Regarding the Windows Creators update, HDR and games

TyagoDani

Hey, sup guys! Hope you all having a great weekend.

It's good to be back on the forums.

So, I went early bird all the way on board the Windows "Creators" update because a month ago or so I got myself an LG 43UH650V and wanted to see what impact HDR would have on games and all that.

After some HDMI cable issues I found one that could handle the bandwidth and turned on the "HDR and advanced color" option in Windows and the TV said it was displaying HDR content and all that but to my surprise the image looked more washed out than before, darker and generally worse than in SDR mode. The whites of the explorer look almost gray and the cursor is definitely gray.

My immediate thought was that the deskptop wasn't yet ready for HDR because lazy ass microsoft and all that so I went ahead and loaded both doom and rise of teh tomb raider but still, no visible HDR. Just a more plain picture.

Next I played some HDR demo clips I had and voila, everything looks good! White is white and the colors look on point. I turned of HDR to make sure it was really working and the result were standard colors.

I've dived down all the settings on windows and the nvidia control pannel but nothing helps.

I know tomb raider was supposed to get an update to support HDR and that that has not yet come out but at the least I think it shouldnt have a negative impact when running in HDR mode and the fact that the desktop looks the way it does just confuses the matters even more.

So, I wanted to have you guys' opinion and experiences regarding this and try to get this working correctly.

Here are my current specs:

i7 6700k

GTX 1080 (up to date drivers)

WIndows 10 Pro Creators Update 1703

High Speed HDMI cable (before you go all on top of me saying it's cable and all that, I know I need an HDMI 2.0 certified cable for HDR but this one is clearly working and anyway I'm getting a certified one because the one I had going through my wall doesn't even handle 2160@30Hz 4:2:0)

LG 43UH650V

When in SDR mode it runs at RGB full gama 8 bit color depth and in HDR mode it runs at 4:2:2 chroma sampling with 12 bit color depth.

Hope I've made myself somewhat clear in all those shenanigans.

Thanks in advance :)

Ty

Same issue!  Turn on HDR and the screen goes very bland, loses all very light and very dark contrasts.  I put on a HDR game and it's fine but normaly stuff I have to turn it off in settings to get the colours right.  I haven't got HDR video to work on my PC though, i'd like to know what you use?  I use JRiver Media Center for most of my content.

I'm guessing it will need to have a update to make it more compatible.

I'm guessing you will turn HDR on when you want to watch HDR content or play HDR games and turn HDR off at all other times. Would've made more sense for the operating system to turn HDR on and off automatically when needed.

Also games that don't support HDR will need to be updated still. I would think dx12 games will get HDR support but dx11 games I doubt it.

- Open nvcplui.exe (Nvidia Control Panel, not Geforce Experience)

- Under the "Display" menue on the left hand toolbar, go to "Change Resolution"

- In section "3" make sure "Output Dynamic Range" is set to "Full"

On 10/04/2017 at 1:48 PM, tomlinix said:

Same issue!  Turn on HDR and the screen goes very bland, loses all very light and very dark contrasts.  I put on a HDR game and it's fine but normaly stuff I have to turn it off in settings to get the colours right.  I haven't got HDR video to work on my PC though, i'd like to know what you use?  I use JRiver Media Center for most of my content.

what games do you have that are supporting HDR?

On 10/04/2017 at 1:48 PM, tomlinix said:

also, i'm just using  windows' default player. works with the HDR clips I have

On 11/04/2017 at 7:51 AM, Neutrino said:

- Open nvcplui.exe (Nvidia Control Panel, not Geforce Experience)

- Under the "Display" menue on the left hand toolbar, go to "Change Resolution"

- In section "3" make sure "Output Dynamic Range" is set to "Full"

that does not work for 10 or 12 bit color depth over HDMI since you have to use chroma sampling. it get's automatically set to limited and can't be changed

I have been having this same issue with a Sony Bravia XBR43X800D, and after looking in Nvidia Control Panel, I noticed that the refresh rate was set to 30. HDR and advanced color mode was on in settings and everything was washed out and gray. When I changed the refresh rate to 60, all of my colors came back, and the HDR mode was still set to on in settings. Seems to have resolved my issue. Hopefully it will work for you as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I have W10 creators update. If I use the Windows HDR on my LG OLED TV the picture is all washed out and very dimm.

This disables Nvidia color control. If I disable Windows HDR and use Nvidia RGB Full, color is back to life and bright.

Which one is suppose to be better, Is Windows HDR broken? Surely it is not suppose to look washed out and dimm.

Ok, rolling back to 378.92 removes the washed out dimmed colors. Desktop will be in RGB Full, and games will automatically use HDR mode when launched, and they won't be washed out like when using 381.89.

On 5/1/2017 at 6:02 AM, shadow85 said:

Ok, rolling back to 378.92 removes the washed out dimmed colors. Desktop will be in RGB Full, and games will automatically use HDR mode when launched, and they won't be washed out like when using 381.89.

This also works for me. Thank you. I'm on Samsung KS8000 TV with 1080ti, for reference. So this seems to be an issue between GPU drivers and Windows 10 Creator's, as the option for HDR doesn't even appear under Windows "Display Settings" anymore with this rollback.

• 4 weeks later...

Also reverting to 378.92. I'll also add that windows & GFE forcing new driver updates on me is E X T R E M E L Y annoying. Had to add values to the registry to prevent this behavior. This is ludicrous. Nvidia & Microsoft can share the award for utter shit software on this issue.

