Using my imac as an external monitor?

I am going to start buying parts for my pc soon (still don't have all of the money xd) I am currently using a 2011 27" imac with a 2400, a 1GB HD 6970M and 12gb of DDR3 of 1333mhz RAM. Needless to say I need an upgrade to meet my video editing AND gaming needs.

The only thing still good on this imac is the BEAUTIFUL 1440p IPS display. I mean, my uncle uses his pc for programming and watching movies and he has a $650 27" IPS monitor that this imac display that this imac display is just as good as.

I was originally going to sell my current imac to pay for parts but than I heard that you can use your imac as an external monitor (Also, no one wants this outdated potato).

I know you can use it with other imacs and macbooks but IDK about PC. I think you can use it with PC through displayport and maybe thunderbolt.

Does anyone have any experience or know anything about this because this is an amazing 1440p display that could save me lots of money on a monitor (and would be better than a monitor I would be able to afford).

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204592

Requires mini dp to whatever output/input you need

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

8 minutes ago, BlueJeanBaby said:

Don't forget to hit reply or tag so that I may receive notifications when replying to me.

And yes, that should work if you need  miniDP to DP. Since you are gaming as well, I'd pick up a miniDP to HDMI as well.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

38 minutes ago, BlueJeanBaby said:

I am going to start buying parts for my pc soon (still don't have all of the money xd) I am currently using a 2011 27" imac with a 2400, a 1GB HD 6970M and 12gb of DDR3 of 1333mhz RAM. Needless to say I need an upgrade to meet my video editing AND gaming needs.

The only thing still good on this imac is the BEAUTIFUL 1440p IPS display. I mean, my uncle uses his pc for programming and watching movies and he has a $650 27" IPS monitor that this imac display that this imac display is just as good as.

I was originally going to sell my current imac to pay for parts but than I heard that you can use your imac as an external monitor (Also, no one wants this outdated potato).

I know you can use it with other imacs and macbooks but IDK about PC. I think you can use it with PC through displayport and maybe thunderbolt.

Does anyone have any experience or know anything about this because this is an amazing 1440p display that could save me lots of money on a monitor (and would be better than a monitor I would be able to afford).

19 minutes ago, Scruffy90 said:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204592

Requires mini dp to whatever output/input you need

This is only possible from another Mac. It will not work from a PC.

3 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

This is only possible from another Mac.

Not entirely true. There is older documentation about 2011 imacs supporting thunderbolt to thunderbolt on a windows machine as well.The problem is which specific imac they have. It was around 2011 that they changed the way target display works and limited it to thunderbolt. 

9 minutes ago, Scruffy90 said:

And yes, that should work if you need  miniDP to DP. Since you are gaming as well, I'd pick up a miniDP to HDMI as well.

Makes sense, thanks for all of the help man!

7 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

This is only possible from another Mac. It will not work from a PC.

No, you can use it for PCs, Macs and consoles.

I was just wondering about what connection I need.

Just now, BlueJeanBaby said:

No, you can use it for PCs, Macs and consoles.

I was just wondering about what connection I need.

I'd test it anyway. Like I said above, its heavily dependent on which model you have. 2011 is when they changed the connection to thunderbolt <-->thunderbolt. 

Just now, Scruffy90 said:

I'd test it anyway. Like I said above, its heavily dependent on which model you have. 2011 is when they changed the connection to thunderbolt <-->thunderbolt. 

My friend uses an old 2009 imac for ps4. I was asking for the both of us because we want to move up to PC together.

I'm going to get the mini DP to HDMI and than test it on my dad's laptop just to be safe

8 minutes ago, Scruffy90 said:

I've been saving for like 4 months so far lol

• 1 month later...

I'm wondering the same things. i just want to use my iMac as a second monitor for my PC build. I'm having a hard time figuring it out. Other wise dunno what I'm going to do with my iMac cause i can't fit a third screen on my desk.