What monitor to pair with a GTX 1070

Oblisant

I have recently ordered an Asus strix GTX 1070 OC edition but I have not decided on a new monitor yet. So far the two I have been looking at are the Asus PB298Q and the ASUS MG248Q. My main problem in deciding is choosing between a 144hz TN panel (ASUS MG248Q) and a 1440p IPS panel(Asus PB298Q). I am going to be primarily using it for playing games like Skyrim, The Witcher 3, CSGO and BF1. I also want to know if you guys would recommend an Ultra wide for gaming.

My budget is $300 so if you guys have any other recommendations I will gladly accept your advise.

yes i recommend ultra-wide and since you dont play competitive games like cs:go go with the 1140p

that you can overclock to about 80htz

get an ultrawide or s normal 1440p is up to you and the price

Thanks for the help I'm already leaning towards the 1440p monitor but I'm still having trouble deciding 

15 minutes ago, Oblisant said:

I have recently ordered an Asus strix GTX 1070 OC edition but I have not decided on a new monitor yet. So far the two I have been looking at are the Asus PB298Q and the ASUS MG248Q. My main problem in deciding is choosing between a 144hz TN panel (ASUS MG248Q) and a 1440p IPS panel(Asus PB298Q). I am going to be primarily using it for playing games like Skyrim, The Witcher 3, CSGO and BF1. I also want to know if you guys would recommend an Ultra wide for gaming.

My budget is $300 so if you guys have any other recommendations I will gladly accept your advise.

I'd recommend neither (and remind you that 2560x1080 isn't 1440p). Rather, I'd suggest getting a decent IPS, 16:9, 2560x1440 monitor. If your budget stretches to it, get one with G-SYNC, too.

You won't notice the difference between a "good" 1440P TN model and an IPS monitor, as proven in the Asus PG278Q vs PG279Q were the reviewer basically noticed nothing between them. Remember as above, an ultrawide isn't 1440P, and some games are still picky about UW resolutions. You aren't going to get gsync for $300 so I would just get the best you can afford:

http://pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#r=256001440&H=120,240&sort=a8&page=1

However as you can see there, if you're gonna stretch to 144hz 1440P you may aswell spend $20 more and get the Dell Gsync enabled 1440P

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/CwgPxr/dell-s2417dg-238-165hz-monitor-s2417dg

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

17 minutes ago, Oblisant said:

Uhh they are both 1080p, just one is ultra wide and the other has a higher refresh rate. Honestly my choice would be to get a budget utlrawide 1440p monitor if possible, I think you could find one used for under $300. But I am a ghetto pc enthusiast so, yea.