Registry Edit: https://www.howtogeek.com/302595/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-automatically-updating-hardware-drivers/

That's no moon, that's a death ball !
K'Nex Server -- R9 290 Alpenföhn Peter Review -- Philips BDM4065UC Review
CPU Intel i5-4760K @ 4.3Ghz MEM 4x 4GB Cucial Ballistix 1600 LP MOBO Asus Maximus VI Gene GPU 980Ti G1 @ 1.47Ghz SSD 3x Samsung 840 EVO 240GB Raid0 CASE Silverstone SG10 DISPLAY Philips BDM4065UC 40" UHD

Windows 10 is at fault as since the creators update it takes control of HDR from the graphics driver and implements it in a half arse manner by simulating sRGB colour space resulting in the brightness value being too low for high nit tvs.i got this from the Geforce forum.Only Microsoft can fix this or you can roll back to driver 378.92 if you use Nvidia and this gives control back to the graphics driver where you will no longer have a setting in windows for it.

On 2017-6-8 at 10:39 AM, simonq73 said:

Windows 10 is at fault as since the creators update it takes control of HDR from the graphics driver and implements it in a half arse manner by simulating sRGB colour space resulting in the brightness value being too low for high nit tvs.i got this from the Geforce forum.Only Microsoft can fix this or you can roll back to driver 378.92 if you use Nvidia and this gives control back to the graphics driver where you will no longer have a setting in windows for it.

It wasn't working either before the creators update nor with that driver, but it's now fixed and working quite nicely :)

On 6/14/2017 at 1:26 PM, TyagoDani said:

It wasn't working either before the creators update nor with that driver, but it's now fixed and working quite nicely :)

GTX1080 with 382.53 Drivers & Win10 Pro 15063, NO JOY

CPU Intel i5-4760K @ 4.3Ghz MEM 4x 4GB Cucial Ballistix 1600 LP MOBO Asus Maximus VI Gene GPU 980Ti G1 @ 1.47Ghz SSD 3x Samsung 840 EVO 240GB Raid0 CASE Silverstone SG10 DISPLAY Philips BDM4065UC 40" UHD

7 hours ago, Zerreth said:

GTX1080 with 382.53 Drivers & Win10 Pro 15063, NO JOY

Is the display on your signature the one you are referring to that isn't working with HDR? Because if so, it isn't HDR compliant

On 6/16/2017 at 2:31 AM, TyagoDani said:

Is the display on your signature the one you are referring to that isn't working with HDR? Because if so, it isn't HDR compliant

No shit. 9_9

I'm using a Samsung UE55KS7000. When using MADvr with MPC-HD, setting display to advanced color mode will display some LG & Sony HDR tech demos properly (LG Cinematic Jazz HDR10 is amazing when displayed properly), but others are completely fucked up black & blue colors or have highlights clipped. The whole win10 desktop looks dark and washed out. Windows Built in Movies & TV app seems to be the best & most stable for HDR playback, but it will sometimes lock you to certain audio languages and has shitty subtitle support. The Nvidia forums and AV forums are filled with complaints about these issues.

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/06/2017 at 11:05 PM, Zerreth said:

No shit. 9_9

I'm using a Samsung UE55KS7000. When using MADvr with MPC-HD, setting display to advanced color mode will display some LG & Sony HDR tech demos properly (LG Cinematic Jazz HDR10 is amazing when displayed properly), but others are completely fucked up black & blue colors or have highlights clipped. The whole win10 desktop looks dark and washed out. Windows Built in Movies & TV app seems to be the best & most stable for HDR playback, but it will sometimes lock you to certain audio languages and has shitty subtitle support. The Nvidia forums and AV forums are filled with complaints about these issues.

lmao :D

I've had a similar issue and believe it or not the culprit was the god damn hdmi cable, but since you can watch some content that is most definitly not the case.

When you output an HDR signal to the TV does it show the message that "An HDR video is playing"? And have you also turned up the birghtness, set the colour space to auto and perhaps messed arround with the background dimming (think it's called smart led)?

P.S.: sorry for taking too long to get back, completely forgot to check the forums 9_9

• 1 month later...

So, I notice the majority of this thread seems to be mentioning the "grayed-out/log-like" look of Windows after turning on the HDR/Advanced Color switch and the "solutions" you'll recommended were random things you tried attempting to get Windows to display the higher bit color accurately without fiddling with Nvidia control panel. If you simply turn the HDR switch to On, completely Shut Down the computer, and then Restart it, you will notice that the switch will still be activated to allow for HDR games but it will actually display HDR photos, videos and anything else you could want accurately. Video files recorded in a log format nearly display color accurate (where as they normally look "grayed-out" when in Rec 709 with HDR switch Off much like Windows looks after flipping the switch). Unfortunately, videos, photos (your background pic) and websites that are displaying only Rec 709 colors will look awful and over saturated. I graded my own HDR image for the background and it looks glorious and Windows UI is perfectly legible. 

• 3 weeks later...

I used the Radeon Settings and clicked on colour in the top right . From there bump your brightness up to around 10 and your contrast up to about 180 . Hope this helps . I would imagine nVidia have a similar tool . 

• 1 month later...

I read that somewhere that you must set your  (LG) TV input name to other thing than "PC" to make HDR in games work with Creator Update with the new Nvidia drivers post 378.92 or the TV was displaying HDR icon but the image was dull gray no matter what I set in nvidia control panel. I tried it again lately and, strangely,  it works... Except in Mass Effect Andromeda.

I don't know if the coming update is going to fix this super broken implementation. That's improved though. The HDR switch in Shadow Warrior 2 enable or disabe the Windows Display settings HDR toggle.