is borked. There are ways to disable the auto updates in Windows 10, which is easier on Pro, but still possible on Home.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

Reset. Guess it's time to find my USB and do it the regular way.

32 minutes ago, Heavenswake said:

Reset. Guess it's time to find my USB and do it the regular way.

I suggest doing that instead.

I had tried resetting my Windows 10 recently, due to failed mobo utility software install, but I was getting ultra slow bootups for some reason.

After clean install, everything is working smoothly. Just sad that I have to install everything again.

Look the first step here is DDU everything and reinstall drivers fresh new, this solves sooooo many issues that should always be your first step of action.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

10 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Look the first step here is DDU everything and reinstall drivers fresh new, this solves sooooo many issues that should always be your first step of action.

Did that already too

I think doing a clean install from a windows 10 ISO fixed the drop issue.  Ran a benchmark last night for 8 hours and didn't get a spike.  However I am now on the creators update and it is giving my games micro stutters ._.

False alarm, still happening.  Just happened twice in 10 mins of each other.  Probably worse now than it was before.

At this point, I'd say it's probably a hardware issue issue. Try resetting your BIOS and doing an update if possible. From there, I'd test the system with 1 stick of RAM at a time.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

This is so random it almost makes me feel crazy, been 4 hours since it last happened but happened 4 times within 15 mins or so last time.

Not sure if it was just a coincidence, but the last time it happened I had the resource monitor open and saw a hard fault with discord around the same time (hard to tell if it was at the -exact- time or not cause I was playing horizon zero Dawn on my PS4) but within seconds of it happening at least.

I did have a ram/motherboard problem last year and RMAed my board and got new ran, but meh I guess it's back to testing. Just sucks it seems so random.

While you were testing for the issue and you were getting the drop every 10-ish minutes, was discord running in the background?

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

Encoding Rig
Spoiler