Overclocked Temperature Issues??

Hi

I've just attempted my first overclock, nothing major i essentially used the wizard on the motherboard. and now while im getting much faster clock speeds (and everything else that goes with it) the CPU temp is a little worrying.

I'm running an ASUS Z270E, i7-7700k with an NZXT x52 AIO and the idle temperature is around 45-50c with little spikes towards 60. I was expecting a jump in the temperature but this is nearly 20 degrees! When I've run the validator on CPU-z or the system benchmarking software from UserBenchmark when the load gets up to the 80% 90% mark the core temperatures are touching the mid 90s, it didnt get any hotter than that but lets say i was nearly about to kill the benchmark off when the load died away, i dont want to play any intensive games with it like this in case i fry something.

Apologies for my epic ignorance. I've reset to factory for the time being to be safe.

oh...i think the fans on the rad are in pull config? its a front mounted rad, with the rad between the case and the fans and the fans dragging air from outside in.

fan set up and system stats from NZXT CAM software

Never use the overclocking wizards on the motherboard/included software. They often raise voltages far beyond what is needed or recommended.

Set it back to stock. Read a few overclocking tutorials for your processor, and take your time to do it slowly and carefully.

Make small changes, and test at each step as you go for stability, idle and load temperatures.

5 minutes ago, DrMikeNZ said:

Never use the overclocking wizards on the motherboard/included software. They often raise voltages far beyond what is needed or recommended.

Set it back to stock. Read a few overclocking tutorials for your processor, and take your time to do it slowly and carefully.

Make small changes, and test at each step as you go for stability, idle and load temperatures.

Makes you wonder why they include the OC wizard if they are borderline dangerous to use.

I have seen other people talking about a stable overclock. I assume this means no weird load spikes or clock speed fluctuations?

2 hours ago, RedShift7 said:

Makes you wonder why they include the OC wizard if they are borderline dangerous to use.

I have seen other people talking about a stable overclock. I assume this means no weird load spikes or clock speed fluctuations?

Usually means that their CPU has passed stress testing with something like Aida64 or similar.

By stress testing, you can see how stable your overclock is and what temps it's generating. If the PC crashes or temps go crazy high, you might want to dial it back.

Clock fluctuations can happen due to 2 things.

1. There's not much usage and your CPU will clock back as full speed is not needed

2. Your CPU is overheating and needs to clock back to avoid damage.

The 7700K is quite easy to OC (at least in my experience).

I got mine running at 4.8Ghz (Vcore 1.24) with Aida64 full load temps of about 70-80 with air cooling (Noctua NH-U12S).

I tested this setup with 1 hour of Aida64 stability test and Intel's Extreme Tuning Utility.

Go slow with overclocks and test each step of the way and you'll find out how far your CPU can go without overheating and without crashing.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

5 hours ago, RedShift7 said:

It makes inexperienced users happy. That's all there is to it: "i'm a noob at OC, just push this switch and ZOOM, have nice OC now. Yay, I'm happy I bought this mobo!"... really, that's the only reason.

5 hours ago, RedShift7 said:

This means that there are no crashes / freezes / BSODs / wrong calculations or generally weird behaviour. You can't really know for sure if your CPU is stable, so to try and verify that, people run stress test that push the CPU to it's limits: if you run those for a while and you find no problems, it's likely that your OC is stable; on the other hand, failing a stress test would indicate an unstable OC, which means you have to back down on it.

Generally, I recommend finding the max voltage and then going for clocks. Here's a quick guide to it.

On 12/03/2017 at 3:36 PM, Imakuni said:

Quick guide:

1. Put voltage on manual, I suggest 1.2v as a starting point. Leave the frequency at stock.
  2. Stress test with Prime95 Small FFT for about 10min.
  3. If max temp is:
    1. Below 81C, increase voltage a notch and repeat step 2
    2. Between 81~83, move on.
    3. Above 83, reduce voltage a notch and repeat setp 2.
  4. Once you've found your max voltage, start increasing core frequency. Stress for about 1h, until you've found instability; at that point, back off to the previous value.
  5. Once you've got that, go for a lengthier 8~24h test. If stable, congrats, you've got your OC. Otherwise, knock the multiplier down a little.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!