When I overclock my GPU should I put GPU voltage to MAX and the power target to

So I have the ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 8OG and I found this overclocking guide and it says to put the GPU voltage to MAX and the power target to max to and was wondering if that was ok with the OC he was proposing

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?86398-Strix-GTX-1070-Overclocking-Guide

thanks

"(1) High Frame Rates (2) Ultra Graphics Settings (3) Cheap>>>>Choose only two" Chevaishr

https://myanimelist.net/profile/AnalCavity

PCPartPicker URL

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/bsJ8TW 

It is OK. Increasing voltage rarely helps OC on Pascal so you may as well leave it at default settings.

6 minutes ago, Zic05 said:

So I have the ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 8OG and I found this overclocking guide and it says to put the GPU voltage to MAX and the power target to max to and was wondering if that was ok with the OC he was proposing

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?86398-Strix-GTX-1070-Overclocking-Guide

thanks

Dont even touch the voltage as it does nothing, so i guess do whatever you want with it!

power limit is the one that will help you the most here

temp target is a weird one since having it higher would help with throttling but not dynamic throttling that happens in supposedly 10C incriments.  Basically the more power you can give that card and the cooler you can keep it the better your clocks will be overall.  Also if you are running into a power limit you can lower RAM overclocks on it if you have one to give the core more wattage to use

2 minutes ago, Numbafieve said:

Dont even touch the voltage as it does nothing, so i guess do whatever you want with it!

power limit is the one that will help you the most here

temp target is a weird one since having it higher would help with throttling but not dynamic throttling that happens in supposedly 10C incriments.  Basically the more power you can give that card and the cooler you can keep it the better your clocks will be overall.  Also if you are running into a power limit you can lower RAM overclocks on it if you have one to give the core more wattage to use

I would advise against lowering VRAM clocks as performance tends to scale so well with it. I would say even more than from core.

Just now, WereCat said:

I would advise against lowering VRAM clocks as performance tends to scale so well with it. I would say even more than from core.

well dang im clearly missing something, I havent seen much improvement when i overclock my VRAM to the max on my 1070 but i also havent run into power limits in a while too

2 hours ago, WereCat said:

What ? 

Memory oc pretty much only helps with benchmarks because games rarely use the whole bandwidth of the memory anyways,

my 980tis get a 0 performance increase with 500 on the memory but gain loads with 125 on the core 

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

10 minutes ago, jjohnthedon1 said:

What ? 

Memory oc pretty much only helps with benchmarks because games rarely use the whole bandwidth of the memory anyways,

my 980tis get a 0 performance increase with 500 on the memory but gain loads with 125 on the core 

I am talking about Pascal here, not Maxwell.

Clocking up VRAM on my 1060 helped me way more with FPS than going up to 2050MHz on core.

I don't know how it is on Maxwell as I never got it in my hands. Also many reviews like DigitalFoundry review of 1080ti confirms great gains from VRAM clocking just by +150MHz.

11 minutes ago, WereCat said:

I am talking about Pascal here, not Maxwell.

Clocking up VRAM on my 1060 helped me way more with FPS than going up to 2050MHz on core.

I don't know how it is on Maxwell as I never got it in my hands. Also many reviews like DigitalFoundry review of 1080ti confirms great gains from VRAM clocking just by +150MHz.

Post some proof pls because the memory on pascal is faster than maxwell 

i cansee it working a little in the 1060 because of bus width maby but not a 1080ti

also (1600) 

20 minutes ago, jjohnthedon1 said:

Post some proof pls because the memory on pascal is faster than maxwell 

i cansee it working a little in the 1060 because of bus width maby but not a 1080ti

Just play this video at 7:25

He says that just +150Mhz in VRAM got him almost 10% extra performance.

4 hours ago, WereCat said:

Just play this video at 7:25

He says that just +150Mhz in VRAM got him almost 10% extra performance.

He says quiet clearly that ocing the core and memory results in 10 percent performance 

not just over clocking the memory lol 

also (1600) 

40 minutes ago, jjohnthedon1 said:

He says quiet clearly that ocing the core and memory results in 10 percent performance 

not just over clocking the memory lol 

I was playing now in GTA V and trying to move sliders to see what it does with FPS.

My OC is +200MHz on core and +240MHz on VRAM.

When I removed OC I lost 7 FPS average.

Increasing core back to +200MHz got me 3FPS average.

Increasing VRAM back to +240MHz got me 4FPS average.

+200MHz on core is 15% OC

+240MHz on VRAM is 8% OC

Therefore, VRAM OC scales better than Core OC.

I can replicate this in Rise of the Tomb Raider as well, it did nothing for me in BF1 though.

57 minutes ago, WereCat said:

I was playing now in GTA V and trying to move sliders to see what it does with FPS.

My OC is +200MHz on core and +240MHz on VRAM.

When I removed OC I lost 7 FPS average.

Increasing core back to +200MHz got me 3FPS average.

Increasing VRAM back to +240MHz got me 4FPS average.

+200MHz on core is 15% OC

+240MHz on VRAM is 8% OC

Therefore, VRAM OC scales better than Core OC.

I can replicate this in Rise of the Tomb Raider as well, it did nothing for me in BF1 though.

Ok but for maxwell a980ti at 1150mhz sits at 76 maxed out gtav and at 1506mhz it sits at 98

also (1600) 

Ok so I ask if I should raise the voltage and now were arguing about the OC so now my question is is the OC the guys proposing on that website good and if you have a different one in mind please make it based on the pascal GPUs and should I turn the voltage to MAX and the power target to max.

Thanks

"(1) High Frame Rates (2) Ultra Graphics Settings (3) Cheap>>>>Choose only two" Chevaishr

PCPartPicker URL

2 hours ago, Zic05 said:

Ok so I ask if I should raise the voltage and now were arguing about the OC so now my question is is the OC the guys proposing on that website good and if you have a different one in mind please make it based on the pascal GPUs and should I turn the voltage to MAX and the power target to max.

Thanks

U can ad up too 87mv in afterburner as the safe cap and the pascal cards are hard capped with voltage anyways

crank it up full see what happens ur card defiantly won't blow up but u might get higher clocks man 

so basically try it, find out for your self instead of Adkin a bunch of internet randoms repeating the same shit that they have seen in videos that u can watch ur self 

also (1600) 

So the overclock proposed in the video made my games giltcher so I lowered the OC by lowering the boost clock to 1865 instead of 1868 MHz and the memory clock down by like 1000, it worked then I raised it to 1000 (300mhz less than he had it in the guide and it worked put power target to max and have

the voltage at one

PCPartPicker URL