Need help migrating OS from 1tb hard drive to 240 gig ssd

Go to solution Solved by Mira Yurizaki,
2 minutes ago, krish9116 said:

the bootloader partition is the one with the  windows files right? 

It's separate from the C:\ drive, where Windows is. It's not labeled, but it should be a few hundred megabytes.

Just now, krish9116 said:

so i need to create a bootable usb if im not wrong ? my issue is that me and my brother share this computer and he has a seperate user id. so i would prefer that these settings are saved. is there an option to create sucha bootable drive?

All of your user profile settings are saved in the account's %APPDATA% folder. If you type this into File Explorer, it'll take you to the directory that you need to back up if you want to save things.

You can also just copy wholesale the C:\Users folder. Though keep in mind that you'll run into permissions gremlins if you do a fresh install and try to transfer the files back.

hey guys

i use a win 10 pc which i upgraded from win 8.1. the current boot drive is a toshiba hard drive. i just want to migrate my os from the hdd to the ssd. i would prefer to keep the user settings and all that. any help will be appreciated.

thanks a lot ppl

Is the OS on a separate partition? 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Just now, Jamiec1130 said:

Is the OS on a separate partition? 

yes , i tried cloning using todo backup, for some reason it is not bootable

5 minutes ago, krish9116 said:

It's likely you didn't clone the bootloader partition. You can create one which is a little tricky, or you can wipe the drive, then clone the bootloader and OS partitions.

6 minutes ago, krish9116 said:

The easiest way by far is to simply reinstall Windows onto the SSD. This also helps to avoid potential issues from cloning. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

the bootloader partition is the one with the  windows files right?  or is it the partition that says system reserved

4 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

It's likely you didn't clone the bootloader partition. You can create one which is a little tricky, or you can wipe the drive, then clone the bootloader and OS partitions.

Edited by krish9116
added data

1 minute ago, Jamiec1130 said:

The easiest way by far is to simply reinstall Windows onto the SSD. This also helps to avoid potential issues from cloning. 

so i need to create a bootable usb if im not wrong ? my issue is that me and my brother share this computer and he has a seperate user id. so i would prefer that these settings are saved. is there an option to create sucha bootable drive?

2 minutes ago, krish9116 said:

the bootloader partition is the one with the  windows files right? 

It's separate from the C:\ drive, where Windows is. It's not labeled, but it should be a few hundred megabytes.

Just now, krish9116 said:

All of your user profile settings are saved in the account's %APPDATA% folder. If you type this into File Explorer, it'll take you to the directory that you need to back up if you want to save things.

You can also just copy wholesale the C:\Users folder. Though keep in mind that you'll run into permissions gremlins if you do a fresh install and try to transfer the files back.

This is generally NOT ADVISED, I've done it and I've done clean Windows Installs on the same SSD, even once everything is loaded back the same, the SSD with a CLEAN Windows install is noticeably faster then the same that has been cloned.

10 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

hey u were right, i didnt clone the boot loader, i had a system clone operation in todo back up and it gave some problems initially but was finnaly able to get it working. sytem is working fine now and ssd is fully functional. thank you guys.