BookShelf Speakers for PC?

Ronnie46

I really love the look of bookshelf speakers but a friend said i cannot use bookshelf speakers with a pc. I don't want these for editing audio I just want to listen to music and have them look nice. is he incorrect in saying i cant use bookshelf speakers with a pc? also if you can recommend any speakers for around £100 please do. 

Thanks in advance <3

-Ronnie

Just now, Ronnie46 said:

I really love the look of bookshelf speakers but a friend said i cannot use bookshelf speakers with a pc. I don't want these for editing audio I just want to listen to music and have them look nice. is he incorrect in saying i cant use bookshelf speakers with a pc? also if you can recommend any speakers for around £100 please do. 

Thanks in advance <3

-Ronnie

Oh hell yes you can.

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

1 minute ago, RGProductions said:

Oh hell yes you can.

oh cool! can you recommend any bookshelf speakers?

2 minutes ago, RGProductions said:

Oh hell yes you can.

he also said that bookshelf speakers always have a flat sound because they are used to edit audio and so they are not good for listening to audio. is this also incorrect? <3

Just now, Ronnie46 said:

he also said that bookshelf speakers always have a flat sound because they are used to edit audio and so they are not good for listening to audio. is this also incorrect? <3

depends on which ones you get. 

Just now, SCGazelle said:

depends on which ones you get. 

how would i be able to tell the difference?

2 minutes ago, Ronnie46 said:

Not always, and they aren't always used for monitoring. But, I personally like a very flat sound because it means I can tune it without having to compensate for a frequency response curve.

3 minutes ago, Ronnie46 said:

oh cool! can you recommend any bookshelf speakers?

I'm more of a headphones guy

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

3 minutes ago, Ronnie46 said:

Your friend doesn't seem to know what he's talking about.

Flat does not mean they're not good for listening to music on.

Furthermore, you have to spend A LOT of money to get speakers with a really flat response curve.

What's your budget and what do you like to listen to, and we can recommend some you might like :)

my price point in around £100 and i mainly listen to rock but I listen to a lot of different shit. yeah he doesn't really know what he's talking about xD 

1 hour ago, rhyseyness said:

Your friend doesn't seem to know what he's talking about.

Flat does not mean they're not good for listening to music on.

Furthermore, you have to spend A LOT of money to get speakers with a really flat response curve.

What's your budget and what do you like to listen to, and we can recommend some you might like :)

any recommendations? :D

I am guessing you want a powered speaker so you don't need to amp it. I would always recommend to look used when we are in this kinda budget, but from new edifier is a decent option.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edifier-Studio-1280T-loudspeakers-bookshelf/dp/B00GBN50SC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493494012&sr=8-1&keywords=edifier

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/1ht/Edifier-R1800TIII-2-0-Studio-Speaker/B00RN2J6IU/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1493494012&sr=8-6&keywords=edifier

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

2 hours ago, Dackzy said:

I am guessing you want a powered speaker so you don't need to amp it. I would always recommend to look used when we are in this kinda budget, but from new edifier is a decent option.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edifier-Studio-1280T-loudspeakers-bookshelf/dp/B00GBN50SC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493494012&sr=8-1&keywords=edifier

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/1ht/Edifier-R1800TIII-2-0-Studio-Speaker/B00RN2J6IU/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1493494012&sr=8-6&keywords=edifier

thanks! ill take a look <3

2 hours ago, Dackzy said:

they look great! thanks for the reply :D

9 hours ago, Dackzy said:

Which is better ?

2 hours ago, Mi26 said:

Which is better ?

I would think the 1800T is the better option, since it is higher in their model line up, but I wouldn't expect too much of an difference.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

If Im not wrong the r1800tiii is newer than the r1280t 

5 hours ago, Mi26 said:

If Im not wrong the r1800tiii is newer than the r1280t 

it looks like the R1800TIII 2.0 are from Q2 2016 and the R1280T are from 2014, not that age really matters here..