Modem, Router, Repeater HELP!!!!

Thue500
Go to solution Solved by pmos,
1 minute ago, Thue500 said:

Ah I see, well there are 2 options here, call yousee and ask them to unlock the router/modem configuration, so their systems dont keep overwriting your settings.. Option #1 Disable the firewall for ipv6 (its mostly cookies and script etc).. Option #2 enable bridge mode (turns off the router function) and connect a router to eth port 1 and use that :-)

Hi my dad and I are getting tired of our modem we have gotten from our internet provider. 

I don't know if coaxial cables are used all over the world, but where I live it's the only way I know we can get internet. 

The modem we have sometimes turns off because it gets too hot and if we are too many on the Wi-Fi some of us will get thrown off. (Even my PC that has a direct connection to the modem with cable loses connection.)

I know you can just connect a router with an Ethernet cable from the modem and we will have stronger Wi-Fi.

But we were thinking if you would add a router to the modem all the data still needs to flows through the modem and by that wouldn't it still make the modem the weak link? (Please explain if it’s not ?)

So, we were thinking if it was possible to buy an adapter so the coaxial cable was turned into an Ethernet cable and we could connect it directly to the router with no modem in the middle?

Or if a company like Asus, Linksys etc. sold modems because all the ones I have seen them selling is routers. Or are we just screwed and can’t get anything better that our internet provider is able to give us?  Or do you know a whole 3 idea please tell!

I’m sorry if it was some stupid questions but that’s the reason I’m asking you guys because I don’t know anything about it.

If there is something that I have written you didn’t completely understand, please let me know so I can try again.

Thanks before hand.

Well not everyone uses coaxial I use DSL and there is fiber optic

who is your internet provider?

are there any other that provide internet?

maybe just request a new modem

"(1) High Frame Rates (2) Ultra Graphics Settings (3) Cheap>>>>Choose only two" Chevaishr

https://myanimelist.net/profile/AnalCavity

PCPartPicker URL

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/bsJ8TW 

9 minutes ago, Thue500 said:

Hi my dad and I are getting tired of our modem we have gotten from our internet provider. 

I don't know if coaxial cables are used all over the world, but where I live it's the only way I know we can get internet. 

The modem we have sometimes turns off because it gets too hot and if we are too many on the Wi-Fi some of us will get thrown off. (Even my PC that has a direct connection to the modem with cable loses connection.)

I know you can just connect a router with an Ethernet cable from the modem and we will have stronger Wi-Fi.

But we were thinking if you would add a router to the modem all the data still needs to flows through the modem and by that wouldn't it still make the modem the weak link? (Please explain if it’s not ?)

So, we were thinking if it was possible to buy an adapter so the coaxial cable was turned into an Ethernet cable and we could connect it directly to the router with no modem in the middle?

Or if a company like Asus, Linksys etc. sold modems because all the ones I have seen them selling is routers. Or are we just screwed and can’t get anything better that our internet provider is able to give us?  Or do you know a whole 3 idea please tell!

I’m sorry if it was some stupid questions but that’s the reason I’m asking you guys because I don’t know anything about it.

If there is something that I have written you didn’t completely understand, please let me know so I can try again.

Thanks before hand.

Hey, what ISP in Denmark do you and your dad use?

You can buy replacement, aftermarket modems. You'll need to google what signal type your ISP uses, this is the most important. Once you have the right type of modem, its mostly plug and play, most aftermarket modems will have an auto configuration protocol when you first boot it up, although again, depending on your ISP you might need a login. This is different than your account details with the ISP, but if you need it you can get it easily by calling their service line and explaining you need the modem login details.

If you dont want to spend the money on a new modem, you can try putting a fan on your current one, just a little air movement can do major things for thermals.

Fanboys are the worst thing to happen to the tech community World. Chief among them are Apple fanboys. 

Just now, Zic05 said:

Well not everyone uses coaxial I use DSL and there is fiber optic

who is your internet provider?

are there any other that provide internet?

maybe just request a new modem

1. Okay never heard about it before.

2. It's a danish company called Yousee.

3. There is only one more provider where I live but they are REALLY expensive.

4. The modem we have right know is there newest as of right know

2 minutes ago, pmos said:

Hey, what ISP in Denmark do you and your dad use?

I still live at home but it's Yousee:)

Just now, Thue500 said:

I still live at home but it's Yousee:)

Okay I think I should be able to help you... the modem you have, is it that big white one they replaced with in 2016?

