Overclocking Stability 7700k

My main query is does an overclock need to be stable with AVX/AVX2. Many motherboards, mine included (msi gaming M7), offer the option of auto reducing clock speeds for AVX. I find that things run fine but give it a few mins on OCCT and errors occur. The computer does not crash or blue screen. Is there another piece of software to test stability with. (prime95 also uses AVX as far as I am aware. perhaps it can be disabled?)

My other query is the stability of temperatures with the 7700k. I am coming from an i7 920 where under load the temperatures are basically flat, as in the reach the max and will stay there for the duration without much fluctuation. However with the 7700k I see them bounce all over the place. Generally within 65-70 but then peaking upto 80-85 and more if overclocking more. Why is this? Due to poor thermal compound in between the ihs and die?

Thanks.

Jon

All I'm going to say about OCCT is this: my 8350 at 5ghz passed 24 hours of Aida64 but it fails in 15 minutes on OCCT. I've ran it at that overclock for 8 months now, it has never BSOD or crashed at all in any gaming/workstation application and I leave my PC on for weeks at a time. 

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

---QUOTE ME OR I WILL LIKELY NOT REPLY---

3 hours ago, Vegetable said:

All I'm going to say about OCCT is this: my 8350 at 5ghz passed 24 hours of Aida64 but it fails in 15 minutes on OCCT. I've ran it at that overclock for 8 months now, it has never BSOD or crashed at all in any gaming/workstation application and I leave my PC on for weeks at a time. 

Thanks, out of interest what settings do you tick in the aida64 stability test? stress fpu? ram? etc

20 minutes ago, jonnyb23 said:

Thanks, out of interest what settings do you tick in the aida64 stability test? stress fpu? ram? etc

CPU, FPU, and Cache. I copied the timings from my memory's XMP profile, so I feel no need to stress the memory as well as I'm 100% positive it's stable. 

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

On 3/26/2017 at 2:37 PM, Vegetable said:

CPU, FPU, and Cache. I copied the timings from my memory's XMP profile, so I feel no need to stress the memory as well as I'm 100% positive it's stable. 

So testing with AIDA 64 with stress CPU and FPU ticked @ 5Ghz seems to be going strong. Voltages are at 1.296 in CPU-Z. Still need to play around a bit with voltages potentially could be lower.

Max temp leveled out around 84 degrees C. with averages in the mid to high 70's.

Its odd how programs can be so wildly different... what's the difference between test? I know OCCT with fail as I am sure prime95 probably will too.

Until my GPU turns up I cant do any game testing.

2 hours ago, jonnyb23 said:

So testing with AIDA 64 with stress CPU and FPU ticked @ 5Ghz seems to be going strong. Voltages are at 1.296 in CPU-Z. Still need to play around a bit with voltages potentially could be lower.

Max temp leveled out around 84 degrees C. with averages in the mid to high 70's.

Its odd how programs can be so wildly different... what's the difference between test? I know OCCT with fail as I am sure prime95 probably will too.

Until my GPU turns up I cant do any game testing.

Nice temps for 5Ghz! 

I wouldn't bother with Prime95. It's an unnecessary stress on your CPU. Stick with Aida64.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

20 minutes ago, killcomic said:

Nice temps for 5Ghz! 

I wouldn't bother with Prime95. It's an unnecessary stress on your CPU. Stick with Aida64.

I have a Rockit 88 delidding tool on the way, so hopefully I can get them down even more.

The h115i seems to be doing a decent job too.

2 hours ago, jonnyb23 said:

I have a Rockit 88 delidding tool on the way, so hopefully I can get them down even more.

The h115i seems to be doing a decent job too.

What type of stuff do you normally do with your PC?  I ask because voltage required for stability in AIDA64 tends to be a little on the light side.  You mentioned AVX type stability so I'd say that you'd need quite a bit more voltage then what you're using to pass AIDA64.

Have fun with the delid.  It really does wonders with the 7700k.

9 hours ago, done12many2 said:

What type of stuff do you normally do with your PC?  I ask because voltage required for stability in AIDA64 tends to be a little on the light side.  You mentioned AVX type stability so I'd say that you'd need quite a bit more voltage then what you're using to pass AIDA64.

Have fun with the delid.  It really does wonders with the 7700k.

I will be gaming so not using avx per se although I have heard (maybe wrongly) the odd game does use it.

It was my main query at the beginning though with regards to stability. Are occt and prime 95 just completely over the top with their artificial loads and cause errors where no other normal load would? I haven't had a bsod when testing on occt or prime blend test. Just reports of errors on core # etc  

Temps also get rather high with prime although perhaps the delid will help this.

I also have the option of avx offset in the bios however if this is enabled the aida64 test throttles to the offset which indicates it is using avx. It's kind of weird there is no uniformity for the tests...

1 hour ago, jonnyb23 said:

I will be gaming so not using avx per se although I have heard (maybe wrongly) the odd game does use it.

It was my main query at the beginning though with regards to stability. Are occt and prime 95 just completely over the top with their artificial loads and cause errors where no other normal load would? I haven't had a bsod when testing on occt or prime blend test. Just reports of errors on core # etc  

Temps also get rather high with prime although perhaps the delid will help this.

I also have the option of avx offset in the bios however if this is enabled the aida64 test throttles to the offset which indicates it is using avx. It's kind of weird there is no uniformity for the tests...

I have awoken, to a revived thread, allow me to lend my knowledge. (lol)

So let me get this straight, you're only gaming on this 7700k correct? If you're just playing games, and it's stable in Aida64, then it will be stable in 100% of games. I agree that Aida64 is by far the "lightest" stress test that's commonly used, as Prime95/OCCT result in higher temps even on the same system with the same settings. Considering the above information about AVX and workstation applications that likely would push a 7700k harder than any game could think about, it's completely logical to believe that under specific workloads, an Aida64 test would not be representative of system stability due to the workload.