PowerMac G5 server

I am trying to install Ubuntu server onto an old PowerMac G5 I got off craigslist. My problem is that the Mac won't recognize the USB as bootable. When I hit the alt key it doesn't come up as an option to boot from. Help??

I would just use an optical disc. But the G5 will hold you back depending on what you want to do on it. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Just now, Jamiec1130 said:

I would just use an optical disc. But the G5 will hold you back depending on what you want to do on it. 

It's going to be a basic storage server/vpn host. Also the optical disk is broken

Just now, mattbatc said:

It's going to be a basic storage server/vpn host. Also the optical disk is broken

Try a different USB drive?

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

You could put the install on a hard drive and use that to install to the other hard drive, the powermac g5 has sata, or at least the one my dad had had sata. Or you can try another optical drive, dont know about compatibility with the mainboard though. I think you can also boot from a firewire storage device, but you probably dont have any of those?

5 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

A G5 will use a lot of power and not be

all that powerful for what you're trying to do

I'm using it as a temporary machine until I can afford a replacement. I just tried a different USB with no luck

11 minutes ago, mattbatc said:

I am trying to install Ubuntu server onto an old PowerMac G5 I got off craigslist. My problem is that the Mac won't recognize the USB as bootable. When I hit the alt key it doesn't come up as an option to boot from. Help??

what specific distro? You need the powerpc wersion. The normal one won't work.

You can often boot from a usb using openfirmware mode(cmd alt o f)

my g5 won't boot from usb and nees a cd to boot.

Id use a different system if you can, there very power hungry is there is almost no support, and there very slow.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

what specific distro? You need the powerpc wersion. The normal one won't work.

You can often boot from a usb using openfirmware mode(cmd alt o f)

my g5 won't boot from usb and nees a cd to boot.

Id use a different system if you can, there very power hungry is there is almost no support, and there very slow.

I'll try the powerPC version. I am downloading ubuntu server 13.10 as I type

5 minutes ago, mattbatc said:

No luck with either

How are you making the USBs? Copying the ISO?

4 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

How are you making the USBs? Copying the ISO?

unetbootin