New GPU

Hey so my friend recently got 300$ for his birthday/money saved over time and he asked me if I could get him a better gpu to play games such as ARMA 3 on High at 1080p (He started noticing some lag when playing at high on his 1050 so he bumped it down to regular,1080p). I recommended he wait for the RX 580 to come out as its better than his GTX 1050 and is reasonably cheap. But i wanted to see if anyone else could come up with a better option than that so yea. 

Arma 3 is a vary cpu depended game, what is his cpu? getting him a rx480 8gb will also work. 

lol i think its an AMD Athalon x4 860k

27 minutes ago, Wan70 said:

lol i think its an AMD Athalon x4 860k

Arma 3 is a game that really likes good single core performance. Any lag I doubt would be from GPU. A 1050 would likely be fine. My buddy says he plays that game with a GTX 770m and a mobile Ivy bridge i7 and it plays well for him. The 860k is not great single core performance as it's a budget cpu.

Upgrading to a RX 580 IMHO would be a waste of money. I would personally get a new mobo and cpu that offers better single core and quad core performance on the used market such as a Haswell i5 and keep the 1050.

I have an i5 3470 and I play sto, bf4, total war titles, star citizen, and elite dangerous and it crushes all of those cpu dependant games all at high settings. Not ultra settings, but high. 

Just my opinion though

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x cooled by Pure Rock Slim // RAM: Gskill Flare X 3200mhz CL14 2x16 32GB// GPU: Powercolor Red Devil RX 6650 XT 8GB// Motherboard: ASRock B450m Pro 4 // PSU: Seasonic G550 Gold 80+ // Storage: 4TB pcie nvme game drive, 512 GB m.2 sata3 OS Drive, 4 TB WD Red HDD // Monitor: Samsung S22D300 21.5" 1080p 60Hz, MSI 27" 1080p 144hz Freesync 1ms display // Peripherals:  Logitech fancy shmancy keyboard and moise with rgb and gaminess stuff, very fancy | Kingston HyperX Cloud Core headset