Modem, Router, Repeater HELP!!!!

Thue500
Go to solution Solved by pmos,
1 minute ago, Thue500 said:

Ah I see, well there are 2 options here, call yousee and ask them to unlock the router/modem configuration, so their systems dont keep overwriting your settings.. Option #1 Disable the firewall for ipv6 (its mostly cookies and script etc).. Option #2 enable bridge mode (turns off the router function) and connect a router to eth port 1 and use that :-)

Just now, Thue500 said:

Okay thanks!! I'm probably gonna ask you next time I'm gonna get network problems :)

hehe no problem :-) You know how to reach me now :P

Just now, Thue500 said:

Okay so just to be sure. 

I could turn bridge mode on and plug this one: https://www.komplett.dk/product/757756/hardware/netvaerk/routere/asus-rt-ac66u-11ac-ac1750-router# 

into the modem and turn the router functions of on the modem. And the Asus router will do everything? 

And would it be smart or really stupid and work slow or bad?

The Asus router will do all the routing.  I actually have this router and it's pretty great.  It does 'Only' have USB2 ports, there's an AC68U model that has USB3.  ...If that matters to you.  Otherwise both are nearly the same.  There's a lot of 'pretty great' modems in that price range that'll do what you need and have lots of features, the AC66U is def on that list.

But yeah, I have a 'pure modem', a Hitron CDA3-20 specifically, it has three ports, coax, ethernet, power.  It can hook directly up to one computer or it can use a router and then every other computer/phone/tablet/game console/smart TV is connected to my AC66U.  And that's it.  The AC66U does everything.  In fact there's NO configuration for my modem.  Since it has no routing function, I as a user, can't do ANYTHING to it when I log in.  It just plugs in and goes.  There's literally no functions for the user in my modem.  If you switch your modem to bridge mode it SHOULD behave basically the same.  All the router functions, wifi password, port forwarding, ect, all of that was handled by the router function of your modem, which would then be handled by the AC66U or whatever other router you go with.

1 minute ago, AshleyAshes said:

The Asus router will do all the routing.  I actually have this router and it's pretty great.  It does 'Only' have USB2 ports, there's an AC68U model that has USB3.  ...If that matters to you.  Otherwise both are nearly the same.  There's a lot of 'pretty great' modems in that price range that'll do what you need and have lots of features, the AC66U is def on that list.

But yeah, I have a 'pure modem', a Hitron CDA3-20 specifically, it has three ports, coax, ethernet, power.  It can hook directly up to one computer or it can use a router and then every other computer/phone/tablet/game console/smart TV is connected to my AC66U.  And that's it.  The AC66U does everything.  In fact there's NO configuration for my modem.  Since it has no routing function, I as a user, can't do ANYTHING to it when I log in.  It just plugs in and goes.  There's literally no functions for the user in my modem.  If you switch your modem to bridge mode it SHOULD behave basically the same.  All the router functions, wifi password, port forwarding, ect, all of that was handled by the router function of your modem, which would then be handled by the AC66U or whatever other router you go with.

Okay but pmos mentioned above than my provider Yousee don't really allow modems that they haven't allowed ;(

Maybe asking a bit stupid but what do you use the Usb cables for?

3 minutes ago, pmos said:

hehe no problem :-) You know how to reach me now :P

BTW thank you very much for your help and time! :)

3 minutes ago, Thue500 said:

Who are you?! And why haven't i found you before?

Hehe I'm just a dad who is obsessed with technology and security and its not too long since I signed up for an account here :-)

Just now, Thue500 said:

Okay but pmos mentioned above than my provider Yousee don't really allow modems that they haven't allowed ;(

Maybe asking a bit stupid but what do you use the Usb cables for?

Yeah, from here in Canada, I know nothing about your ISP, so I can't help you there.  But if you can just throw the modem into bridge mode, it'll become 'a dumb modem' until you change it back.

You can connect a USB printer to the router and share it over the network to all computers.  You can also hook USB external hard drives and the router can then share the files on those drives to multiple computers. (This is obviously where USB3 would be an advantage).  And interestingly, I can use a USB cable on my android cellphone, put the phone into modem mode, hook it into the routers USB port, and then the router can use my cellphone as the modem for all computers on my network.  This would really only be useful if my cable ISP was out of commission.  ...And I wanted to rip a hole into my cellphone's 'unlimited*' dataplan. o.O  I've never actually USED the 3G modem function.

I just have an old printer on the router. :P

Oh and a last thing, when you call Yousee to unlock your router configuration.. ask for extended support (Udvidet support).. just to save 10 minutes on the phone.. normally the fontline support won't know what you are talking about (They dont have much more IT skills than using Microsoft office) and transfer you to extended support :-)

8 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Yeah, from here in Canada, I know nothing about your ISP, so I can't help you there.  But if you can just throw the modem into bridge mode, it'll become 'a dumb modem' until you change it back.

You can connect a USB printer to the router and share it over the network to all computers.  You can also hook USB external hard drives and the router can then share the files on those drives to multiple computers. (This is obviously where USB3 would be an advantage).  And interestingly, I can use a USB cable on my android cellphone, put the phone into modem mode, hook it into the routers USB port, and then the router can use my cellphone as the modem for all computers on my network.  This would really only be useful if my cable ISP was out of commission.  ...And I wanted to rip a hole into my cellphone's 'unlimited*' dataplan. o.O  I've never actually USED the 3G modem function.

I just have an old printer on the router. :P

Thank you very much for your time and help also :) have a nice morning/evening/afternoon/night 

Just now, pmos said:

Oh and a last thing, when you call Yousee to unlock your router configuration.. ask for extended support (Udvidet support).. just to save 10 minutes on the phone.. normally the fontline support won't know what you are talking about (They dont have much more IT skills than using Microsoft office) and transfer you to extended support :-)

Hahaha I will remember