Stock Intel cooler questions.

★ Coups ★
Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,

It's the green fan header at the top.

Idle temps don't really matter. Test for load instead. Your temps aren't low but won't cause any harm to the cpu. If you don't have thermal paste, I'd suggest getting some ASAP.

I've had to co back to stock intel cooler for now due to a pump failure omnnmy after market one. 

I have a few questions. The main one is that I cannot find my CPU fan header as it is not labeled. I am using the Asus gryphon z97 armour edition motherboard. 

Secondly is if idle temperatures of 47°c are okay. I only have intake fans at the moment as this should be a temporary fix, and i have no bolts for an exhaust fan on hand. 

Thanks!

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X53 | Motherboard -  Asus Gyphon Z97 Armour Edition | RAM - Corsair Vengeance (2x8GB) 2400Mhz | Graphics Card - MSI GTX 1070 | Power Supply - Corsair CS750M | Storage - Seagate 1TB HDD | Samsung 500GB 850 Evo | Case - Fractal Design ARC Mini R2 | Colour Theme - Generic Red & Black

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals - Corsair RGB Mechanical K70 Keyboard/Corsair M65 Mouse

Click here to give a damn

Usually the CPU fan header is at the top and to the right of the socket. Realistically, you can use any fan header you want. 

If you have any OC on the chip, I would recommend you make a profile in your BIOS to save it then set everything to optimized defaults while you wait for a new after market cooler than can handle the heat put out.

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

11 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

Usually the CPU fan header is at the top and to the right of the socket. Realistically, you can use any fan header you want. 

If you have any OC on the chip, I would recommend you make a profile in your BIOS to save it then set everything to optimized defaults while you wait for a new after market cooler than can handle the heat put out.

Thanks. Is 47c idle okay for it?

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X53 | Motherboard -  Asus Gyphon Z97 Armour Edition | RAM - Corsair Vengeance (2x8GB) 2400Mhz | Graphics Card - MSI GTX 1070 | Power Supply - Corsair CS750M | Storage - Seagate 1TB HDD | Samsung 500GB 850 Evo | Case - Fractal Design ARC Mini R2 | Colour Theme - Generic Red & Black

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals - Corsair RGB Mechanical K70 Keyboard/Corsair M65 Mouse

25 minutes ago, ★ Coups ★ said:

Thanks. Is 47c idle okay for it?

at idle, not really... You should be in the low to mid 30s on a stock cooler at idle unless you are in a sauna....

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

46 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

at idle, not really... You should be in the low to mid 30s on a stock cooler at idle unless you are in a sauna....

Any idea of what could be the cause? 

I have no thermal paste laying around. 

It's the green fan header at the top.

Idle temps don't really matter. Test for load instead. Your temps aren't low but won't cause any harm to the cpu. If you don't have thermal paste, I'd suggest getting some ASAP.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.