How do frames work ?

I plan on buying a 144hrz monitor with freesymc but how does that work. Should I use freesymc or should I just leave it off I can get 200 fps with out it. does that help with frame times does the monitor show the frame quicker like the latest one from the graphics card or is freesymc better I'm not really sure.

Use freesync. Think of it like this - your video card pushes a "frame" (like a picture) as many times as it can, we'll say 200 times per second. - note, the time between frames isn't constant, some frames may be separated by 1/400 of a second and other may be separated by 1/100 of a second, but the average time is 1/200 of a second. Your monitor, once every 144 times per second grabs the nearest frame. With freesync, the display grabs a frame as soon as the gpu renders it, essentially giving it a variable refresh rate. This is going to look the smoothest, as frames are grabbed immediately. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

You can have more FPS but if you get more than 144FPS then F-Sync won't function and you will get tearing. So if you want it enabled at all times you will have to limit your maximum FPS with programs like RivaTuner.

If your display is 144, it can only display up to 144 and more than that will cause tearing