Remote PC or...

Hey all,

My life is now taking me very much on the road. But my work has become much much After Effects heavy. My primary line of work is video editing with stuff other people have shot and just want me to put together and make look nice or make cool AE intros. My current build chugs on some stuff... (AMD 8350, 16GB RAM). CPU usage is mostly maxed, and RAM is ALWAYS maxed. I am often working between Premiere and After Effects so I much prefer to keep both open. I already have an SSD.

While building a BA new rig sounds nice, my travels are taking me to Thailand, Mexico, and Berlin and I don't see a desktop going with me for awhile.

I have a Razer Blade 2014 and I love it, but it's only got 8GB ram and it runs into about the same walls as my desktop..

I am NOT interested in getting a massive laptop with desktop class stuff in it.

Who has experience with remote pc subscription services?

Given my work with video, do you think I would be spending a completely unreasonable amount of time dealing with just uploading video and... perhaps having a massive laptop makes more sense?

How well do remote PC services work as you travel the world?

Thanks for all of your perspectives!
-Matt

I think given how intense your workload is, remote computing isn't really a choice, instead you have the choice of carrying a small mini-ITX build + peripherals + monitor around (you could buy one of those 23" 4K screens for portability).

And for editing 4K video I definitely would go 32GB.

As for a laptop, something like an i7-6700HQ + 32GB RAM + SSD would probably do an ok job, you can buy 32GB RAM in 16GB SO-DIMMs if you're having a hard time finding a 32GB laptop that's reasonably priced.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Pretty much anything won't be very smooth of remote desktop solutions splashtop is probably the best price wise since team viewer is expensive as fuck and chrome remote desktop is good free one to have as a back up. though yeah anything other then basic stuff is a bitch over a remote desktop due to lag you may want to try one out use a vpn half wway between you are and where you want to remote from and try it out and that will give you an idea of what it will be like

9 hours ago, Alaradia said:

Pretty much anything won't be very smooth of remote desktop solutions splashtop is probably the best price wise since team viewer is expensive as fuck and chrome remote desktop is good free one to have as a back up. though yeah anything other then basic stuff is a bitch over a remote desktop due to lag you may want to try one out use a vpn half wway between you are and where you want to remote from and try it out and that will give you an idea of what it will be like

Allow me to clarify: I'm not talking about remote PC access. I'm talking about a subscription service to a gaming PC... JayzTwoCents reviewed it... but I can't find it right now.
Does that help?

9 hours ago, Energycore said:

I think given how intense your workload is, remote computing isn't really a choice, instead you have the choice of carrying a small mini-ITX build + peripherals + monitor around (you could buy one of those 23" 4K screens for portability).

And for editing 4K video I definitely would go 32GB.

As for a laptop, something like an i7-6700HQ + 32GB RAM + SSD would probably do an ok job, you can buy 32GB RAM in 16GB SO-DIMMs if you're having a hard time finding a 32GB laptop that's reasonably priced.

Can you link me some recs? Just looking to explore a bit.
Maybe I could use my Blade for most things and then the laptop can be a more stationary thing even though it'd be a dick to carry. They are coming out with some nice suitcase/cases for that stuff..