Help with 3d designing (fusion 360 - autodesk)

Well - i've seem to run into an issue - my girlfriend insists on decorating our home with 3d printed custom easter eggs - but we've done the designing of the outside but i can't seem to be able to hollow out the egg so that i don't waste precious filament on that - anyone know how to hollow out the inside of a spherical component in any autodesk program???

help

@manikyath

1 minute ago, gtx1060=value said:

Well - i've seem to run into an issue - my girlfriend insists on decorating our home with 3d printed custom easter eggs - but we've done the designing of the outside but i can't seem to be able to hollow out the egg so that i don't waste precious filament on that - anyone know how to hollow out the inside of a spherical component in any autodesk program???

help

@manikyath

Could you design the item in two interlocking sections?

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

1 minute ago, Jamiec1130 said:

Could you design the item in two interlocking sections?

oh yes i can do that but... how would i shell those out so that it's like an egg shell?

7 minutes ago, gtx1060=value said:

oh yes i can do that but... how would i shell those out so that it's like an egg shell?

Its called the "Shell" command seen here towards the right:

a9df77e47e.png

That should do what you want. This is in Inventor, I think its called the same in Solidworks.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

2 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

Its called the "Shell" command seen here towards the right:

a9df77e47e.png

That should do what you want.

tried it - just shelled it out in the shape of a cylinder down the middle :( 

tried it - just shelled it out in the shape of a cylinder down the middle :( 

Really? I made a quick sphere and it shelled correctly without issue. Did you select all of your features? How did you draw the egg shape?

I drew a circle on a plane, cut it in half, the revolved around the axis to make the solid then shelled it. Same method applies to making a basic egg shape.

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

1 minute ago, suchamoneypit said:

Really? I made a quick sphere and it shelled correctly without issue. Did you select all of your features? How did you draw the egg shape?

i created a sphere and then just editing it's body in the form creation page - i'll try again - can you send a screenshot of what settings you used to shell?

1 minute ago, suchamoneypit said:

im only choosing one face - the bottom flat portion - could that be the issue? should i choose the entire thing?

im only choosing one face - the bottom flat portion - could that be the issue? should i choose the entire thing?

that sounds likes it your problem. By selecting only the flat bottom I would even assume it would just shell the cylindrical center.

As far as shell settings, there really aren't any; inside/outside/or both, and then how much to shell. You obviously want an inside shell.

uhm... print with 0% infill and a thicker wall for strength?

10 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

that sounds likes it your problem. By selecting only the flat bottom I would even assume it would just shell the cylindrical center.

As far as shell settings, there really aren't any; inside/outside/or both, and then how much to shell. You obviously want an inside shell.

still doesn't work - i think it's because i've cut parts out using rectangular extrusion cuts to make little designs - what do i do about that?

Just now, manikyath said:

uhm... print with 0% infill and a thicker wall for strength?

tried it once - didn't work - welp 

Just now, gtx1060=value said:

tried it once - didn't work - welp 

which slicer do you use? and which printer?

which slicer do you use? and which printer?

cura - and in terms of printer - my friends - he has a wanhao - just like you :P 

cura - and in terms of printer - my friends - he has a wanhao - just like you :P 

mind sending me a screenshot of cura, with view mode set to layers, and the slider in the middle (so the top of what's visible is the thickest part of the egg, roughly)

mind sending me a screenshot of cura, with view mode set to layers, and the slider in the middle (so the top of what's visible is the thickest part of the egg, roughly)

i can't because it was on my friends computer - but essentially the egg collapsed in on itself - even with thicker layers and walls and higher infil

19 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

i honestly have no idea how to shell it - nothing is working - i mean it'll probably work if i roll back to pre designing and just the shell but i won't be able to get the design back after that

i can't because it was on my friends computer - but essentially the egg collapsed in on itself - even with thicker layers and walls and higher infil

0.1mm layers, 1.2mm top/bottom/wall thickness, and around 13% infill is usually my lucky shot, but the wanhao doesnt like printing round very much, once i figure out a reliable setup i'll share :P

so.. i've found after some tweaking this gives pretty nice results:

- 0.2mm layer height

- 0.8mm on all the vareous thicknesses

- infill is kinda print-dependant to find the ideal, but my rule of thumb of 13% should do, as long as that means the widest part has at least 3 support lines in it.

2 hours ago, manikyath said:

so.. i've found after some tweaking this gives pretty nice results:

- 0.2mm layer height

- 0.8mm on all the vareous thicknesses

- infill is kinda print-dependant to find the ideal, but my rule of thumb of 13% should do, as long as that means the widest part has at least 3 support lines in it.

i am printing this right now at my local libraries ultimaker 2 (canada taxes people too much) and it just collapsed - im still paying 3 bucks too :P