2 minutes ago, Ginger137 said:

You can buy replacement, aftermarket modems. You'll need to google what signal type your ISP uses, this is the most important. Once you have the right type of modem, its mostly plug and play, most aftermarket modems will have an auto configuration protocol when you first boot it up, although again, depending on your ISP you might need a login. This is different than your account details with the ISP, but if you need it you can get it easily by calling their service line and explaining you need the modem login details.

If you dont want to spend the money on a new modem, you can try putting a fan on your current one, just a little air movement can do major things for thermals.

I have tried placing a fan on the modem i helped but we were still thrown off. And I will have a look after an aftermarket modem for our ISP :)

Just now, crashahotrod said:

What internet speed are you promised? I'm trying to suggest a modem and separate router for you

Well we pay for 100 mps but get 130mps. So the speed it pretty good. :)

Ah I see, well there are 2 options here, call yousee and ask them to unlock the router/modem configuration, so their systems dont keep overwriting your settings.. Option #1 Disable the firewall for ipv6 (its mostly cookies and script etc).. Option #2 enable bridge mode (turns off the router function) and connect a router to eth port 1 and use that :-)

7 minutes ago, Thue500 said:

I have tried placing a fan on the modem i helped but we were still thrown off. And I will have a look after an aftermarket modem for our ISP :)

You cannot use custom modems with yousee.

Just now, Thue500 said:

Well we pay for 100 mps but get 130mps. So the speed it pretty good. :)

I suggest getting this modem https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AJHDZSI/ and this router https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BUSDVBQ/

From the research that I did here https://kundeservice.yousee.dk/bredbaand/installation-og-opsaetning/opsaet-dit-yousee-bredbaand the modem should be supported by your ISP because it supports DOCSIS 3.0 but it wouldn't be a bad idea to call you ISP to make sure

1 minute ago, pmos said:

You cannot use custom modems with yousee.

RIP have you tried begging and pleading on the phone lol

1 minute ago, pmos said:

If I took the second option and enabled bridge mode wouldn't the modem still run hot? 

12 minutes ago, Ginger137 said:

this is what I ment to quote in above post

Just now, crashahotrod said:

RIP have you tried begging and pleading on the phone lol

Maybe I should give that a try we have only been with them the last 16 years or so

Just now, Thue500 said:

If I took the second option and enabled bridge mode wouldn't the modem still run hot? 

No, its the routing part that gets it hot :-)

19 minutes ago, Thue500 said:

...The device you are asking for... Is what we call a 'Modem'.

In all seriousness, what you need is JUST a modem.  What you have is a Modem/Router combo, it's two devices in one.  And sometimes they can be crummy.  What you want is a pure modem, a modem that can only hook to ONE computer or must use a router to hook into multiple computers.  Then you can use the router of your choosing.

You have two options:

1) A lot of combination devices have the ability to switch to 'Bridge Mode' where all router functions in the modem are disabled and it works like a simple modem.  You should probably try this first since you can just as easily undo this.

2) Buy a new modem that is JUST a modem.  That however will need you to consult your ISP.  They often have very restricted lists of what modem models are compatible.  So consult your ISP as to what modem models you could switch too.

2 minutes ago, pmos said:

No, its the routing part that gets it hot :-)

Okay so just to be sure. 

I could turn bridge mode on and plug this one: https://www.komplett.dk/product/757756/hardware/netvaerk/routere/asus-rt-ac66u-11ac-ac1750-router# 

into the modem and turn the router functions of on the modem. And the Asus router will do everything? 

And would it be smart or really stupid and work slow or bad?

Fun sidenote, I actually offered yousee's firmware dev to fix the latest firmware for their routers for them :-P

Just now, pmos said:

Fun sidenote, I actually offered yousee's firmware dev to fix the latest firmware for their routers for them :-P

Who are you?! And why haven't i found you before?

Okay so just to be sure. 

I could turn bridge mode on and plug this one: https://www.komplett.dk/product/757756/hardware/netvaerk/routere/asus-rt-ac66u-11ac-ac1750-router# 

into the modem and turn the router functions of on the modem. And the Asus router will do everything? 

And would it be smart or really stupid and work slow or bad?

That would work just fine :-) Just remember to call Yousee and ask them to unlock your configuration, so their automated system doesn't overwrite your settings :-)

Just now, pmos said:

That would work just fine :-) Just remember to call Yousee and ask them to unlock your configuration, so their automated system doesn't overwrite your settings :-)

Okay thanks!! I'm probably gonna ask you next time I'm gonna get network problems :)