Android on linux anbox

This is cool. A bloke named Simon Fels has created a snap to run android apps on regular linux desktops. https://anbox.io/

Anbox puts the Android operating system into a container, abstracts hardware access and integrates core system services into a GNU/Linux system. Every Android application will be integrated with your operating system like any other native application.

something I have been waiting for a while is

Runs Android without hardware virtualization and seamlessly bridges over hardware acceleration features.

all you need to do is install snap and then install anbox

sudo apt install snapd

sudo snap install --classic anbox-installer && anbox-installer

before you ask

The Anbox project does not have any interest in shipping the Google Play store and we're not allowed to do so. We may add an easy way for our users at a later point which allows easy distribution of Android applications suited for the Anbox runtime environment.

and it takes ages to install.

here is the phoronix article https://phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Anbox-Android-Linux-Box

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Removed for Idiocy

Edited by TerraCraft64
I was an idiot

1 minute ago, TerraCraft64 said:

no such thing as dual booting in your case?

I develop for android. Rebooting to run one app is not productive

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

3 minutes ago, TerraCraft64 said:

no such thing as dual booting in your case?

Why dual boot if you can use it natively? That's the point of this.

4 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

I develop for android. Rebooting to run one app is not productive

what's wrong with using Android Studio and an emulator? Google provides all of that free of charge, I hardly notice a performance hit. what's wrong with the actual real phone, "adb push dev/sda1/home/user/documents/project.apk /sdcard/download/" and "adb shell am start -n com.package.name/com.package.name.ActivityName"

2 minutes ago, TerraCraft64 said:

what's wrong with using Android Studio and an emulator? Google provides all of that free of charge, I hardly notice a performance hit. what's wrong with the actual real phone, "adb push dev/sda1/home/user/documents/project.apk /sdcard/download/" and "adb shell am start -n com.package.name/com.package.name.ActivityName"

There have been a lot of situations where I wanted native apps on linux.

Try android studio and a VM on a laptop running off batteries. Leaving a phone plugged in drains the battery and so does running a VM.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

1 minute ago, SCHISCHKA said:

There have been a lot of situations where I wanted native apps on linux.

Try android studio and a VM on a laptop running off batteries. Leaving a phone plugged in drains the battery and so does running a VM.

I developed with android some time ago, I've made a couple apps, don't bother asking for sources because I can tell you straight up they suck. Really? That's funny because when I plug in my phone, my battery only dies one minute sooner than it would if it wasn't, having a usb mouse and keyboard take power, should I unplug those if I want to preserve my battery life even further?

2 minutes ago, TerraCraft64 said:

I developed with android some time ago, I've made a couple apps, don't bother asking for sources because I can tell you straight up they suck. Really? That's funny because when I plug in my phone, my battery only dies one minute sooner than it would if it wasn't, having a usb mouse and keyboard take power, should I unplug those if I want to preserve my battery life even further?

go away and do a days work making apps (not sucky ones) on a laptop battery. Please do not annoy me.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

6 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

go away and do a days work making apps (not sucky ones) on a laptop battery. Please do not annoy me.

I'd make more money as a college student working in a factory operating robotic arms,than I would developing apps.

3 hours ago, TerraCraft64 said:

1. Not everyone's laptop has the same battery life/power efficiency.

2. My laptop's power consumption goes up massively when I have the emulator running. 8 hours will turn into 2-4 hours depending on how intense what I'm doing is.

3. Why are you arguing?

1 hour ago, noahdvs said:

1. Not everyone's laptop has the same battery life/power efficiency.

2. My laptop's power consumption goes up massively when I have the emulator running. 8 hours will turn into 2-4 hours depending on how intense what I'm doing is.

3. Why are you arguing?

familiarize yourself with the block button. its the only reason I havnt left the noobyness of this forum yet

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

On ‎26‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 3:21 AM, TerraCraft64 said:

should I unplug those if I want to preserve my battery life even further?

technically yes :P 

this is actually pretty cool I might give this a go tomorrow.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´